Did you mean: 

Need help with locating a system variable - No block preview on cursor

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
RichardGHawley1971
628 Views, 13 Replies

Need help with locating a system variable - No block preview on cursor

I'm having trouble finding a system variable.

I have blocks in a drawing that were made using the 'retain' method.  WHen I go to insert the block I cannot see the block preview at the crosshair cursor.  The block only becomes visible once I have clicked the left mouse key at the insertion point.

This means I can't rotate it either as I can't see it until I have clicked to place it.

Which system variable (And what setting) will allow me to see the block as I'm inserting it?

Thanks

Richard

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Richard, try

Command: DRAGMODE
Enter new value [ON/OFF/Auto] <OFF>: Auto

HTH

Henrique

EESignature

Message 3 of 14

Hi Henrique

Thanks but unfortunately it doesn't work.  It was already set to Auto and I've tried on but to no avail.

Message 4 of 14

Richard,

when Inserting the Block, is Explode checked?

If so, uncheck Explode, and try...

Henrique

EESignature

Message 5 of 14

Hi Henrique

I unchecked explode and still no luck.  I saw a post on here regarding the same problem with version 2012, I think, but the Autodesk technician who replied to the poster's question didn't leave a resolution.

Message 6 of 14

@RichardGHawley1971 wrote:

Hi Henrique

I unchecked explode and still no luck.  I saw a post on here regarding the same problem with version 2012, I think, but the Autodesk technician who replied to the poster's question didn't leave a resolution.

I also have no more options...

For me with DRAGMODE set to Auto, and Explode uncheck, works as it should.

Which AutoCAD version you're using?

Henrique

EESignature

Message 7 of 14

AutoCAD 2014.  English version. 

Message 8 of 14

@RichardGHawley1971 wrote:

AutoCAD 2014.  English version. 

Tested with AutoCAD 2014, English version, with DRAGMODE set to Auto, and Explode uncheck, works ok.
Richard, unfortunately, at this point I can't see anything that might resolve this issue.
Hopefully somebody else comes up with new ideas...

Henrique

EESignature

Message 9 of 14

Well thanks for your help anyway Henrique.  It's very appreciated.  If I find an answer I'll be sure to share it here.

Thanks again.

Message 10 of 14

Hi,

can you upload the drawing with exact the view and layerstate you have active when trying to insert the block, and let us know what blockname that is, make sure this block is already defined within the drawing so we can try to reproduce that issue?

There might be situations like block is larger than the current view, so you don't see the block dragging, it may be some special layers are used within the blockdefinition or they are swiched off, but are not frozen, or layer 0 is switched off, or ....

Let's see, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 11 of 14

Hi Alfred

Unfortunately I can't - I uninstalled the product (It had been part of the ADN download of the building suite) thinking it might be an issue because it was in the building suite and installed a stand alone version which is now not accepting my ADN serial number so I have had to get in touch with the Licensing team to get it sorted out (And they won't be around till Monday).

The block itself was very simple - I am running through the 2014 edition of 'Mastering AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT 2014' prior to carrying out some technical editing on the next edition.  The block is a smple 2 representation of a bath but I even have block insertion trouble with a simple rectangle saved as a block.

None of them show at the cursor while I am in the process of inerting.  Once the insert opeartion has completed the block is there on the drawing, but as I say if you are inserting with a need to scale or rotate as part of the block placement you can't see it to actually carry out that.

Message 12 of 14

I've had to reinstall AutoCAD 2014 via the building suite again.  Probably a conflict between the building suite and the stand alone AutoCAD.

There is nothing special at all about the blocks.  I can open a new drawing - everything unlocked.  Draw a simple 2280 by 1520 rectangle, turn it into a block and it still happens.

The problem was never in 2013, even when inserting a complex XRef block made up of several components including other blocks.  I can only think there is either a system variable that has to be altered (Although it isnh't DRAGMODE), a problem because it's part of the building suite as other users with just stand alone AutoCAD do not seem to have the problem, or there is a major bug in the 2014 release.

I'm using WIndows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 8 GB RAM, Core i7 3,50GHz.

Message 13 of 14

It would still be useful if you could upload a sample  drawing since many variables are saved in the drawing, not the registry.

Message 14 of 14

Hi All

Again, as with the other issues I have had both on 2013 and 2014, I worked out a workaround for what I had to do, and today the problem decides to resolve itself.

I have no idea why the program should behave this way - I'm stumped.  So the upside is, I no longer have this issue.  I did notice that when inserting the block this morning the explode option box (As mentioned by Henrique earlier) on the block insert dialog box was no longer checked - whereas yesterday I was having to uncheck it myself.  So I'm hoping this thread will help any others having this problem - shut the computer down and see what happens in the morning!

I guess I've fallen prey to one of those odd, anomolies in new programs again Smiley Frustrated

Thanks for your help everyone. And apologies for what must appear to have been a wild goose chase.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost