Did you mean: 

Plotting PDF Underlay - incredible bad Quality

34 REPLIES 34
Message 1 of 35
info
18411 Views, 34 Replies

Plotting PDF Underlay - incredible bad Quality

Hey!

I have a PDF-Underlay inserted into AutoCad as an external Reference (PDF Underlay).

Nothing else on my Layout but my stamp and the PDF Underlay in a viewport (as it is pasted into Modelspace).

I doesn’t make a difference though whether the PDF is attached directly onto the Layout.

Big Problem:  The quality of the plotted PDF is just not acceptable. The lines of the stamp are totally fine.

The PDF underlay however prints fuzzy / pixelated.

The PDF underlay that is used is of high quality. The PDF underlay displays as high quality inside of AutoCad when zoomed in, also in preview.

Using the default DWG to PDF printer also tried the Adobe printer.

I already tried a lot of stuff:

Changing the viewport settings.

Changing dpi.

Checking all kinds of boxes in the print setup.

Tried to print it to dwf first.

Inserted the PDF as ole.

Different orientations and also 2014 version.

I need to use this PDF. There is not other way really.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to really post anything from that project either.

Using AutoCad 2015.

I really have no idea what to do anymore.

And I don’t see how it is displayed to badly when plotted while so great while inside of AutoCad.

What I recognized is that in the plotted PDF the PDF underlay is diverted into 4 pictures that I can select with Adobe.

I don’t know how that could help me though.

I thank everybody very much that has any idea, or any help!

I’m really lost here! Any answer much appreciated!

Kind Regards

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
pendean
in reply to: info

Was the PDF underlay scaled at all in modelspace, or did you attach it at it's original 1:1 scale?
Plotting to what driver? Plot parameters are?

And this is a PDF attachment, not an OLE, correct?
Message 3 of 35
3wood

Before we find out the final solution, just try save the PDF file as a high resolution image file (tif, jpg, whatever) and then use the image instead of the pdf file.

Message 4 of 35
info
in reply to: pendean

Hey, thanks for your answer!

Yes I did scale the PDF. However it doesent make any difference when i use 1:1 scale and zoom in, still has bad the quality.

Im using the DWG to PDF driver and also tried the Adobe driver.

The paper size is ISO A2 Landscape. Offset scale and area are all default.

All plot options ticks are off.

Yes its a PDF attachment.

Message 5 of 35
info
in reply to: 3wood

Hey, thanks 3 wood for your answer!

I already did that.  However thats not really an option for me either, because it still has a bad quality.

Thanks for your answers!

Message 6 of 35
3wood

Have you checked the Raster Image Resolution (dpi) settings in your pc3 file?
It is different from Vector and Gradient Resolution (dpi).

plot.PNG

Message 7 of 35
pendean

"...Yes I did scale the PDF..."
That creates fuzzy images, regardless of what scale you plotted it at. PDF must remain at the scale they came in, you might test it by placing your PDFs in paperspace instead and plotting at 1:1 (same with your images of the PDF that you are scaling).

Also, what was the DPI of the PDF to start with? Most are plotted at 150, some at 300, rarely at 600 and almost never at 1200dpi. Not good enough either.

Post actual files, let's all have a look and confirm it for you.

Message 8 of 35
info
in reply to: pendean

Hey thanks again for the answers!

Sorry hadnt had time to reply in a while.

@ pendean

As I said, I also tried the PDF unscaled was pretty much the very same result.

I dont know how to look up a dpi of a PDF, is that even possible?  I thought they dont have one.

This particular PDF was created in another program, but really has a very good quality. So I highly doubt that is any problem.

@3wood 

Thanks for the hint and for the picture manual!

I have the exact same settings as you have, they must be the standard ones.

The quality of my plotted file is however well below something like 400dpi.  I dont think it has anything to do with it. The plotted file is fuzzy, there must be something else causing it.

As I said earlier, Im not at any means allowed to upload any files.

However I did this very small snapshots of both the original PDF and the plotted one:

Original.pngPlotted.png

So thank you again guys for your help!

Kind Regards

Message 9 of 35
info

Hey,

has nobody any idea anymore?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Message 10 of 35
pendean

Stop rescaling your PDF. That always fixes it here. Not sure what part of that you're not understanding. If you need a bigger PDF, create one before you attached it inside AutoCAD, or place it in paperspace to avoid rescaling altogether.

If you truly need to mix and match file formats like that, Adobe Illustrator (not AutoCAD) if the proper software to do what you want.

There is nothing inside AutoCAD to fix a fuzzy PDF file, regardless of what the PDF looks like in another program like your PDF Reader .
Message 11 of 35
tq1918

You could spend the money on a .pdf to .dwg converter.  The converter will make crisp AutoCAD lines out of everything in the original pdf.  Scale by reference after you convert it. 

Our company has one license of that type of program. 

There are free trials out there.  Once you find one you like, you’ll want to do it again.  

Message 12 of 35
info
in reply to: tq1918

Hey,

thank you tq1918 for your hint.

I have one of these tools, unfortunately it will not help me with this project since the PDF linework is to complex to have it converted into .dwg really.

@ pendean

As I said 2 times before, SCALING HAS NOTHING to do with this problem, as it also occures without scaling anything.

Also, the original PDF is of highest quality and not a bit fuzzy, so that isnt the problem either.

In addition, I recently recognized that a couple of plotted PDF files of another project have similar problems with normal autocad linework,

no attached PDFs used there. Im pretty sure that has something to do with AutoCad, but I have no clue on why it only occurs in some instances.

Adobe Illustrator is unfortunately not an option here either, but thanks for the tip.

Im currently reinstalling the entire one entire PC and see if it would fix something.

Kind Regards

Message 13 of 35
dmfrazier

"Different orientations and also 2014 version."

Do you see any difference in the plot quality between rotated and non-rotated underlay/xref object?  (I recall experiencing quality differences with DWF underlays in 2013 even between selecting portrait versus landscape on the plot dialog.)

Have you tried printing a window directly from model space instead of plotting a layout tab?

Do you have access to 2013 to test its quality?

What layer is the underlay inserted on, and what are its plot style settings?

Have you checked the "Underlay Adjust" properties of the underlay object in case something there might be causing this?  

Message 14 of 35
dbroad

I am not sure whether this suggestion is relevant but, if your pdf file plots directly to the printer adequately, I suggest you print only your seal to pdf and use it as a stamp inside Adobe Acrobat (which I assume you already have).   IOW, open your pdf, place your seal stamp on it and print it from Adobe Acrobat.

Adobe has a mixture of formats built in.  TTF fonts plot as vector objects and are easily scaleable, while linework is generally raster.  AutoCAD can print drawings that have TTF fonts to a TTF PDF but I haven't tried preserving the TTF fonts in an underlay.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 15 of 35
tigercadd
in reply to: dbroad

OK, this is a real thing in Civil 3D 2015...

I had just plotted a roadway design sheet with a couple of added viewports for sections along the roadway - looked great.  Changed the location of the viewports in paperspace to better balance the look of the sheets and the plots started to look like crayon drawings.  Deleted the added viewports - same result.  Restarted ACAD and tried again - same result.  Restarted computer - same result.  Restarted ACAD and loaded an older version of the drawing from the week before thinking I could re-do the work for a better result which I had produced a few hours before - No joy. 

I had changed none of the print parameters.  Happens in direct plotting or creating a PDF.  This just happened spontaneously.

I'm using an HP T2500 plotter.  I opened the drawing in ACAD 2009 - same result.  Maybe my print driver got corrupted? - No.  I opened an unrelated drawing from another project and everything is fine.  I'm thinking one of my xrefs is corrupted.

Message 16 of 35
tq1918

plotting "line weights" is the only thing I can think of
Message 17 of 35
tigercadd
in reply to: tq1918

Definately not a lineweights issue.  Heavy line weight would still look smooth.  Additionally, as I explained, the file had plotted fine minutes before.  I had altered the arrangement of some viewports and things went wonky.  Going back to a previous version of the drawing didn't resolve this issue, but plotting still works fine in other projects, so it was not a setting I changed.  This is why I think there is a corrupted xref.

Going to check that now.  Will post back shortly.

No joy.  Will have to re-build the drawing.

Where did all the good AutoDesk programmers go?  This software used to be the pinacle of the programming arts, but has become too boated and unstable.  2009 version was especially bad and cost me TONS of time and money in lost drawings and re-installations.  Looks like 2015 is gonna be more of the same. 

Message 18 of 35
rhelveyPGA9V

The whole point of using a vector based PDF (one that has not been created from an image) is that you CAN scale it without loss of quality...

Here is the solution:

When plotting with "DWG To PDF.pc3" click Properties:

Under the "Device and Document Settings" Tab, click where it says "Custom Properties" then at the bottom of the dialogue box click the "Custom Properties..." button.

Then change the Vector Resolution and Gradient Resolution boxes (I would go ahead and change the "Raster Image Resolution" boxes as well) to a higher DPI.

Personally I had to set them to 2400 DPI before I was satisfied with the plotted quality. It's still not as sharp as it is in the print preview (which baffles me) but it's a heck of a lot sharper than I was getting.

Cheers and good luck,

Robert

Message 19 of 35
agentornge75
in reply to: rhelveyPGA9V

PDFs are vector based, so scaling shouldn't be the issue - you're right. I'm not sure AutoCAD treats them as vector based once attached however.

upping your PC3 files resolutions to the max will increase file size exponentially.  that's not a good solution.  Not to mention, using PDFs in CAD slows down AutoCAD horrendously.

the real solution is this:

Do a file: Save AS in your PDF program, and choose PNG.  Insert as an image.  it plots extremely sharp (just like the PDF does natively), and you dodge all of AutoCAD's PDF attach problems (slowdowns, image quality).

Just like OLE, AutoCAD has taught me that PDF attach comes with more detriments than benefits - to the point of unusability.

Message 20 of 35
RobDraw
in reply to: agentornge75

@agentornge75 wrote:

PDFs are vector based

No, they aren't. Vector based PDFs are relatively new. If the OP had a vector based PDF, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have had the problem.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost