Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on connecting blocks based on conditions.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
koollightbro
294 Views, 7 Replies

Need help on connecting blocks based on conditions.

Hi everyone, I am currently trying to create a fast way to edit/change my drawing accordingly to the required specs without having to go back and change each item manually. For example, if I have the same product line with different options on it, according to what the customer needs, the product's components will be changed accordingly. Right now I have to pull out reference drawings and change things manually one by one. I am thinking if there is any way I can create my own library of named parts and assign locations for each type. Then when I have the cutomer's spec, I can just input that information and autocad will automatically pull al lthe parts I need and automatically arrange them in assigned locations. 

This will be extremely helpful for me! so I would greatly appreciate if there're any expert that could help me on this.

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: koollightbro

So you want help creating or organizing a block library?
Message 3 of 8
koollightbro
in reply to: pendean

I know how to create blocks and store them, what I do not know is how to open them in the way that I want. For example,  if my job was to create a car, say a sedan, and customer has options to change their wheels from standard to alloy wheels or heated leather seats,different paint colors, or different engine types. Each change from a standard model will create subsequential changes thereafter. For example, if customer choose alloy wheels, the tires has to automatically change to a larger size, and if a wheel is larger, the suspension has to be changed to a different part to compensate with the new option. Right now, every new order come in from customer, I have to go back to each drawing and chagne them maunally. I want to create something more systematic, more automatic so that if I input, say model A with options 1, 2 ,3, it will automatically pulls all the parts that I programed to be in the library and automatically assembled together.

Kind of like excel, where you input data and ask for a listing that meet the requirements, the database will select appropriate data from a different charts and put them together and display to you. Only different here is the output will be in drawings, not text, and it is in autoCAD, not excel. I might ask too much for autoCAD to do that kind of work, but I believe you guys might have some tricks as autoCAD expert.

Thank you!   

Message 4 of 8
pendean

So you already have blocks for "wheels, seats, paints, engine types" already, right? if not, start doing so right now: the more you organize them and sort them, the easier it is to have a base to start what you want.

So... if these are organized in folders for each type/objoect/option (or in a container file for each type/object/option), then you can use ADCENTER to drag and drop each component you need into your file.
Of use ADCENTER to create a Toolpalette of each folder and cluster the TPs into Groups for easier sorting and retrieval.

AutoCAD, like Excel, expects you to create the core database first: in this case your existing block library.

hopefully I understood your need.
Message 5 of 8
dgorsman

AutoCAD is the Swiss Army Knife of the AutoDesk systems, in that it can do almost anything well (if less than perfectly).  In order to do that, you have to use the customization tools available from blocks, to macros, to LISP, dotNET, and potentially ObjectARX.  Its *possible* but you'll probably need more than a couple of "tricks".

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 8
dmfrazier

What you are describing would be (at least part of) a "product configurator".  You can pop that phrase into Google and follow a few random links to get a feel for how many varieties and options there are (including Autodesk!) and it might also help you to realize that automation of this sort is not as simple as it may seem.

If your drawings are relatively simple (more schematic or symbolic than literal and detailed), you might be able to create some Dynamic Blocks that can be made to act very much like simple "configurators".  You can even build relatively complex assemblies with DBs.  (This might be a good place to start, in any case, as it would force you to start formulating a strategy and to see the complexities involved.)

It also matters whether you're talking about drawings for Sales/Estimating or Manufacturing/Assembly.

AutoCAD can definitely do (a lot of, if not all) the necessary work (in conjunction with built-in and external programming), but it is usually much too complex to accomplish through exchange of ideas or strategies in a discussion group.  Getting in touch with a vendor and asking for a demo (and giving a demo of your own) would be a valuable experience.

Message 7 of 8
koollightbro
in reply to: dmfrazier

You understood just what I wanted to express! I guess it is too complicated to write my own configurator software. I looked at your suggestion on Autodesk configurator and found that the works that I'm working on are all in 2D model drawings and wiring schematics. I don't know if Autodesk configurator 360 is a bit too overkilled. Do you personally know a software that is more simple to use?
Message 8 of 8
dmfrazier

"I guess it is too complicated to write my own configurator software."

Given unlimited amounts of time (and probably money as well), nothing is "too complicated". (But money and time are always limited, aren't they?)

"Do you personally know a software that is more simple to use?"

No, I'm sorry to say.  I would start by asking others in your industry or a related one how they do it.  View automated online demos if they are available, or invite vendors/consultants to pitch their products.  The good ones will want to know about your product and should ask for sample drawings and other data so that they can build it into their demo.  Just beware that because they are selling a product, they will tend to make things look a lot simpler and "automatic" than they turn out to be, particularly during development.  There is usually a lot of groundwork that has to be done to produce anything of value.  But (at least in my experience) in general these software products do a nice job of breaking what seems like a huge mammoth task into manageable pieces that eventually come together into a worthwhile effort.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost