Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF PLOTS won't plot! Why? (DWG to PDF.pc3 configuration file)

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
sboudreau1
28580 Views, 28 Replies

PDF PLOTS won't plot! Why? (DWG to PDF.pc3 configuration file)

After "plotting-to-file" a couple of layouts sheets within one project file (*.DWG), using AutoCAD's DWG to PDF.pc3 plotter configuration file, the resulting PDF files won't plot. Weird how the PDF files read fine and look great! AutoCAD's PDF drivers are golden.

Having never encountered this before I field tested the *.DWGs at three locations using AutoCAD 2014. Twice on my side and one time in the field workstation.

My initial inclination was to troubleshoot the new SECURELOAD, the SECURITY, and other "system tab" and "user preferences" settings. I think I am looking for a security setting that would prevent a DWG to PDF.pc3 plot reject the PDF's call to plot in the resulting file. It is a common plot-to-file of a 3D pump. Two layout tabs, one drawing.

Send me your thoughts on why you think a *.DWG file plotted in Release 2014 using the DWG to PDF.pc3 configuration file would produce a PDF file that can be viewed with superb quality but fail to plot hardcopy.

Thank you kindly,

Professor Boudreau

Joliet Junior College

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
sboudreau1
in reply to: sboudreau1

Looks to have been a couple of features, Remove Hidden Information & Sanitizer Document, located in the Restrictions area that was preventing the PDFs from plotting. I am still not sure what settings in the AutoCAD files are sending those restrictions to Adobe's driver during the plot-to-file sequence so I am still open for ideas!

Thanks.

Scotty Boudreau

Message 3 of 29
cliff

I have the same problem with PDF's created in AutoCAD 2014 plot to PDF.PC3. I have used this feature previously with no problems. Last week my client could not print PDF files I created. I wasn't trying to print them so I didn't know. I went back and tested the PDF's created and they will not print. Opened them in Acrobat X Professional, and aso with the latest Adobe reader. Neither one will allow printing of the pages that open fine and look fine on screen.

Any help in finding the changes needed to fix this would be appreciated!

Message 4 of 29
paterianus
in reply to: cliff

Seeing the same problem in ACADE 2015, hope someone will address this issue, since now plot>project doesn't appear to work now either.

Tags (3)
Message 5 of 29
jayme
in reply to: paterianus

I'm having the same issue.  PDF's seem to plot fine using another PDF writer. My client request to have layers within his PDF. Has anyone found any resolution to this?

Autocad 2014

Thanks

Message 6 of 29
okonforti
in reply to: jayme

Having same issue. I found a work-around for now, if you use the Adobe Reduce Size PDF... you can then print the PDF.
Message 7 of 29
vermylen

Under the PDF Options deselect 'Capture fonts used in the drawing' and select 'Convert all text to geometry', worked for me.

Maybe you can try that.

Cheers,

Nico V.

Message 8 of 29

I was confused when i first tried reading this, for anyone else confused what it should read "In adobe go under tools -->Protection---> Remove hidden information". I found that in our drawing we used a manufacturers text block and it was causing hidden text. When we removed the text it would then print. We then went into the drawing and changed their block for our own and now we dont have that issue anymore.

Message 9 of 29
SergeMAS

Actual solution is this:

Apparently, there is a buggy block in the file somewhere and it contains hidden attributes (which plot as hidden text).

Somehow it upsets the Adobe and the Plotting Error occurs. 

System variable ATTDISP should be set on ON instead of Normal. This fixes the plotting...

You can also locate a buggy blocks - but it could be a difficult task.

Message 10 of 29
ceengineers

Had similar issues with AutoCAD 2017. Didn't have any luck with any of the solutions listed in this thread.

I eventually solved the problem by removing sheets from the PDF and trying to print. Found the problem sheet, then started removing items from the sheet and attempted to print. After much iteration, found a "%%C" string used to create the diameter symbol, or in my case the phase symbol for 3-phase. Substituted the special character for good 'ol  fashioned text and prints just fine.

By the way, what clued me into the special character issue was Acrobat flagged that as a hidden character when attempting to find / remove the hidden information.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 29

The "Remove Hidden Information" worked for me. I found it located under Tools/Redact/Remove Hidden Information. I tried the Tools/Redact/Sanitize Document, but it stripped all the text from my PDF. 

Message 12 of 29
cschnarr
in reply to: SergeMAS

@SergeMAS wrote:

Actual solution is this:

Apparently, there is a buggy block in the file somewhere and it contains hidden attributes (which plot as hidden text).

Somehow it upsets the Adobe and the Plotting Error occurs. 

System variable ATTDISP should be set on ON instead of Normal. This fixes the plotting...

You can also locate a buggy blocks - but it could be a difficult task.

I would not recommend setting ATTDISP to ON. Many attributed blocks contain attributes that are hidden for a reason, and some might contain proprietary information. I would not use this solution.

Another solution described finding instances of AutoCAD "hidden text" such as "%%C", "%%U" and such like. This is also challenging since if you look at things like toleranced dimensions and various other "styles" these type items are embedded all over the place.

Changing the PDF settings to include document fonts would be the most appropriate way to solve this. I ran into a somewhat similar problem when printing Word or Excel to PDF and ending up with garbled strings of characters in place of my text. There was a PDF setting for "don't use document fonts, rely on system fonts" that had to be unchecked. (don't ask me how it got checked ...) This shows that Adobe is very particular about fonts, and the method used to transmit and display them.

I have not used DWG to PDF plotting since this issue happened to me. I started using Adobe PDF as my plotter and created a pc3 file with those settings. I know that is not an option for many of you who might not have Acrobat Professional. I am going to start trying the DWG to PDF plotting again while monitoring the results.

Thank everyone for your thoughts and input here.

Message 13 of 29
JCalitri
in reply to: cschnarr

cschnarr, I looked in the DWG to PDF properties and under Font Handling "Capture fonts used in the drawing" is checked. Is this the same thing you are referencing?

image.png

Thanks.

Message 14 of 29
cschnarr
in reply to: JCalitri

Yes.
Message 15 of 29
cschnarr
in reply to: JCalitri

Yes.
Message 16 of 29
JCalitri
in reply to: cschnarr

Hmm, well that's interesting, because that was checked originally when the plots that gave me the problem were created. On another note, I did use the regular AdobePDF plotter to create the PDF and that worked fine--no trouble printing a physical copy with that file.

Message 17 of 29
mkd63
in reply to: SergeMAS

This doesn't work for me.

Message 18 of 29
mkd63

The best way that I found was to not print DWG to PDF, not ideal if you only have that option. There are free pdf creators you could use for the difficult files until Autodesk helps us here. 

Message 19 of 29
adriennegc.pe

The viewport's mview has to be in wireframe mode: MVIEW>SHADEPLOT>WIREFRAME

Message 20 of 29

it did not work for me. pls help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost