Moving a point to another point, but only in one axis/plane

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jacob
13277 Views, 5 Replies

Moving a point to another point, but only in one axis/plane

Hi,

I've already searched the web but didn't find a solution to that easy problem.

When I am, lets say on the front view and I want wo move an object to a certain point, however only in that front view plane, when I define the destination point and snap to to point I want to have it, it places it exactly to that point, even when ortho mode is on!

How can I manage to set the destination point towards the given point, but only in the viewing plane? Kind of locking the axes ...

Thanks for your advice,

Jacob

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
M_Hensley
in reply to: jacob

Try setting OSNAPZ to 1. It will use the current UCS z coordinate instead of the actual one.

Message 3 of 6
jacob
in reply to: M_Hensley

Thanks, that worked ... isn't there something like a hotkey to or whatever to not use the actual point but only the projected on in the viewed plane?

Rather than changing a setting ... will changing that setting affect my drawing in other ways?

Message 4 of 6
M_Hensley

I don't know of any hot-key that does this. OSNAPZ will prevent you from getting actual Z coordinates even if you want them, but the setting is not saved so it only works during the current editing session. The next time you open that drawing it will be back to 0.

Message 5 of 6
Kent1Cooper

@jacob wrote:

How can I manage to set the destination point towards the given point, but only in the viewing plane? Kind of locking the axes ...

Another thing you can do is to use point filters.  When it's asking for the destination point, type .XY [note the preceding period] to say "I want you to take only the X and Y coordinates from the next point I designate," pick or snap to that given point, and it will then ask you for a Z coordinate, at which time you can either type a number [doesn't have to be 0 as you'll get with the OsnapZ approach] or pick on or snap to any location with the Z coordinate you want [regardless of its XY coordinates -- it will ignore those], such as some point on the objects you're Moving to keep them in the same plane, or something at the Z coordinate you want even if it's different from that of both the source objects and the point from which you're getting X & Y.

They work as single-coordinate options, too -- .X takes only the X coordinate from the next-designated point, and then asks you for a source from which to get Y & Z, etc.  All single and two-coordinate combinations are accepted, though I think [I don't have AutoCAD open right now to confirm] that in the pairs, you need to enter them in the right order, which I believe are .XY or .YZ or [oddly it always seemd to me] .ZX. rather than the .XZ I would have expected.  I even used to have tablet menu items years ago that fed in some of the combinations, and you could put something like that into whatever menu location you prefer, to make your own "hot keys."

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 6
jacob
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you guys,

that helped!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost