AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Mentor
Bill.Schmid
Message 1 of 25 (9,486 Views)
Accepted Solution

No Thumbnail Preview in File Open Dialog Box - But Only for ONE User

9486 Views, 24 Replies
07-10-2012 11:37 AM

There are four of us in our office who all installed Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2013.  One of us cannot see thumbnail previews in the file open dialog box or in the preview area of Windows explorer.  She's using Windows 7, 64-bit.  We'd like to know how to fix this as it's becoming quite an inconvenience and a hit on productivity.

I've attached screen captures of what she's seeing versus what everyone else is seeing.

Bill Schmid
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 25 (9,478 Views)

Re: No Thumbnail Preview in File Open Dialog Box - But Only for ONE User

07-10-2012 02:46 PM in reply to: Bill.Schmid

>>>.. in the preview area of Windows explorer...<<<

You need to turn on preview in Win7: see attached.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Mentor
Bill.Schmid
Message 3 of 25 (9,465 Views)

07-11-2012 04:50 AM in reply to: pendean

Yes, we are aware of that.  It's setting was verified as being on prior to posting.  We also tried turning it off and back on again.  Still didn't work.

Bill Schmid
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011
Distinguished Contributor
taneum
Message 4 of 25 (9,440 Views)

07-11-2012 03:16 PM in reply to: Bill.Schmid

We are having the same issue here at work.  We just notcied the preview thumbnail is gon in 2013.  We tried the same idea mentioned above with no success and it doesnt seem that any of the options in the options dialog box on the open/save tab have any effect on it either.

Product Support
Albert_Rius
Message 5 of 25 (9,424 Views)

07-13-2012 05:20 AM in reply to: Bill.Schmid

Hi,

This is a tip from a customer with the same problem:

- Check that next key in the registry is setup = 1:
KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.0\ACAD-B001:409\Profiles\your profile\Dialogs\Select File   - PreviewVisible =1

If it's already = 1, turn it to "0" (zero), launch AutoCAD, run the open command (the preview area should not be visible). Close AutoCAD, and change the value of the key back to "1". Is now the preview available?

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Albert Rius
Frontline Technical Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Mentor
Bill.Schmid
Message 6 of 25 (9,421 Views)

07-13-2012 05:30 AM in reply to: Albert_Rius
The user having the problem is out today, so I'll have to wait 'til Monday to have her try it.  But...

I looked at my registry and I'm finding ACAD-B005:409, not ACAD-B001:409.  Would that be the same thing?  Will this affect the ability to see previews in Windows Explorer?  Because while I can see the previews even in explorer, she can't see them anywhere.  

Albert_Rius wrote:

Hi,

This is a tip from a customer with the same problem:

- Check that next key in the registry is setup = 1:
KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.0\ACAD-B001:409\Profiles\your profile\Dialogs\Select File   - PreviewVisible =1

If it's already = 1, turn it to "0" (zero), launch AutoCAD, run the open command (the preview area should not be visible). Close AutoCAD, and change the value of the key back to "1". Is now the preview available?

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Bill Schmid
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011
Product Support
Albert_Rius
Message 7 of 25 (9,416 Views)

07-13-2012 05:41 AM in reply to: Bill.Schmid

Hi,

Yes, the registry key code is the same I just copied it fom my plain AutoCAD and I didin't noticed about your product.

This should affect only the AutoCAD preview. For the Windows one, the previous suggestion from pandean should fix this problem.

Does the Windows Explorer preview works fine for other applications?

Albert Rius
Frontline Technical Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Distinguished Contributor
taneum
Message 8 of 25 (9,403 Views)

07-13-2012 01:04 PM in reply to: Albert_Rius

This registry editor value fixed it in our office.

Mentor
Bill.Schmid
Message 9 of 25 (9,371 Views)

07-16-2012 06:24 AM in reply to: Albert_Rius

Albert,

I had the user try what you suggested and realized that you're not addressing the problem I described.

The issue is NOT with the preview window in the upper right corner of the file open dialog box.  This is the one and only area where she CAN see a preview.  That's not real helpful.  She has to click each file to know what's in it.  She can't quickly scan files in Windows Explorer, either.

As I said in my original post, she can't see THUMBNAIL previews even when the view is set to thumbnail.  Windows won't show them either - even though the option is set to show preview in Windows.

So the issue is both in Windows Explorer and in the file open dialog box of AutoCAD.  I suspect the problem really traces to Windows and that AutoCAD just uses the Windows previews in its dialog box.

Bill Schmid
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011
Contributor
ErikaBruning
Message 10 of 25 (9,359 Views)

07-16-2012 08:58 AM in reply to: Bill.Schmid

In hopes to better clarify, I have attached what my window looks like.

Erika Bruning
Windows 7 64-bit
Autodesk Design Suite Premium 2014

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube