Did you mean: 

Lisp routine HELP

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jka28
1239 Views, 8 Replies

Lisp routine HELP

In our office we are running both ACAD 2010 and ACAD 2013.  We have a steel routine (stl.lsp) and a fastener routine (fast.lsp).  We have it stored on the server.  Everything was running great until the users on 2013 loaded it.  Since the users on 2013 loaded it, it will not operate on the machines with 2010.   I have since loaded it on individual machines and it still will not work with 2010.  Everything is fine with the 2013 users.  Does 2013 modifiy the routine where it is not recognized by earlier versions?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: jka28

No.  LISP files must be modified manually - somebody changed the file in order for it to work "better".

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 9
jka28
in reply to: dgorsman

No one manually changed the file.  No one has access to the file. It all worked fine until we started using it on the 2013 machines

Message 4 of 9
pendean

"loading it" does nothing to the file: AutoCAD simply reads it like an external file, it runs the code but it never affects the actual LSP file.

So 2013 users simply loading it and using it would not have changed the code at all, or locked the file, or prevented any other AutoCAD user in any other AutoCAD version from using it.

Something else is going on: if you want remote help post the LISP file here, we all have 2010/2013 to verify the code and whether it works or not. Otherwise I think you need to dig deeper that just trying to run it in 2010: find your server archive of your LISP before 2013 showed up, compare file dates then open both both files and comapre the code.

Something somewhere moved to changed: if the lisps call external DWG files perhaps these have moved. Dig deeper that you have so far.
Message 5 of 9
nestly2

If this is Al's Steel Mill (stl.lsp) it has dependancies to a .dcl file and a whole catalog steel size files that have to live in the same directory as the stl.lsp.  I never tried to to use it from a network location.

Message 6 of 9
jka28
in reply to: nestly2

yes, it is Al's Steel Mill.  And yes, I have the other companion files loaded in the same directory.  I have them all loaded on my hard drive.  I have been using this program for the last (6) years without a problem moving from Acad upgrade to upgrade along the way.  This year we upgraded to Acad 2013.  Now I have both 2010 & 2013 loaded on my machine.  I opened 2013 and started working with it before we implimented the new program throughout the department.  There has been no "manual" change to the program it self.  I have done nothing different with the program.  The only thing I have done differently it that I have worked on Acad 2013 the last couple of months.  That is why I was asking if 2013 itself, internally modified the program for 2013 to recognize it. We have (6) different machines (3) laptops, (3) desktops. Some of the machines are running the program from the server and some are running it from their harddrive.  All machines are having the same problem since installing 2013.  The installation of 2013 is the ONLY thing that has been done to these machines.

I appreciate all the input so far, I am still lost and confused.

Message 7 of 9
pendean

No AutoCAD version modifies or edits or otherwise alters external Lisp files just becuase they got loaded/used. I started 2014 and ran Al's Steel Mill. Then Started 2013 and did the same. Then Started 2012 and ran it successfully. Then ran 2011 and ran it successfully. In that order. On my PC.

Now, I never EVER let a newer version 'migrate' from an older version, perhaps your installation was not so dilligent.

Message 8 of 9
nestly2

I have 4 versions of AutoCAD (2011 thru 2014) running on the same machine and  2011 thru 2013 on another, so I don't believe there's any issue with multiple versions.  I would double check that the "Steel Mill" folder is included in your Support File Search Path  (it's not enough just to have the folder where the Steel Mill folder is located)

Message 9 of 9
jka28
in reply to: nestly2

I found the culprit.... In looking at the support paths, I have all my .mnu and .lsp files located in c:\custom\cad\****.lsp.  Some of my support paths did not have the custom folder listed.  I remapped my support files and everything is working.

I greatly appeciate the help.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost