Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layouts to Single Drawings with only the objects in the layout Viewports

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
RJanw01
531 Views, 13 Replies

Layouts to Single Drawings with only the objects in the layout Viewports

I need some help reducing file sizes down from an original drawing of 50+mbs and 108 layouts.

I have found 3 different lisp routines to export every layout of a drawing into their own drawings but they all do the same thing.

What I am finding is that all lisps will copy all of the model space contents and paste it into the new drawing and then have a single layout. This only reduces the file size by about 8mbs.

What I was wondering is if there is something out there that would copy the objects/layers that are active in the viewports of the current layout only and create a new drawing. This would reduce the file size down to 0-2mbs and be more managable for our clients.

Thanks for your help.

The lisp routines I am refering to are located at: 

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=19721.0;all

http://www.jtbworld.com/lisp/layoutstodwgs.htm

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dmfrazier
in reply to: RJanw01

"...if there is something out there that would copy the objects/layers that are active in the viewports of the current layout only and create a new drawing."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but this seems to describe the ExportLayout command.  Do you want something different than what that does?

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

So instead of one source for 108 layouts you want 108 different drawings?

There are several methods to use (and even more to misuse) model/paper space but I'd wonder if what you're proposing to might be very dangerous! 😉

If your clients don't need to manipulate the data, plot (possibly single sheet) .dwf's (or, preferably, .dwfx's) and let them use and mark those up!?!?

Message 4 of 14
RJanw01
in reply to: dmfrazier

I just tried that and got the "look" results, but the model space objects were converted to paper space objects. Now what measured 24" is now 1/2".

A little more background, I have multiple viewports at differing scales. Also have basement, first, second, and third floor levels (plans, framing, etc.) on respective layers drawn on top of each other. What I would like to see is the layout and viewports transfered to a new file but keeping it as a layout and viewports. Then to copy only the objects that are visible in the viewports (ignoring vpfrozen objects and other objects not visible in the viewport) and transfer those objects to the model space of the new drawing file. Everything is still as it was in the original file, just a very trimmed down version.

I know it sounds like the bass ackwards way of doing a XREF without the XREFs or a WBLOCK command on steroids.

Message 5 of 14
pendean

Short of spending days doing it correctly (you are fully aware of the process), you might just explore CHSPACE command with that layout exporting tool.
Message 6 of 14
RJanw01
in reply to: pendean

I am not a fan of the exportlayout command at all. Converts all objects to model space objects at the scale of the layout, would have to copy, paste to layout, then draw all my view ports around what is there, reference each view port from my previous file, then convert with some margin of error. This tool would be the ticket if it were to convert it the opposite way (leave the model objects as drawn and "chspace" the viewport rectangles to model space objects).
Message 7 of 14
RJanw01
in reply to: Anonymous

We have clients that are still back on 2002 and for some odd reason none of the layouts are keeping their display properties (vplayers). The other issue is they have not upgraded computers for 10+ years so they have hardware issues trying to turn our drawings into full modular production drawings. 10-15 minute wait to switch layouts, all layers are thawed, etc. They have decided to dimension a pdf document and draw from that. I will try the publish to DXF and see if that will be easier on my end and theirs.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

I don't think VP-specific controls existed in the 2002 release.  Maybe they should just dust off the drafting board and triangles? LOL

Perhaps you could isolate layers/wblock only the linework they need (like walls for example) and send them that?  It really shouldn't be your problem but I truly appreciate that you're trying to stop them from having to "re-create the wheel"... many won't share their CAD data...

Message 9 of 14
RJanw01

converted entire drawing to .dxf format and it increased file size from 50mb to 138mb.

The lisps i used did 90% of what I wanted. I just had to isolate the layer and specific objects then erase everything else. Just a little more time consuming then I thought (took about 6 hours to do the first file). Just didn't want to do the same for the upcoming houses they will be building and that are already drawn.
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

I suspect that many of us realize that skipping more than about 2 releases can severely limit our CAD departments and users... such is the world we live in, though! Man Frustrated

Message 11 of 14
RJanw01
in reply to: Anonymous

We provide for many site builders/manufacturers and this current client has 3 separate drafting sources working on this one 8000 sq. ft. house project, and the manufacturer is the last to get the file. What I don't want is this $5 mil home being all messed up because of a software issue.
Message 12 of 14
dmfrazier

DXF will always be larger file size than DWG.  Not sure why you were thinking DXF would be any kind of solution.

Perhaps you mis-read DWF (or DWFX) in one of the earlier posts?

Message 13 of 14
RJanw01
in reply to: dmfrazier

I did, it still was not the outcome I was hoping for. Would be cheaper for me to buy them the new computers in the long run than to keep doing double the work....chalk it up to Job Security.
Message 14 of 14
dmfrazier

"Would be cheaper for me to buy them the new computers in the long run..."

An idea worth proposing, perhaps.  (Just don't forget software and training costs in your proposal.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost