16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
519 Views, 16 Replies

Issues with opening existing drawings in 2014

Please HELP!! 

Very new to this, Help very much appreciated
We recently bought CAD 2014 (a week ago, new, not upgrade). We have been working on DRAFTSIGHT previously. Having a major problem opening drawings in 2014. A drawing that was workable yesterday, wont open at all today. Does not happen all the time, but once the drawing 'disappears' it stays un-openable even on other PCs. It still opens in DRAFTSIGHT, but hey, we would like to move on.  (New server also installed, maybe teething problems?) (We are a small company) Recover does not work, saving or moving to Desktop does not work either. Not using + tab and even 'reset to default', but, alas, still no joy.

Anybody? 

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: Anonymous

Could you please post that drawing here so I could have a look at it?

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Hi JoAnn,

Thanks for the quick response. Hope i'm doing this right. Please see attached.

Kind regards

Message 4 of 17
braudpat

Hello from France

Welcome on the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

1) Please could you try to open your DWGs in RECOVER Mode ?

2) Which Windows exactly : Win XP Pro, Win Seven, Win 8.0, Win 8.1 ??

and version 32 or 64 bits ?

3) How many Ram on your PC : 2 / 3 / 4 / 6 / 8 / etc Gb ?

Bye, Pat

PS: I don't see your attached DWG, so please attach it in ZIP format !

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

Hi Pat,

1. Tried recover. It goes through the motions, but still no drawing. (No error messages either, just blank)

2. Windows 7

3. Not a clue 🙂 will find out

Attached zip. Not much smaller. Are the drawing files maybe too big? (The drawings opened fine yesterday)

Thanks for response,

Ami

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

usable: 3.2GB
Message 7 of 17
braudpat

Hello

I have tried to open your DWG in Recover Mode with MAP 2014  & MAP 2013

- No Error

- I see nothing

So it is strange ...

Have you tried to save in DXF format from Drafsight and try to load the DXF file from ACAD ?

Bye, Pat

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

I have, yes. But I will try again 🙂
Message 9 of 17
JoAnn_Hogan

Please see attachment. I can see there is data in the drawing but it doesnt open it at all. I think you should submit your drawing to Autodesk themselfs and see if they can recover it

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 10 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Thanks JoAnn 🙂
Message 11 of 17
JoAnn_Hogan

Sorry forgot the attachment

Jo - Ann
Message 12 of 17
braudpat

Hello

An other idea ...

Have you tried to save from Drafsight in an OLD DWG/DXF format : 2007 / 2004 / 2000 / R14 ???

Which format Drafsight can write ???

Bye, Pat

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

The following error was encountered while reading
in REGION starting at line 1213580:
No ShapeManager body was read
Invalid or incomplete DXF input -- drawing discarded.
I Had to save as .dxf from DRAFTSIGHT
Message 14 of 17
braudpat

Hello

Ah, Ah, so in fact your DXF (or DWG) generated by Drafsight, is incorrect !

And ACAD can recover (or open) it ... but something is wrong !!

Bye, Pat

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Yes. All our drawings originate from DRAFTSIGHT, but it is not affecting all the drawings we open in 2014 (yet). That is what bothers me. Need this sorted soon :). I will contact AutoDesk, maybe they have encountered this before. Thank you so much for your responnse 🙂 Kind regards, Ami
Message 16 of 17
pendean

You know what they will say: source from Draftsight is the problem and refer you back to the source.

I opened your file in DraftSight, purged it, saved it to R14 format, it seems to open just fine in AutoCAD 2012-2014 now, model space and the single paperspace layout are well populated with content. See attached.

Message 17 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi Dean, Seems we have a gremlin. I tried your drawing, but it still would not open. Did exactly what you did. still not.:( I have now 'exported' it as a block. And suddenly it's working.
I'm hoping this is the end of it 🙂 got all the fingers crossed. Thanks a million for your help 🙂
Kind regards
Ami

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost