Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polylines to triangle conversion

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2082 Views, 13 Replies

Polylines to triangle conversion

I am working ona project where I am having DWG files exported from some 3rd party tool. I need to import these DWG files to some other 3D applications. Those applications supports DXF and FBX file but in triangle meshes and not the Polylines.

My DWG files are made up of Polylines, thus I am not able to use them in other 3d applications. So is there a way to convert Polylines to triangles in AutoCAD?

Thanks,

Hitesh

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
braudpat
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello from France

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

Not sure to well understand your problem !?

Have you N 3 points XYZ 3DPolys that you would like to convert to N 3DFaces ?

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

Hello,

I am new to the field, but I believe you understand my problem well. I have dwg file which contain an object made up of 3D polyline mesh. I want to convert that to 3D triangle mesh.

This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressees. Any unauthorized use or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited. E-mails are susceptible to alteration. InTimeTec shall not be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender
Message 4 of 14
braudpat

Hello

Can you share with us your DWG (in ZIP Format) or a small part of you DWG ?

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Hi Pat,

Here is one of my DWG file.

Message 6 of 14
braudpat

Hello from France

Ah OK, in fact you have a DWG with ALREADY many 3DFaces and you want to convert these many 3DFaces to ONE 3D Polymesh ... Is it that you were asking for ??

Sorry for my bad understanding of your question ...

When reading you, I have thought that you had many 3DPoly XYZ (3 XYZ points per 3DPoly) and you would like to convert them to many 3DFaces !

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
Patchy

Click this button

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Hi Pat,

I am not sure if I am able to properly convay my problem. I am novice to this field. Reviewing my file, do you think it is made up of may Polylines? Sorry for being weird 🙂

And I believe this is what I want. I need to import this DWG file to Unreal Engine or Unity. These application accepts triangle meshes and that too in DXF format. I saved this file as DXF in ACAD, but Unreal/unity are not accepting that file. When I import this file to these applications it gets imported, but I am not able to view it there.

Though I tried Using Sketchup to export it to DXF and then imported that DXF to Unreal/Unity using option 'triangulate all faces' and then I am able to view this file.

I am not sure what is going in in all these process. Can you please help me understanding this issue?

Thanks,

Hitesh

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

Thank you Patchy! I will try with that option.
Message 10 of 14
braudpat

Hello Patchy

Yes we can use this command to convert the 2676 3DFaces to 2676 PMESH (3 points XYZ) ...

... and then ??

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
Patchy

Those applications supports DXF and FBX file but in triangle meshes and not the Polylines.

Isn't MESH what he was after instead of 3dfaces?

That button convert them to MESH.

Message 12 of 14
braudpat

Hello Patchy

YES with this command (that I know) we get 2676 PMESHs (of 3 points) corresponding to the 2676 3DFaces (of 3 points) !

But maybe my US/English is not enough fluent , is it the only "thing" asked by the OP ?

because I don't see any ACAD advantages to have 2676 3DFaces or NOW 2676 PMESHs !?

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Note: This file basically represent a tunnel exported through Maptek Vulcan.

I couldn't found that button in ACAD 2015, though I used the command MESHSMOOTHMORE after selecting the the file. It prompts me a message(Attachment 1)

I selected the 'Convert non-mesh object to mesh object option', then it prompts another message(Attachment 2). Here I selected 'Create Mesh' option.

After that I have exported the file as FBX. Now when I import this file in Unity, it appears there but it looks like all the 3D face are splitted (i.e. I can move individual 3D face without moving the entire mesh). Also removing the 3D faces, it object appears hollow. looks like the material is not getting exported or may be it is not available in the origianl file itself.

When I convert the same file using Google Sketchup, and export it as FBX, when I import this in Unity, it appears as a solid mesh so I can't move individual 3D face.

I want this to appear hollow as tunnel and also the 3D face to appear thik so they give the feeling of the tunnel walls. Please help! me which way to proceed.

Thanks,

Hitesh

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Also I found that it does not export both the faces. Is there any solution of this issue?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost