Did you mean: 

Problem with extruding/offseting a complex surface

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
twozniak
1019 Views, 9 Replies

Problem with extruding/offseting a complex surface

Hi,

i need to create a solid by extruding/offseting a spline surface  (attached picture). The problem is, a solid created by simply extruding this surface "outside" would cross itself, so autocad does not allow me to do it (neither extruding, surface offsetting is working) I tried to make a cube then using this surface as a splitting spline - however a solid created this way is flat on z-axis. How can I do this ? Everything is fine with the spline as well as a surface - it's closed one. Obviously the problem is in the fact in the self intersection of the extruded solid. So maybe using it to split a solid is a better approach?

I would appreciate any help, i am sitting on this for almost 2 days now.

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Patchy
in reply to: twozniak

Try making a REGION first

Message 3 of 10
nestly2

PRESSPULL will likely extrude it into a solid since PRESSPULL's first function is to create a region (as per Patchy's advice)

You may also try BPOLY (aka BOUNDARY command)  to create a new boundary without the "self-Intersecting" condition.

Message 4 of 10
twozniak
in reply to: Patchy

REGION on what? The spline? It doesn't work since the spline is not z-axis flat. Why would i want it to extrude the surface anyway? (Note i want the surface to extrude in the direction of the normal vector to every point on the surface...something what surface offset does...)
Message 5 of 10
twozniak
in reply to: nestly2

PRESSPULL does not wotk. BOUNDARY also. The spline is not 2D, as i mentioned in the OP.
Message 6 of 10
Patchy

Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 10
nestly2

Maybe post the drawing with your spline, and more detail about what you're trying to accomplish.  The screenshot looks like you're modeling a guitar body, in which case the suggestions already posted should be applicable to a logical workflow.

Message 8 of 10
twozniak
in reply to: nestly2

I want to extrude that green surface in the directions showed by arrows on the picture to get a solid. There is a function that does that, it's called _SURFOFFSET. The spline you're asking is the red one on the picture. What i want to accomplish is actually a second floor of the audience balconies in a concert hall. I hope it is clear now.

Message 9 of 10
nestly2

Perhaps try to THICKEN the surface.... or OFFSET the spline and subtract the resulting extruded solids?

Thicken.gif

Message 10 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I want to extrude that green surface in the directions showed by arrows on the picture to get a solid.

>> There is a function that does that, it's called _SURFOFFSET

Sorry if I misunderstand something, but _SURFOFFSET with option "_SOLID" creates a solid. So what's the question?

From your very first post:

>> The problem is, a solid created by simply extruding this surface "outside" would cross itself

If that is the question then split (_BREAK) your spline into 2 pieces, create then 2 solids and run command _UNION.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost