Massive file with one dimension on it

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
567 Views, 9 Replies

Massive file with one dimension on it

Hi guys.

I found out that copy-pasting the dimension (on the attached file) onto a blank drawing will increase the file size to almost 5MB, I realized it carries with it a lot of text style and line types, maybe more. The problem is a lot my dwg already has it. I have tried to delete all the dimensions and purge but the file size still remains big. Can anyone please try to help me clean an infected file (attached) and maybe I can do the same on my other dwgs?

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Your file contains the following:

DGN Linetypes Purged : 84
DGN Complex Linetypes Purged : 166989
DGN Text Styles Purged : 11
Registry Applications Purged : 0
Annotation Scales Purged : 16

Grab a freeware from the Autodesk Exchange called DWG PURGE, it's good at handling the DGN Microstation clutter in your files.

Message 3 of 10
LyleHardin

When I copy/pasted the dim to a blank drawing and saved that drawing, it was only 50k.

Dean is right, your "massive file" does have some still purgable items in it, but even after a regular command line purge (-purge) the file was still 5meg.

I'm not sure why your copy/paste is making a big file.

Are you pasting to a completely blank file? A new file made with no template?

Lyle

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: LyleHardin

Thanks Pendean, I will give it a go and will report back

Hi Hardin,

I dont understand why you only get 50k whilst I get 5MB, Yes it is a new file with nothing on it.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Pendean,

I'v installed it, but the command(dwg-purge) didn't work. Was it because I've got LT? Any other suggestion?

I also did a restart on autocad as said in the instructions but it still didnt recognize the command "dwg-purge"

Message 6 of 10
hwalker

The command is just called PURGE.

When the dialog box pops up, click on PURGE ALL and then choose PURGE ALL ITEMS.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Hi Hwalker,
refering from my 1st post, I have tried that and failed. Now dwg-purge is a command supposed to be added from a freeware called "DWG PURGE" suggested by pendean
Message 8 of 10
pendean

If you have LT then
1. Why the heck didn't you day so
2. Why are you not posting in the LT forum
3. You are out of luck I believe: there are no tools for LT in the exchange to do this cleanup.
4. WBLOCK to create a new file may help as plain PURGE command cannot handle DGN linetypes.
5. Your source file for the dimension is the culprit file with all the problems. You need full AutoCAD to clean up all your files, sorry.
Message 9 of 10
LyleHardin

When you start a new drawing, pick on the dropdown of the Open button and select "With No Template". You might still be starting a drawing with a template that has a bunch of stuff in it. (Invisible blocks, linetypes, empty text, etc.)

You can also WBLOCK out the dim as pendean suggested.

And yes, LISP and other programming routines will not work in LT.

Let's back up a step. What are you trying to accomplish?

If you want to clean up the drawing, use WBLOCK and then select only the items you want to include in that new drawing. That's really the ultimate PURGE.  But, there may be a block that shows up as one line but has a bunch of invisible junk in it. If the drawing allows, you can use QUICKSELECT to select all blocks and (and I hate to say this) explode them, purge, and repeat until there are no blocks left.

Also, use the command line -PURGE rather than the dialog box PURGE. It will actually clean more things out.

Good luck.

Lyle

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: LyleHardin

To everyone who did their best to help, many thanks! As a contribution TO ANYONE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM I have found that the following steps will strip the file into its bare bone:

1. Open file and save as dxf, close file

2. Open dxf and save as dwg, close file

3. Open dwg, purge, and save.

You will find file reduced from 5MB to 170kb

(hopefully I didnt lose a lot of properties by doing so, but I didnt care that much as the files in question only holds the title block.)

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong location hopefully someone will find this useful.

Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost