Did you mean: 

Processing Image - Not Responding - AutoCAD 2013

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
DanBurrell
5486 Views, 8 Replies

Processing Image - Not Responding - AutoCAD 2013

Hi Everyone

Long time forum reader, first time poster.

We have a user at my organisation that is struggling with the following issue.

He has a drawing that links across our network to upto a dozen .TIFF aerial photos.

When he attempted to load the project, it endlessly gets stuck on "processing images"

Then Autocad becomes non responsive. He can leave this for half an hour with no noticable improvement.

I at first suspected performance issues on his workstation, however his PC is barely registering any stress when this is happening.

Does anyone have any ideas for improvement.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: DanBurrell

TIFF aerial images are huge: a dozen ought to really slow down the program in many instances: what sizes are they?
"Not responding" is an OS alert reminding you to stop clicking while the program is "working" on something: back to my first question.
Message 3 of 9
jggerth1

Following up on Dean's reply -- when you say 'across our network' - are you trying to run with large aerials across a WAN link, or is the server the aerials are on in the same office? same network segment?

Since the aerials do not change - perhapos it would be more reliable if the user copied them to his local workstation _first_, and used Reference Manager to repath the images in the drawing before opening it.

Message 4 of 9
DanBurrell
in reply to: pendean

Hi Pendean

TIFF files are ~25MB each. Since the user could not open the file he could not recall the exact count of files, but he said worsed case was a dozen of said TIFFs

Yeah AutoCAD is certainly showing  "Not responding"

However the machines network utilisation is low, the CPU was less than 10% and the Memory was low as well.

The user left the process for a decent amount of time ~ 15 minutes when i had a look.

He said he had left it for half an hour the day before.

The network location is a network share on a 1GB backbone to a server file share.

Message 5 of 9
pendean

AutoCD slows down quite noticeably with that many TIFF files: it's a fact of life with the product.

So it appears the user's provblem is limited to this one file, correct? Is this the only instamnce of a 'dozen 25mb TIFF' files they have and use?
Message 6 of 9
jggerth1

@DanBurrell wrote:

The network location is a network share on a 1GB backbone to a server file share.

So, am i correct in interpreting that to mean the files are on a remote server?  and the '1Gb backbone' is a Wide Area Network  (WAN) link?

Message 7 of 9
fjimage

i can see you are having trouble processing tiff image files.  just search for tutorial or some codes to help you. hope you will find what you are looking for.

Message 8 of 9
arronlee
in reply to: fjimage

Hi, fjimage.

Thanks for your nice sharing. But I wonder whether the Tiff image processing tool you mentioned above supports the VB.NET platform as well? If it does, I will try it later.

Best regards,

Arron

Message 9 of 9
mrbaze
in reply to: arronlee

The best work around that I've found is to freeze all tiff images before a save. You can set up a simple macro to freeze the image layer, save, unfreeze the layer and then regen. If a file is not opening because you forgot to freeze the images, copy the dwg to your local machine, turn off your internet (unplug the lan/wan), open the file, freeze the images and save. Then put the file back on to your network location. At my office, we're hoping to get the Map options to work in 2016. You can load bing map images directly into cad and it seems to run a lot faster. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost