Did you mean: 

Problems using .xy filters to move verices

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
crispin1
2156 Views, 8 Replies

Problems using .xy filters to move verices

I am trying to move individual vertices in z on a 3d polyline.  Selecting the handle to move, I can type .xy to get an xy filter, and select the desired new xy; I can then select the new z position but whatever I choose, the vertex ends up on the xy plane still.

In other contexts (for example the 3d move tool) the input box just goes red if I try to type .xy.

Can anyone help with this? 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
p_mcknight
in reply to: crispin1

Can you share a file demonstrating the issue or better describe the sequence that you go through?  I tried to recreate the situation on my machine from your description and it seemed to work okay for me.  Are you absolutely certain that the object type is 3D Polyline?  Let me know what other info you can provide.

Message 3 of 9
Neil47

Also check your OSNAPZ setting

Message 4 of 9
crispin1

Hi both, thanks for the responses.  My osnapz variable is set to zero which I believe is the right thing.  It's also definitely a 3d polyline.

I have made a video of me trying the above steps

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/zk6xvhx7jj632b8/SRZhHE9I8_

Any further insight appreciated!

Message 5 of 9
crispin1

And here's the dwg file after that video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/49n40en17tg31xp/3dbug.dwg

Message 6 of 9
p_mcknight

It looks like you don't have your orthogonal mode turned on in the video.  Without that turned on there is no way for you to get to a point above the xy plane without having something to snap to.  If you turn on ortho (F8) it will allow you to specify points along the x, y, and z axis.  Alternatively, if you have objects already at a higher elevation you can use an object snap in conjunction with the xy filter to get their z value.  To try this throw a box (3D solid box) in the drawing and try your excersize again, however this time when selecting the z value use an endpoint or midpoint of an elevated vertice on the box.  If this doesn's seem to make sense I can do a short screen capture video for you later today.

Message 7 of 9
crispin1
in reply to: p_mcknight

Hi Peter that seems to be an alternative way of doing the same thing - thankyou.  So I can't use .xy but I can use ortho mode.

Oddly ortho doesn't let me move coordinates in z only when I'm looking at the front view (on the viewcube).  Even though it works when looking from a corner of the cube.  Any idea why?

Message 8 of 9
p_mcknight

There is a reason but I forget why.  If you do want to move them while looking at the front projection view using orthomode use the actual view rather than the viewcube.  When you change views (using the view toolbar for example) vs the viewcube the ucs changes to match the view.  I believe there is a system variable to change that behavior but personally I like having the two behave differently as it allows me to choose the best one for whatever situation I find myself in.

Message 9 of 9
dbroad

If you are using a .xy filter for the pick point, why not just type the z coordinate in when it asks you?  That method works fine.  The reason that selecting with the mouse doesn't work in 3d views is that AutoCAD doesn't know that you are picking in any particular direction.  When ortho is on and when you are aligned with the z axis, AutoCAD understands that you are picking a z direction.

The other method that works is to use object snap to obtain a point that has the z-elevation you want.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost