Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load profile via script/command syntax

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cbeaty
2349 Views, 4 Replies

Load profile via script/command syntax

Can someone tell me how to import profiles via syntax/text or script??? 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
zalant
in reply to: cbeaty

If you have a profile (ARG) file which was created via the Export button in the Options dialog (Profiles tab), you can use the /P switch in your AutoCAD shortcut to call it up.  The syntax of the 'Target' line is roughly:  "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 201x\acad.exe" /P "name of profile file"

Note that an ARG file is just a Windows registry (REG) file with a different file extension.  When the /P switch calls the ARG file, it adds the stored profile information to your registry, if it is not already there.  From that point forward, since the profile will be in the registry, the profile name in the registry will be called, so the ARG file will no longer be read with each program launch.

Zac Travis
Message 3 of 5
cbeaty
in reply to: zalant

Thanks for the info but I was already aware of the loading profiles via a desktop shortcut. Been doing that for years.
My actual question is how to import profiles via a script/macro (though that's not what I put in the subject line). If the profile doesn't exist and I add a profile to the launch shortcut, I believe ACAD creates the profile but bases it off of the out of the box profile.
I have already created client specific profiles (adding support paths, template paths, ctb file paths, toolpalette paths, etc) but am looking for a way for users to import these profiles easily (not through the options dialogue) using a button or an acaddoc.lisp.
Is there a way for autocad to locate the ARG files if they are not already in the users profiles such as adding a support path in the install image?

At this point I'd like to have a button on our ribbon that imports a profile and sets it current. I will also have a button that will switch between profiles so that the users customization doesn't get reset every time they switch profiles.

Thanks,
Cliff Beaty

Sent from my iPad
Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: cbeaty

Importing profiles can be done through most code supported in AutoCAD.

Client lists can be long so setting a profile for every one of them can be difficult to manage (it looks easy to start with but gets unmanageable very quickly), especially if you have third-party plug-ins to manage as well.  Although there isn't any practical limit to the number of AutoCAD profiles I'd recommend you use profiles to manage applications and in-program customization to manage the settings (e.g. search paths) based on a selected client.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
Hammer.john.j
in reply to: zalant

With running civil 3d as autocad, the only way to get the 'red' vanilla base autocad to launch is to NOT use a switch.  anything except using 'autocad' as the profile cause the program to launch as civil 3d....... i've tried everything in the book, including launching c3d as autocad, modifying the autocad profile, exporting it to bla.arg and everytime i switch the profile it launches civil 3d (blue).

thoughts?

John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost