AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Valued Contributor
GPSJane
Message 1 of 22 (1,068 Views)
Accepted Solution

Offset not working in one direction

1068 Views, 21 Replies
08-19-2013 10:28 AM

I have a polyline that meets itself back at the beginning. It should be closed and appears to be. I joined several lines to get the polyline. When I try to offset it I can only offset towards the inside and not the outside. Is there a reason for this or am I doing something wrong?

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 2 of 22 (1,064 Views)

Re: Offset not working in one direction

08-19-2013 10:33 AM in reply to: GPSJane

>> It should be closed and appears to be.

Appearance doesn't mean much when it comes to open or closed Plines.  What do PEdit or the Properties palette say?

WBlock out the pline, and post is as a dwg here so we can look at it.  Generally when I have a non-offset-able pline it's because of overlapping segments/duplicate vertices.  You could use the Properties palette and scroll though the vertex numbers and see where/how the marker jumps to.

Valued Contributor
GPSJane
Message 3 of 22 (1,057 Views)

08-19-2013 10:40 AM in reply to: JGerth

To be honest I have no idea what you just said, except the part about posting here. Ok how do I get the list of vertices to scroll through? In properties inspector I only get normal properties.

Valued Contributor
GPSJane
Message 4 of 22 (1,049 Views)

08-19-2013 10:48 AM in reply to: GPSJane

I figure out the WBLOCK thing but now I get an error here when I try to post: "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."

Valued Contributor
GPSJane
Message 5 of 22 (1,046 Views)

08-19-2013 10:52 AM in reply to: JGerth
Actually does it need to be closed for offset any way?
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 6 of 22 (1,033 Views)

08-19-2013 11:29 AM in reply to: GPSJane

Try zipping up the drawing and attaching that.  usually works better here....

to close or not to close -- you're right that it's not needed for offsetting,  but closing and open pline (or opening a closed one) may show you where the problem is.  the basic rule though on closed vs open is that you can't trust your eyes.  even a pline that starts and ends on the exact same point is not necessarily closed.

to step through the vetices of a pline, there are two basic ways.  Select the Pline, and in the property palette, look at the start of the Geometry section.  Click on the number that's showing, and a pair of <> arrows will appear.  click on one of them, and you'll see the geometry information change, and an 'X' marker move along the pline.  Keep clicking, and see of the X sticks in one spot, or jumps backwards.  If it does, that's your problem area to be repaired.

Second way would be to run the PEDIT command, select the pline, enter "E" for the Edit Vertex option, and use N (next) and P (previous) to step through the vetices.

One option you might want to try  with your original problematic Pline is to offseet it towards the middle, since that works, and then try offsetting _that new Pline_  to the outside while doubling the distance.  dunno - but it might work....

Valued Contributor
GPSJane
Message 7 of 22 (1,026 Views)

08-19-2013 11:40 AM in reply to: JGerth

JGerth thanks so much for the help.

The Geometry section shows insertion points for x, y and z and scale for x, y and z but no numbers or arrows. When I do PEDIT and it says 'select polyline' it just does nothing when I click on it. I don't understand! And I have a headache now.

Why is this so difficult?

Valued Contributor
GPSJane
Message 8 of 22 (1,025 Views)

08-19-2013 11:40 AM in reply to: GPSJane

Oh I forgot this.

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 9 of 22 (1,024 Views)

08-19-2013 11:41 AM in reply to: GPSJane

No, it doesn't need to be closed for offset to work in both directions, so it seems something unusual must be at play.

Since you are having trouble attaching a file (not unusual), if the polyline only has a few vertices, try entering "LIST" on the command-line, select your problem polyline, hit Enter, and then copy the results from the command-line window into a reply.  That might reveal a clue.

Valued Contributor
GPSJane
Message 10 of 22 (1,021 Views)

08-19-2013 11:48 AM in reply to: dmfrazier

I get the same problem; if I type LIST then it askes me to select an object but it does nothing just keeps asking e to select an object when I click on it. Its like I'm going backward.

I did attach that file above though, zipped.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube