Intermittent Command Entry and Execution keystroke repetition

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Korosealmuncy
1002 Views, 7 Replies

Intermittent Command Entry and Execution keystroke repetition

Product: AutoCAD 2014

First I will state that everything within the program, to my knowledge, works just fine. Although..

I'm having a really strange issue when I try to type a command. It's an intermittent problem that occurs very often and can be extremely frustrating.

If I try to type a command, i.e.. M followed by enter to move an object, often times the command will repeat "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" and the command entry will fail. This happens for every button I press too. Letters, numbers, and even the Enter key will be repeatedly entered into the command prompt. Often times I've already pressed enter to execute the command. During this process the whole program seems to freeze, but not for too long. So I often have to enter the command multiple times, regardless of which button is repeating itself. 

The repeating of a keystroke only lasts between 1-2 seconds but as I said has a very frequent occurrence.

I'm almost positive that this has nothing to do with my keyboard, as I've never experienced this kind of problem elsewhere. This is my machine at work and I've never encountered an issue as frustrating at this. Could it be something that my machine is doing?

If there is additional information that I could provide to point to a potential cause or solution please don't hesitate to ask. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Korosealmuncy

Did you try anything yet? "almost positive" is always a slippery slope and indicates an unwillingness to just try 🙂

There is nothing inside AutoCAD to do (or undo) what you are experiencing.
Message 3 of 8
Patchy

Wireless keyboard?

Message 4 of 8
Korosealmuncy
in reply to: pendean

I originally had stated that I was positive that this was not caused by my keyboard. I cant say why I went back to change that. But I am sure that it has nothing to do with my keyboard.

I've never had a sticking issue with it. I've been experiencing this issue for some time and I've already lifted keys and blown it out. I've felt for the "stick" but came up short handed. Sometimes the repetition goes to extremes and requires me to terminate the program. This happens very infrequently.

This is why i'm beginning to believe that this problem could be caused by my machine or something running in the background.

I'd also like to state that this is a hardwired keyboard.

Now that I think about it, I am using a KVM Switch that my keyboard is plugged into..
Message 5 of 8

My mouse works fine. My keyboard works fine for all other applications, even within the Revit suite. I'm very familiar with all of the hotkeys and shortcuts but AutoCAD is the only application in which I experiences this.
Message 6 of 8
Patchy

Repair or reinstall autocad, ain't hurt that much.

Message 7 of 8

Neither were right. The problem persisted through the aquisition and use of a new keyboard. My input devices are wired through a KVM switch, which I had believed to be the problem.. I didnt take your other advice because I "ain't" got time to reinstall.

I've finally solved this issue by changing my "SELECTIONCYCLING" to 0. I also disabled “Enable Desktop Composition” under my visual effects settings. I did this because I was also having trouble with my mouse's performance within autocad... Changing these settings not only improved my mouse's performance but also cascaded into improving the functioning of my keyboard.

My stuttering keyboard intermittancy has been resolved.

Thank you for shotgunning my inqueries. I know you all must be so busy. 

Message 8 of 8
akirawood

I have a similar issue with 3 machines running 2014. In my case the last character of a comand is repeated after the command starts and prevents the mouse inputs until the stray character is deleted. so If I type "L" "SPACE" autocad acts as if I typed "L" "SPACE" "L". other commands will follow suit ie:

"rec" "space" -> "rec" "space" "c"

Command: rec RECTANG
Specify first corner point or [Chamfer/Elevation/Fillet/Thickness/Width]: c

"m" "Space" -> "m" "space" "m"

I do have Microvellum toolbox installed and I know that older versions used lsp files to overide the "l" shortcut but I cant find a solution to this issue. 

I added these 2 commands to my lsp file to reset "L" and test "k"

(defun c:l () (command "line"))
(defun c:k () (command "line"))

while "l" "space" -> "l" "space" "l"  I have as of yet not been able to reproduce using "k" ie "k" "space" -> "k" "space" without error

For me changing selectioncycle has no effect. 

Any ideas?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost