Did you mean: 

Publishing in Backround ""WARNING: Incompatible or missing plot style""

45 REPLIES 45
SOLVED
Message 1 of 46
rculp
9820 Views, 45 Replies

Publishing in Backround ""WARNING: Incompatible or missing plot style""

Publish works as expected in foreground, uses proper page setup plot style and color table an dthe results are black on white.

But when using PUBLISH in background it shows an error for each:

""WARNING: Incompatible or missing plot style""

and the created PDF's are in color instead of balck and white.

Any ideas??

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
45 REPLIES 45
Message 21 of 46
rculp
in reply to: pendean

Mr. Saadallah

The two profiles ARE an Identical match, I checked that once I discovered the application was for some reason using a different profile (which is the REAL problem).  I can publish in foreground from either profile and obtain the desired results.  I've reimported both profiles and the issues remains.  It appears that while it is SAYING it is using the other profile, it is NOT. 

It is NOT a profile problem, the problem is PUBLISH in background is using the WRONG profile or the WRONG plot styles directory.  The needed solution is how do I make PUBLISH in background use the RIGHT profile or the RIGHT plot styles directory.  Why would publish use ANY profile except the CURRENT profile, that appears to be the error that requires a solution. 

I'm not sure it has anything to do with the profile at all, publish in background is just NOT looking in the right plot styles directory for some reason.

My reseller has NO idea, his 'solution' was don't publish in background.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 22 of 46
rculp
in reply to: dgorsman

Mr. dgorsman,

While not true solutions that may be my only option, use a DIFFERENT application to publish.  Anybody having the same or similar issue with 2014??

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 23 of 46
pendean
in reply to: rculp

Everyone's solution is to NOT do bac kground publishing: since you wanted to do it anyway (and I can;t tell from your response if you even tried it) it to only have one AutoCAD profile in place.

PS: if both profiles are identical, why have two? Or is the PC shared with another user?
Message 24 of 46
rculp
in reply to: jggerth

Mr Gerth,

How do you keep the publishing session from stealing focus as it changes drawings??  I've tried running a different session, but the publishing session takes the focus every time it changes drawings or load a menu or any of the other functions it runs while in foreground.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 25 of 46
jggerth

@rculp wrote:

My reseller has NO idea, his 'solution' was don't publish in background.

That's pretty much been the correct answer ever since background plotting/publishing has been listed as a 'feature'.  We users know, and have known!!, that it's unreliable, and that there are alternative effective ways to accomplish the same goal - of plotting while simultaneously working on other drawings, from a second session, to TrueView, to an RDP session to another workstation.

We can't fix it here, and Adesk evidently does not consider it a high priority to solve the underlying coding problem.  If you are on subscription, might I suggest that you log this there as an issue that imacts your productivity.  That might ramp up their response, or not.

If not on subscription, somewhare on the Adesk site is a 'contact us' link, which can also be used to report issues.

Message 26 of 46
jggerth

@rculp wrote:

Mr Gerth,

How do you keep the publishing session from stealing focus as it changes drawings??  I've tried running a different session, but the publishing session takes the focus every time it changes drawings or load a menu or any of the other functions it runs while in foreground.

Well, I can't say I've seen that happen - unless there's been a problem with the drawing -- misshing .shx or some such.  I invariably publsish from SSM whenever i use a second session -- perhaps that's a factor?  Or that none of my startup processes require interactivity or run an mnl/lsp/arx that expects user interaction?

Message 27 of 46
rculp

Mr.. Saadallah,

The difference between the two profiles is a menuload for client specific setting within the drawing.  When I open the same file in the profile it says it is using the second publish session still fails to find the plot style.  It is NOT a profile issue, it is a PUBLISH in background issue.  Avoiding background publish is not a solution it is avoidance.  I can certainly sit here for five or ten minutes and watch the session publish in foreground, but if that is the ONLY way the function works PROPERLY then Autodesk should just eliminate the publish in background option.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 28 of 46
rculp

So Mr. Gerth,

This has been an issue for you on other releases??  We've used it successfully for some time on 2010 without this issue, and now that we're upgrading to 2013 it has become an issue, its not like we're new at this.  I spent no small amount of time searching here for a disccusion of the issue before posting and nothing jumped out, but I may not have hit on the right combination of keywords.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 29 of 46
jggerth

@rculp wrote:

So Mr. Gerth,

This has been an issue for you on other releases??  We've used it successfully for some time on 2010 without this issue, and now that we're upgrading to 2013 it has become an issue, its not like we're new at this.  I spent no small amount of time searching here for a disccusion of the issue before posting and nothing jumped out, but I may not have hit on the right combination of keywords.

Yes, it's been a problem in the past, but since there are effective alternatives, I sinply ignore the feature.  It would be nice if it was 100% reliable, but machs nicht.  Good to hear it did work in 2010 as desired -- that's one of the many version the company skipped - jumping from 2006 to 2009 to 2011 & RSN to 2014.

Similar attitude on my part for RefEdit -- it was responsible for drawing corruption, and I've never trusted it since then.  The workarounds for that are clumsier than for second session plotting, but still preferable to a corrupt dwg.  I know that some peope rely on RefEdit and trust it, but I'll pass on it for anything except block editing.

thinking a bit more, it might be more effective for your processes if you foreground publish in you active session, but then while publishing open a second Acad session to work in. 

Message 30 of 46
dgorsman

There might be some problems with a GUI-less plot system when it comes to dynamically generated content which changes on drawing open - fields, object enablers, and such.  But otherwise, yeah that would be highly useful.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 31 of 46
jggerth

@dgorsman wrote:

There might be some problems with a GUI-less plot system when it comes to dynamically generated content which changes on drawing open - fields, object enablers, and such.  But otherwise, yeah that would be highly useful.

Once you get it working, i want 20% of the second $100K   Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 46
pendean

Like I wrote, repeatedly: you want background publishing and I want to help you get it. Don't confuse my responses with others.

But you seem unwilling to test (by deleting one profile) to find out. You want to fix the problem but you don't want to test to confirm: I'm curious about your dedication to fixing it vs. just arguing about it.

On a side note... If you only need different menus to load between the two profiles, and nothing else, why are you not using WORKSPACES?
OR If it's just different FILE settings, why are you not using Template files?
I am curious about this need for a second profile that does not seem necessary (again, this may simply be a limitation of your descriptions to date).
Message 33 of 46
rculp

Well Mr.. Saadallah, you seem unwilling to talk about the problem and wish to discuss everything else so I am questioning your intentions on being helpful finding a solution to the problem.

I've already tried a great many things before coming to this board.  I did not delete a profile, (its not a profile problem), but I DID recreate BOTH profiles and no change.  I opened the file using the other profile and the issue remains even though it claims to be using that profile. 

I just now deleted the other profile and the issue remains only now it says it is using the current profile.  This is NOT a profile issue.  The application is NOT using the profile and NOT using the paths defined in that profile to find the plot styles.  I'm not quite sure where its looking but its not using any of the directories in the profile or any of the standard suspect directories.  It is not even using a base profile or a base profile search path.  I'm not arguing with anyone, this simply is NOT a profile issue.

What I desire is a SOLUTION to the problem, NOT a work-around or an avoidance or opening ANOTHER application to do what THIS application is intended to do.  And personally I'm not real sure why that's a problem.

~~~~

Not that it matters, but it's easier to control a profile for 200 users than it is it to control the workspace.  Before you ask, currently I'm the only one using 2013 so I don't know if other have the same issue.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 34 of 46
rculp

Thanks Mr. Gerth,

I've tried the second session workaround, but the initial session steals focus fo revery drawing it opens to process.  We'e had NO issue with background publish with any release until now but we jumped from 2010 to 2013.  It has always works as expected.  Same for refedit, but then the dynamic blocks we use are not very complex, and we rarely refecit those.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 35 of 46
rculp

Mr. dgorsman, throw it down in the swamp (https://www.theswamp.org/index) and I throw money at you.  😉

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 36 of 46
pendean

Thank you for finally doing as I asked way back when: so, as a test here I did what you wished to do in R2013 and the Publish set completed (eventually) with no hiccup.

Are you using a specific pagesetup aimed at a system printer? custom pc3 file?
or are you using an override pagesetup?
does the problem occur if you publish to the built-in PDF or DWF?
Again, i'm just trying to help instead of rant.
Message 37 of 46
rculp

Yes I did do what you asked way back when, and, as I knew way back when, it was a non-issue.  Profiles are not the issue.

Yes I'm using a specific page setup, no it is not a custom pc3.  Page setups and pc3 files are not the issue

I don't know if the issue also happens with standard pdf, dwf, those are not the issue.

The issue is Autocad is NOT using the current plot parameters when PUBLISHing in background, it publishes just fine using all the proper parameters in foreground, just not in background. 

An install repair made no difference, neither does the weather or the NFL standings.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 38 of 46
jggerth

@rculp wrote:

..., but the initial session steals focus fo revery drawing it opens to process.  ...

Is anything happening to require/request user interction when the publishing-in-background session steals focus?  SHX Alerts, reconcilliation, or ????

If not, can you minimize that session, and does it still try to steal focus?

Message 39 of 46
rculp

Thanks Mr. Gerth

When running in foreground, it pulls focus to the application for every layout, even running it minimized doesn't help.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 40 of 46
pendean

Pay Attentiion to this statement:
I GOT IT TO WORK JUST FINE IN R2013 HERE, BACKGROUND PUBLISHING 15 SHEETS THROUGH PUBLISH COMMAND.

So, if I can get it to work (single AutoCAd profile), you should be able too. There is somethng different between my test and your setup, so help me, help you, figure it out.

Quetstion you did not answer: are you using an override pagesetup?
In my test, I used the pagesetup defined in each layout.
Question you did not answer: does the problem occur if you publish to the built-in PDF or DWF?
In my test today, it also worked fine to PDF too (same job as previous aimed at our HP 1050c).

I did not write anything about a reinstall: why bring it up? Pointless rant.

"...The issue is Autocad ..."
No kidding 🙂 what on earth do you think we are all talking about so far my friend.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost