Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of inconvenient differences with Autocad 2015

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
RBartlett1
2816 Views, 13 Replies

List of inconvenient differences with Autocad 2015

Now that I have used Mechanical 2015 for a few days, and have attempted to solve these issues myself, I find I need to ask for help, since I am in no way an Autocad guru. I would like to fix the following behavior:

1) I use solids that are made up of multiple, non-contiguous solids, such as our method for showing a threaded hole is a through hole at the nominal OD, and a suspended cylinder of the minor diameter inside the hole, unioned together.In previous versions of Autocad, when I sliced this solid, I got two pieces, one on either side of the slicing plane, or everything to one side of the slicing plane if I so choose. In 2015, when I slice a solid made of multiple parts, it does an unwanted separate on the remaining solid, so I am left with all those little thread ID cylinders hanging in space as separate solids. Why does it do this? Is there a variable I am missing to fix this behavior?

2) When I draw a line in space, it does not show the elastic band from my starting point to my pointer any more, but it does show other 2D entities like circles and plylines as I draw them. With lines, it shows nothing, so I have no graphic representation of the line I am trying to draw. If I turn on dynamic input mode, it shows the line, but I do not like that mode. I just want my old elastic band back. I was wondering if I just have the elastic band color set to black, which is also my background color.

3) When I copy or move an entity (solid or 2D), the elastic band from the base point to my pointer is now an orange hidden line. I don't like it and want to change it to the way it was. Also, if I happen to be moving or copying a solid, it is very slow to draw the solid on my pointer as I drag. This is the same in dragmode on or auto.

4) Highlighting selected entities, especially solids. Instead of the easily seen dotted line highlighting, it is now a barely perceptible blue glow on the solid edges, or no highlighting at all on 2D entities.This makes it hard to tell if the part is selected, or just blue. Is this able to be changed back to the old highlight?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rkmcswain
in reply to: RBartlett1

2. I don't see that here, even with DYNMODE = 0
4. Set SELECTIONEFFECT to 0
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 14
RBartlett1
in reply to: rkmcswain

on #2 - My dynmode was set to -3. I tried -3,-2,-1,0,1 and finally at dynmode 2 the line starts to appear, but I also get the extra stuff I don't like.

on #4 - THANKS! worked like a charm.

Message 4 of 14
nestly2

#2 When I first installed AutoCAD2015, I too had no "rubber band" connecting the start point and the cursor.  I don't know when/what changed, but It's not doing it now?

#3 I beleive the Move/Copy rubberband color was tied to another display element in 2014 and previous, but it seems to be independant and non-configurable in 2015 as far as I can tell

#4 I see you've resolved that, but I wonder why it's no longer on the Visual Effects settings in Options?  In previous versions, there was a graphical dialog that let you choose between dashed, thickened, or both, as well as whether solid textures were highlighted... now it seem to be controlled only by an obscure sysvar.

Message 5 of 14
RBartlett1
in reply to: nestly2

More info on #2. I draw lines in a four viewport space in model space, Iso, Top, Front, Right views of the model. The line is visible as I draw it in the top and iso view, as long as the UCS is world or the same as world but with a different Z coordinate. It is not visible in the front or right side view in a UCS aligned with the viewport. However, if I change the UCS in the front or right view to world, I can see the line as I draw it.
Message 6 of 14
RBartlett1

Another update on #2: It seems to be when drawing a 2D entity in a UCS that is not parallel to the WCS. So it is not a rubber band not displaying. It is drawing the line, but it is drawing it on Z=0 on the WCS, which is not necessarily visible in the view I am drawing in. It seems to me there is a variable that would control the Z axis of 2D objects as they are drawn. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Message 7 of 14
RBartlett1

Remaining problem from above:
1) I use solids that are made up of multiple, non-contiguous solids, such as our method for showing a threaded hole is a through hole at the nominal OD, and a suspended cylinder of the minor diameter inside the hole, unioned together.In previous versions of Autocad, when I sliced this solid, I got two pieces, one on either side of the slicing plane, or everything to one side of the slicing plane if I so choose. In 2015, when I slice a solid made of multiple parts, it does an unwanted separate on the remaining solid, so I am left with all those little thread ID cylinders hanging in space as separate solids. Why does it do this?

Any ideas anyone? This really cannot be the way the slice command is supposed to work.
Message 8 of 14
nestly2

Unless I misunderstand the problem, I'm not experiencing the separation of non-contiguous objects after SLICE.  Could these objects be something other than a single AutoCAD solid.  A "group" of solids, or an AutoCAD Mechanical AEC object?  I'd be happy to have a look if you want to attach a sample drawing, but since I don't have Mechanical, I still might not see the same results.

AutoCAD Mechanical forum

Message 9 of 14
43ieme

If you are using the UNION command then you are just filling in the hole with the minor diameter object no? I can not replicate what you describing in either 2014 or 2015. Are you using SOLIDHIST 1 perhaps?

Message 10 of 14
RBartlett1
in reply to: 43ieme

My SOLIDHIST=0. Briefly, draw a solid block 1" x 1" x 0.5". Draw a 0.25" diameter cylinder, 1/2" tall at the mid point of the large faces and subtract it from the block. Now we have a 1 x 1 x 1/2" block with a quarter inch hole through it. Draw a 0.20 diameter cylinder from one end of the hole to the other. Union the cylinder with the block. That is what our tapped holes look like. Slice the block using a cutting plane that does not intersect the hole (or more accurately, the cylinder in the center of the hole). Instead of keeping both halves of the solid after slicing, select a point on the non-hole side of the solid. Voila-the correct solid is retained, but also the cylinder is left hanging in space. This cylinder cannot be sliced away from the solid it is still unioned to. Now do the same exercise in 2014. The command works properly in 2014.
Message 11 of 14
43ieme

Well that is weird.. I get the same thing here. Smiley Indifferent

You also can't crtl + click a solid feature to remove it from a selection. And slots or slotted features have not been able to stretch since AutoCAD 2013. Every release is a lesson in finding work-arounds to some pretty odd behaivors.

Message 12 of 14
KimBruns
in reply to: 43ieme

Fhof, I think you've come up with Autodesk's company motto.

"Every release is a lesson in finding work-arounds to some pretty odd behaivors."

"Ain't that a shame"

Kim

Product Design Suite 2016
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Xeon E31270 @ 3.4GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 2000
Message 13 of 14

Thank you for taking the time to bring attention to the SLICE issue by so clearly articulating it.  I am also affected by this issue.

We use Autocad for solid modelling of cut stone masonry assemblies such as building veneers, both simple and ornate, as well as monuments and other custom applications.  When modelling we choose not to model the mortar joints in between the masonry units.  They are simply implied by the voids in between the solid model masonry units.  As a result we too use "solids that are made up of multiple, non-contiguous solids".  When designing mortar joint locations and cut stone unit sizes it is necessary to modify the model at both the overall global level as well as the individual unit level depending on what you wish to accomplish.  This involves frequent use of UNION and SEPARATE on the model.

The new and unexpected behaviour of the SLICE command on "solids that are made up of multiple, non-contiguous solids" as you have so eloquently described is a hindrance to using the solid model for our purposes.  Until the behaviour of the SLICE command is corrected to provide logical expected results we will need to return to using Autocad 2014.  I have made some attempt to find some logic behind the results obtained when using SLICE in Autocad 2015 however when dealing with more convoluted assemblies such as a stone cladding for a multilevel staircase the results obtained make the software not worth the effort of using when the previous release provides fully functional solution.  This in itself is not so bad until you consider that the subscription is providing no additional value to multiple users when you have made the choice to revert to the previous version.

I know that the way that we use Autocad in our office is a bit unconventional and probably not the norm however I would really feel let down if this issue is not addressed by or before the next release by either fixing the command to perform as expected or explaining the "new rules" on how to use the command to obtain expected results.

Message 14 of 14

Hello All,

I don't know when it happened but it appears that this issue has been corrected - must have been part of an update.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost