Did you mean: 

Parametric Dimension Label

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
choll
1340 Views, 6 Replies

Parametric Dimension Label

We build custom "standard" machines and send out approval drawings to our customers.  We would like to turn these drawings into nice parametric drawings where we can change a handful of dimensions and the drawing will change to be the correct size.  Our problem is that parametric dimensions cannot be labelled very well.  For instance, we have a dimension called 'Load Height', and it is shown in a couple of views.  But it appears as though you cannot put on a nice label like you can with standard dimensions.  We need to label all our dimensions so our customers can understand the drawing.  Is there a way to label our dimensions so it will print nice and show something like '84" Load Height'. 

Also, we're disappointed that standard dimensions won't move with objects that move.  A simple example is to draw a line and put a standard dimension on it.  Then put a parametric dimension on it.  Change the parametric dimension length and the standard dimension will not move.  Is there a way to link the standard dimension to the line so it gets bigger as the line grows?   

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: choll

Hi,

>> Also, we're disappointed that standard dimensions won't move with objects that move

Sorry, can't agree to that, look to the video I prepared and let me know what I'm doing in another way than you.

DimensionFollowParameterOnLine_2015_AN01.gif

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7
choll
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

Thank you for the response.  What you are showing in your video is just what we'd like to see.  However, that is not how our AutoCAD 2014 is acting.  I did exactly as you show and the standard dimension just stays in place.  (e.g. the 53.01 in your video would not change at all)  Is there a setting I am missing somewhere? 

Craig

Message 4 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

can you upload the drawing that you created from my video?

[EDIT] ... and verify you have the latest servicepack installed [/EDIT]

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 7
choll

Alfred - here you go. 

As for the Service Pack - it shows I have I.18.0.0 - Which I presume means I don't have Service Pack 1.  I will be talking to IT right away about this. 

Message 6 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

set sysvar DIMASSOC to 2, create a new dimension and edit then the line again ... 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 7
choll

Alfred - Thanks so much.  Changing that sysvar fixed the problem.  While we'd rather be able to make the parametric dimensions look nice and just use those, it will be acceptable to just use the standard dimensions and drive them with extra, non-printing parametric dimensions. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost