Did you mean: 

QSAVE and Command line

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Ron-C
1260 Views, 13 Replies

QSAVE and Command line

This may sound odd, but how can I change the QSAVE macro to say "Completed Save" on the command line when done saving?

All I see is the actual command:    qsave

I woould like to know that it was actually completed. (Our network runs slow at time and not always sure it's completed.

Current macro is :   ^C^C_qsave

Any help greatly appreciated

Ron

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dmfrazier
in reply to: Ron-C

Just add this:

(prompt "\nCompleted Save.")

Message 3 of 14
Kent1Cooper

You could also undefine and redefine the command to include that message, which would mean that you would also get the confirmation if you used ctrl-S, or the so-called Save menu button, or typed Qsave, rather than always needing to use the macro if you want the confirmation.

But I wouldn't -- you could simply rely on the return of the Command: prompt to tell you.  If that comes back without any error message, then the Qsave command was completed.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 14
ampster401
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

agreed.  Besides, just changing the prompt to state "Completed Save" doesn't really check to see if it completed or not.

To do so I imagine it would take a bit of code work to accomplish.

Message 5 of 14
dmfrazier
in reply to: ampster401

If the prompt code follows the save command in the macro, the prompt cannot appear unless/until the save command "completes", which I think would be defined as when it "performs its function with no error codes".  I guess it's possible that the save function might encounter an error that it is not equipped to recognize and report to the operating system or the user, but it would have to be something very unusual, so I think it's reasonable to assume that when the prompt appears, the save was "complete" (and probably "successful").

Message 6 of 14
steve216586

cyclic redundancy check

And you would be correct.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 7 of 14
Ron-C
in reply to: steve216586

Thanks to All !

Ron

Message 8 of 14
dmfrazier

Apparently I'm dense. Smiley Frustrated

How is "cyclic redundancy check" the solution to your issue?

Message 9 of 14
steve216586
in reply to: dmfrazier

That wasn't the part of my response which was the solution. That part was the definition of the solution.

Message 10 of 14
dmfrazier

I guess I must be even denser than I thought, then.

A little (more explicit) help here?

Message 11 of 14
steve216586

CRCs are so called because the check (data verification) value is a redundancy (it expands the message without adding information)

Adding a check to verify if a save was accomplished doesn't add to the save funtion, it just verifies that a save was accomplished. The fact that "QSAVE" appears on the command line is AutoCAD verifying a save. So then to add a line in the command line, through script, after the save to verify what AutoCAD has already verified, is redundant.

Message 12 of 14
dmfrazier

"Adding a check to verify if a save was accomplished doesn't add to the save funtion, it just verifies that a save was accomplished."

But isn't that exactly what the OP was asking for?  ["I would like to know that it was actually completed."]

"The fact that "QSAVE" appears on the command line is AutoCAD verifying a save. So then to add a line in the command line, through script, after the save to verify what AutoCAD has already verified, is redundant."

I think the only conclusion one can make when "QSAVE" appears on the command line is that the user intends (or intended) to execute the QSAVE command.  There is no verification whatsoever.  Since QSAVE doesn't normally return anything to the command line to indicate it is finished, adding the prompt positively verifies that the Qsave command is no longer "busy", doing whatever it is designed to do - in other words "completed".

Message 13 of 14
steve216586

NORMAL

Command:

Command: _QSAVE

Command:

(Save has been executed)

WITH SCRIPT

Command:

Command: _QSAVE

Command: [SAVE COMPLETE]

Command:

(Save has been executed and my script indicates, reduntantly, it HAS been executed)

"There is no verification whatsoever.  Since QSAVE doesn't normally return anything to the command line to indicate it is finished..."

Not sure what you're thinking. When the last "Command:" appears, it verifies that a save has been completed and is waiting for another command to execute. Otherwise, on a program freeze, the last "Command:" would not appear. If a save fault happened during the save, a dialog would pop-up indicating that the save was unsuccessful and even asks if you would like to try again. Hmmm

Message 14 of 14
dmfrazier

You have quoted my comment without the proper context.

You wrote:

The fact that "QSAVE" appears on the command line is AutoCAD verifying a save. So then to add a line in the command line, through script, after the save to verify what AutoCAD has already verified, is redundant."

Which I thought was just a little inaccurate, and to which I replied:

"I think the only conclusion one can make when "QSAVE" appears on the command line is that the user intends (or intended) to execute the QSAVE command.  There is no verification whatsoever. 

Perhaps I should have said "This is no verification..." and then started a new paragraph before writing:

"Since QSAVE doesn't normally return anything to the command line to indicate it is finished, adding the prompt positively verifies that the Qsave command is no longer "busy", doing whatever it is designed to do - in other words "completed"."

As much as this may or may not be just a semantic issue, I do agree with you that the appearance of the command prompt should be sufficient evidence that qsave has finished doing whatever it did. Perhaps in cases where the user is experiencing a delay during the save (which I think is the crux of the OP's issue), it doesn't hurt to have something a little more evident happen (which i think is what s/he requested).

So, now at least I get the meaning behind your original comment, but I still don't see how it qualifies as the solution.  (No big deal, since apparently the actual solution doesn't qualify either.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost