Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper / Model space

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
riche
765 Views, 10 Replies

Paper / Model space

My installation has a habit of jumping from model space to paper space all by itself. Is there a setting that I am missing that would keep me in model space until I change it to paper space? It has happened to me since release 2013, I just installed 2015 and it does the same thing. It is really frustrating when you have been in model space and then jumps to paper.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ampster401
in reply to: riche

this may help if that is happening when you first open the files...

go into the CUI command and locate the workspace on the left you are using.  Highlight it.  On the right side of that window (click the round button on the bottom right side to expand this window if it isn't already), under the Properties area you will find an entry labeled "Start On".  You can change that option to Model.

HTH

model-tab-default.png

Message 3 of 11
riche
in reply to: ampster401

This is happening as I am drafting. What happens is I am in a layout tab working in model space, but sometimes during a command the space randomly changes itself to paper. This isn't happening quite as frequently with 2015, but it is still happening. I did what you suggested, but I don't know if it will fix the problem I am experiencing. Thank you for your reply.

Message 4 of 11
ampster401

the solution I offered above would only work when you open the files.

There are multiple ways to switch between paper and model space, I bet you might be inadvertently triggering it without realizing.

One of the methods I've gotten used to is double clicking inside or outside of the viewport border.  If you double click inside of it, that activates the viewport so you can work on the model space thru the viewport on the layout tab.  When you are done working on the model tab, then double click outside the viewport border to return you to paper space.

Finding what is causing your issue may be difficult if we cannot nail down when it is happening, ie, thru the use of some custom lisp routine or perhaps a stray double click or two, etc.

Message 5 of 11
riche

I am aware of the double click methods of switching between the workspaces, and I don't think I am inadvertantly doing that. I have a habit of clicking on a command icon, then zooming around to the area I want to use the command. But by the time I get there, I find that I have jumped to paper space.  I am sure that it is relative to my zooming in and out during a command that is causing this to happen, but I wondered if there was a way to lock in the model space.  I observe that while I am zooming in or out with my wheel mouse, that the drawing sometimes goes through a regen, and that is when it may be happening.

Message 6 of 11
ampster401

you do have the ability to lock viewports but lets get back to what command are you using when this happens...

Is it an Acad command supplied with the software or are you running some command from an add-on?

Message 7 of 11
riche

It can be any command, but I notice it mostly when I am copying multiple items from one set of geometry to another. So I guess copy object(s) command is when I notice it happening.
Message 8 of 11
ampster401

you mentioned earlier something to the extent of zooming after you have started a command...

I wonder if you are using zoom > window and the two clicks used to define the zoom window are being picked up by Acad as a double click?

Without knowing the exact moment when this happens, ie, it may take some more troubleshooting to define when it happens, but until then perhaps try locking the viewport/s first then at least you can still work on the model space thru the viewport on the layout tab but at least the zoom factor of your viewport won't be distorted like I bet is happening.

You can lock viewports by selecting the viewport border > right clicking and choose "Display Locked" and then select Yes.  That will lock the viewport zoom scale/orientation but will allow you to modify what you can currently see thru the viewport.

Message 9 of 11
riche

That is a good point, I bet that is what is happening. My partner says that doesn't happen to her at all. I will have to change the way I do that then. Thank you for talking me through this. 🙂
Message 10 of 11
ampster401

not a problem.  This is one of those situations where it's hard to determine what is causing the problem.

Message 11 of 11
fdsdesign1202

it has something to do with the zooming in and out with the wheel.  I am having the same issue.

but it only seems to happen on big file drawings.  I don't use the icons to zoom... it dont matter if you are trying to move an object, copy and object, offset something....  it has to do totally with being in the layout tab...working inside of a viewport, and the zoom wheel... my middle button pan is off, because I like to use my middle button to activate the snap menu....  I've used 2018lt for almost a year and havent had this issue until about a week ago... I will try the zoom, window, and zoom previous, to see if that helps, but that is just as annoying as jumping to paperspace like it does now with the mouse wheel.... I've heard other people talk about theirs was happening after upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10... I have been running this on windows 10 for about 6mos with no problems.....until windows 10 did an auto update about a week ago..... then it all started happening.... also since the last windows updates, autocad seems to fatal error more often....and runs slower now then before the update..... so I am wondering if the windows update is using more memory then before the update, and there isnt enough ram left in reserve to let autocad run smoothly for me.... I have an older computer and it only has 4 gigs of ram which is the min for autocad...and i know my processer is just barely enough....  same with video card..... maybe its time to upgrade my computer?  don't know if that helps, but sounds like my problem is like most I've seen posted....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost