Did you mean: 

Null Object and DGNPURGE

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
autocadding
2389 Views, 15 Replies

Null Object and DGNPURGE

Hi,

My office was having the huge-files-from-Microstation problem. We downloaded the DGNPURGE fix and it's working OK. Takes longer for drawings 10,000KB and larger.

Problem is basic users don't process all the drawings, so some huge ones squeak by.. Then they copy from those drawings onto dgnpurged ones, and then those become huge..

Hopefully in future versions they'll have a quicker fix. Consultants sending drawings have not been cooperative purging in advance. Some drawings reach 35,000KB, 50,000KB and more and become unusable.

Once in a while the DGNPURGE doesn't work and then a "Null object" box pops up - what is a null object- is there some way to delete it so the DGNPURGE can continue?

Another solution to reduce drawing size is to WBLOCK the entire drawing - but I don't like to recommend that because all references have to be fully detached and all laywers thawed and turned on. Could be easy to leave stuff out.

Thanks...Smiley Happy

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
rkmcswain
in reply to: autocadding

If you have downloaded and applied the fix per the readme file, then copying objects from "infected" drawings into clean drawings will NOT infect the clean drawings.

Check the 4th paragraph here:
http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2013/07/autocad-dgn-hotfix-now-availa...

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 16
autocadding
in reply to: rkmcswain

Yes, that is true - if the fix has been applied then the new drawing is not infected. However, fix has not been installed in all computers so it's easier for people to remember not to copy from infected drawing to non-infected.

What is a "null object", what can one do when that pops up. Is there a way to locate the null object in the drawing to delete it so that DGNPURGE can be used.

thanks

Message 4 of 16
casquatch

We are also seeing the Null Object error on a drawing we received. Does anyone have a fix for this? The DGNPURGE command is currently useless on this file because of this.

I have just updated my files with the DGN Hotfix here, and haven't seen any different results.

Here is the dialog:

Error.jpg

This dialog appears after the DGNPURGE command is run on this particular drawing file. After clicking Continue, the software remains open, but the DGNPURGE didn't do anything, and the excess DGN items are still in the file.

Any help is greatly appriciated. I'd be happy to supply any other needed info. I am also running AutoCAD MEP 2014 with SP1 installed.

Thanks!

Casey

Tags (2)
Message 5 of 16
rkmcswain
in reply to: casquatch

My guess would be that it ran into some situation the programmers (of DGNPurge) did not account for.

If you want, delete all the graphical entities and post the DWG and I'll check to see if 2015 can purge the DGN data.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 16
casquatch
in reply to: rkmcswain

Just making sure I understand you. You would like me to remove all elements from the file?

If this is correct, I actually had a thought and...

Did a select all (Ctrl+A), copied with a basepoint.

Then selected all and hit delete.

Ran DGNPURGE successfully, then purged normally.

Then pasted it all back in.

It did shrink the file a bit, but it is still large and the DGN elements were still brought back in (as I expected).

If I am correct in thinking that you would like me to remove all elements and post the file, I have a feeling we'd get the same results.

Thanks,
Casey

Message 7 of 16
abubakars

Give a try with Free batch tools available to download from Autodesk Exchange App store which has built-in command to purge the DGN-Linetypes from AutoCAD version 2012 to 2015

BatchInEditor - This would be useful for large amount of files which opens each file in AutoCAD, so user can add their lisp and script routines as well

BatchInDatabase - This would be useful if you want clean large amount of files without opening the files, takes less processing time

LayoutManager - Handy for current drawing opened in AutoCAD which has lots of Layout related commands including command to Purge DGN-linetypes

If this too fails then try the alternatve method as below

You may try the alternative method to remove the DGN linetype using BatchInEditor and this would remove the complete dictionary which may result in loosing of some entities which are using the DGN lintype.

1. Add the command "Lisp Expression" and copy and paste the below lisp code

(dictremove (namedobjdict) "ACAD_DGNLINESTYLECOMP")

2. Add Purge-All command

purge DGN.PNG

Message 8 of 16
casquatch
in reply to: abubakars

I don't believe any other tool will be able to workaround the underlying issue here. From what you said, they all use the DGNPURGE command.

Thanks for the comment though.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Message 9 of 16
abubakars

I have been using the BatchInEditor to clean-up the DGN linetypes with above mentioned two methods without any issue since AutoCAD version 2012 and the OP did not include the problem file, so there is no way to confirm this.

Message 10 of 16
casquatch

Ok. I have tried BatchInEditor and the resulting file was the same size. Didn't appear to have done anything to remove the DGN extra's.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Casey

Message 11 of 16
abubakars

Did you see the batch Status message "DGN Line types - removed" after running the command "Purge - DGN LineTypes"?

to confirm that there is no DGN-Linetypes remains in the pruged drawing, run the command on the saved files once again which will confirm with either one of the below two messages

"DGN Linetypes - not found" or

"Empty DGN linetypes container is deleted"

Did you get any other error messaged while running the command?

How big is the fle size?, the command is effective to reduce the file size only if a file is bloaded by DGN linetype and there may be something else which cause your file to bigger size (hatch, registry applications, annotation scale etc...)

if possible to upload the problem file then I could give my further investigation on that file.

Message 12 of 16
casquatch

As I mentioned before, the command just isn't working. Doesn't matter how it is applied to the file. Here is the log, you'll see the same error I received when running the DGNPURGE command manually in CAD.

I'm not looking to get the DGNPURGE command to run, I'm looking to get around this error. I have been able to use the DGNPURGE command successfully before on other files, this one is different.

Log:

08:28:55 Processing 1 of 1 [1218 DRUID HILLS (ATLANTA) FIXTURE PLAN 6-06-14 - Copy]

08:29:11 Command in Progress...  Purge-DGN LineTypes
08:29:11 Error:  Purge_DGN_LineTypeseNullObjectId

08:29:11 Command in Progress...  Purge-All

08:29:12 Command in Progress...  Super Purge
08:29:15 Saving to Original Version...

08:29:24 _____________________________________
08:29:24 Total no. of Files = 1
08:29:24 Processed = 1
08:29:24 Error: Failed = 0
08:29:24  In Free version maximum no. files per session is limited to 3 files only
08:29:24 _____________________________________

Does anyone know how to get around the error I posted earlier when using the DGNPURGE command?

Thanks,
Casey

Message 13 of 16
abubakars

Casey,

Thanks for the update and could you please try and let me know the result of alternative method mentioned earlier using "Lisp Expression"

I check and get back to you with the way to get around the issue using the "purge-DGN linetypes"

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Ran into the same error message - was able to successfully run DGNPURGE after auditing, purging, and auditing again. 

Message 15 of 16
gamorkos

I've tryed DXFout and close out the file and then reopen it DXFin and then use Dgnpurge. if it didn't work you can use Radical purge tool from Appstor. in my machine, it's the only tool can pure after DXFout & in. 

DXFout will keep all layouts, better than copy past in new file and lose all your sheets. 

Thanks

Message 16 of 16
abzaidan
in reply to: gamorkos

I was successful with dgnpurge after:

1. change the  Line that used line tipe {Arrow}  to standard Autocad type Line.

2. Purge

3. Dgnpurge

.arrowtype.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost