AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
JasonRuhl
Message 1 of 5 (165 Views)

Printed Drawing Security

165 Views, 4 Replies
07-24-2012 10:38 PM

This is not exactly an AutoCad technical question, but since I am using ACad 2013 I thought this was the best place to post it:

I frequently do drawings for duplexes or single houses that get repeated on other lots. Many times, copies of my drawings are photocopied, the address covered with correction tape (white-out, etc.) and a new address written in.

I have tried to add secuirty features, ie putting a watermark of the address into the background but this doesn't seem to deter people (unbelievably they would prefer to spend hours with correction tape than pay a guy for a correct set of drawings with proper fire ratings, designed to correct lot grades, etc.). This may be surpising to some people but I find this is just part of the building envronment where I am. The people who produce drawings (myself included) need to be careful and put just a few additional barriers in place to prevent super-easy theft of drawings. I'm not talking about similar buildings or copying details, even redrawing the same stuff: Right now I'm talking about blatant copy and paste from one project to another.

Does anyone have anything they currently use for security to prevent or deter this from happening, or even slow it down a little bit? As mentioned before I've tried watermarks with a 10 or 20% screen before but this is all. The primary means of this type of theft seems to happen after the drawings are printed (and the prints are 11x17; so are easy to copy)

Thanks!

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 5 (148 Views)

Re: Printed Drawing Security

07-25-2012 07:26 AM in reply to: JasonRuhl

Make a special line with your company name in it , slip a few in your drawings, if they photocopy and unaware of the line, take them to court.

For electronic file deterence, there is Deter.vlx from Dotsoft.com

and lisp to make entities invisible, and if you can get a hold of the .dwg's that people used yours, uninvisible them.

We won a court case with invisible feature.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 3 of 5 (142 Views)

07-25-2012 07:38 AM in reply to: Patchy

Make sure the no-copy clause is in the contract before legal action gets taken, of course.  And its a good idea to make sure the drawings are yours and not the clients.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 4 of 5 (123 Views)

07-25-2012 10:59 AM in reply to: dgorsman

Try tucking a QRCode in the corners of the border -- looks sorta decorative, not human-readable, but can embed a lot of information if/when you want to end up in court.

Also. make friend with your building department & inspectors - they might tourn out to be an asset in tracking down copies of copies.

Contributor
JasonRuhl
Message 5 of 5 (92 Views)

07-26-2012 07:19 PM in reply to: JGerth

Thanks all, good ideas in here.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube