Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Image Quality 2015 Online Map "Capture" function for plotting?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
DWS44
8805 Views, 22 Replies

Poor Image Quality 2015 Online Map "Capture" function for plotting?

Hi Folks, 

I was excited to see in the 2015 products that Autodesk had added the capability to "Capture" the Online Map Images in order to be able to plot them, but so far, I'm finding the quality of the "capture" to be rather poor and nearly unusable (the word pitiful comes to mind so far, actually). 

Prior to the capture, you can zoom in a see a nice level of detail in the aerial photos, but the "captured" plottable image is of MUCH lower resolution when covering a fairly large area, and the plots look terrible. Am I doing something wrong, or is Autodesk dumbing down the images intentionally to make them look so bad? (perhaps as part of the license from Bing or something?) I've tried seaching both here and Google, but not finding much on the capture function so far.

To explain further, I've attached two images to the post to show what I'm talking about. The first image "ScreenCap1..." is a screen capture from inside AutoCAD 2015 showing the difference in the "captured" plottable photo area (inside the yellow line) vs the original non-plottable live map image outside the capture area. The "captured" image looks terrible. 

If you select one of the images, you get another ribbon with some options for the image...one shows several quality settings from "Optimal" to "Very Fine". One would assume that "Very Fine" would produce a higher-resolution version; however my experience so far is that it is a minimal improvement at best. There is also another button that says "Reload". In that function it states that it will "optimize and increase the resolution of the images that were captured". Again, in my experience the "Reload and Optimize" improvement was minimal at best. The second attached image "ScreenCap2..." shows a comparison from the same area of a file at the native non-plottable image resolution, and versions of the plottable "captured" images when set to either "Very Fine" or after doing the "Reload and Optimize". As you can see, all of the "Captured" versions are pretty bad and nowhere close to the quality of the native map imagery.

So...am I missing something here, or has everyone else found the quality to be as bad?!? Is there a setting or variable somewhere else to control the resolution to use when the images are "captured"? 

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
jggerth1
in reply to: ssemonich

Bing imagery is relatively poor quality, and not reliable or accurate enough positionally for construction purposes.  It's fine, for county-level planning purposes, but trying to get beyond that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.  Aftr all, the design thinking behind Bing was for marketing demographics, and GPS navigation.

You mentioned LABINS, so I'm guessing you are dealing with Florida?  If that's so, FDOT has better quality georeferenced aerials on their website.  Many counties were flown in 2012 or later

Message 22 of 23
erickfg08
in reply to: DWS44

It worked for me when I tried with a smaller area

Message 23 of 23
j_schroeder2
in reply to: Badams

Has anyone tried zooming into the Bing map background to a desirable resolution, taking a capture, then dragging the corner grips of the capture out incrementally until it covers the desired capture area? It appears to work but if i Regen, reload the image, or try to adust the capture quality it will revert back to a lower resolution. I feel like I'm close to an acceptable work around, but not quite there. Anybody else try this with any luck? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost