Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List number of faces...

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
darawork
796 Views, 10 Replies

List number of faces...

Is there a command in AutoCAD 2014 to list the number of faces in a model?

I can't seem to find one.

Thanks.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: darawork

If you Explode the solid into surfaces and then run surfsculpt - window select and the command line tells you how many surfaces are selected.

Hmm, for some reason I am getting +1.

Anyway, I'll leave it to you to figure out.

Well, ran my test again on sphere, cylinder and box (created from polyline profile).
It was counting the generating 2D profile accounting for the +1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> list the number of faces in a model

what do you need that for?

Another question is then: how many faces do you expect that a SPHERE has (or should have)?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Another question is then: how many faces do you expect that a SPHERE has (or should have)?

- alfred -

A sphere is one face.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: JDMather

Hi,

>> A sphere is one face.

I agree with A sphere is one "surface", but thinking of 3D-Faces ....? 😉

That's why I asked whatfor that value is important, e.g. for rendering only 3D-Faces is a value for estimating rendertime.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 11
darawork
in reply to: JDMather

That would have been my answer too. The lines we see are not faces but merely guides of a procedurally created entity. One (sur)face, one normal. I suppose.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 7 of 11
darawork

The reason I am trying to figure out face count is to try and understand why one complex model I have created in 2013 is of a smaller file size than a medium model I created in 2014.

I thought if I could determine the amount of faces it might explain the difference in file size?

They both contain about the same number of layers, no raster items, no blocks, audited and purged.

Both drawings are of buildings constructed with solids.

(Although this thread might tie in with my other recent post today, 'Solid History' should not be the difference between a 2013 file size and a 2014 file size.... seen as the 'Solid History' function has been in AutoCad since 2007. Unless it is suddenly turned on by default, where it might not have been before? )

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 8 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

the surface count does not say anything about the complexity of the surface and so that can be one of the reasons for a difference.

>> [...] 'Solid History' should not be the difference between a 2013 file size and a 2014 file size

Well, not sure about that because Autodesk changed the default value at one of the previous releases (currently I don't know which release changed the default). But you can verify by opening the drawing in both releases, run command _BREP, save the drawing and do that for each release. That cleans the history of solids anyway, ready then to compare the filesize.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 11
nestly2

@darawork wrote:
...Unless it is suddenly turned on by default, where it might not have been before? )

SOLIDHIST was turned on by default in 2011, but is "OFF" by default since 2012, however since this a drawing based variable there's no telling when or where the setting was changed,... perhaps a carryover from the drawing template?

Message 10 of 11
darawork

I usually model once off, not much editing needed afterwards... at that level anyway.  I have a nice 3rd party lisp for stretching solids (Multi Solid power toys, should be snapped up as an Express tool by AD imo), so I never really edited 'individual' extrusions. It was mainly a crossing window of selections. I then library these models for use in other projects. I'll have to go back and check that _var on each model. Or get a script to check for it, ha. Nice archiving tip nonetheless.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 11 of 11
darawork
in reply to: nestly2

0Templates were made last year, 2013 software.

The problem mainly affects my file-linking into 3dsMax Design 2014.

When it autosaved by default every 5mins, I bumped it up to 30mins because it was really taking ages to save.

I never checked the filesize of the linked Cad file. In the end I had to go to the extreme measure of turning autosave off altogether.....

Then I checked the filesize... firstly the Max file (huge), then Cad (huge), eek. Thar she blows etc.

It still doesn't account for the snail-paced autosaves / crashes in Max, but it got me worried that Cad was also playing up.    

Anyway, I'm far away from the work pcs now, and can't compare files from here; So thanks for all the help, I'll pop back tomorrow with more horror stories.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost