Did you mean: 

Inserting PDF into ACAD 2013 DWG

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
bouyscout
25370 Views, 16 Replies

Inserting PDF into ACAD 2013 DWG

I have been able to insert a PDF into an AutoCAD 2013 dwg but only as an attachment.  This seems to be similar to xref but I can't seem to bind the pdf to the dwg.  Therefore when I send the dwg to a client and they open it, they only see the drawing format and no PDF attachment.  Sending the PDF as a separate file is not an acceptable solution.

Is there a way to insert a PDF and bind it to the dwg so an external reference file is not required?

I'm not interested in converting the PDF to a dxf or any other format.  Just interested in knowing whether there is a way to insert and bind a PDF to an ACAD dwg.

Thanks in advance.

bouyscout

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
pendean
in reply to: bouyscout

binding an XREF is like Binding an image: you need to either go through the painful process of using INSERTOBJ command or simply capturing a close-up image of your entire PDF content and pasting it in as a picture.

Neither is an easy way, and each as it's own challenges: using ETRANSMIT command to bundle all your external files along with your DWG to send to a client remains the best solution (not for everyone).
Message 3 of 17
bouyscout
in reply to: pendean

Yep, I was afraid of that.  Thought I'd ask to see if anything has changed.

Sending external files will not be accepted.  Client wants to archive all drawings as dwg for use with their document management system.  My only choice is to comply.  Vendors will not provide equipment outline drawings as dwg or dxf files; will only provide pdf's.  If I can insert the pdf into an ACAD dwg and put the client format on it, they'll take it.

Was looking for a "painless processs" and was hoping I was missing something that could make this a lot easier.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

bouyscout

Message 4 of 17
dgorsman

Indeed.  One of our clients had this happen with some returned drawings, bound images turned a hundred KB DWG file into a multi-MB monster.

I'd recommend referenced or not at all.

Edit: have a manager check the contract with the vendor.  You may be entitled to DWG files, if so a reminder from the client may be necessary to get the vendor to comply.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Client wants to archive all drawings as dwg for use with their document management system

One thought to that: If I make the rules and define that partners have to ship dwg-files, I want to have vectors, dimensions, layers ... at least a structured vector drawings. I would never accept a DWG with no geometry but just an embedded image instead.

Before you do that image embedd workflow first ask if that is ok (allowed) for your partner.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 17
mathewkol

I apologize that my post will not help you but someone (your client) needs to find a better document management software. If they are accepting DWG files regularly, they are crippling a long-standing efficient workflow that most of the community uses.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: mathewkol

Hi Matt,

>> someone (your client) needs to find a better document management software. If they are accepting DWG files regularly,

>> they are crippling a long-standing efficient workflow that most of the community uses.

It might be possible that the client needs DWG files to have original drawings (for later modification, for internal more detailed technical information, ...), the PDF or any other format for viewing and printing is in most cases (I know) created during importing data into a DMS.

But in case of "manging drawings within the DMS" I see it absolutly correct to get the data in the original format (or at least an exchange format that makes it possible to continue working or to modify the CAD-data ... and not convert PDF back to the CAD-system.

Just my 2c 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 8 of 17
pendean

Using modern file sharing tools (Dropbox, skydrive, google drive, private FTP sites and thousands of other solutions) may be the cute to delivering large files instead of relying on email attachments alone: this is not 2005 anymore.
Message 9 of 17
rphaddad

I also cannot send the pdf files with the drawings.

This is what worked for me...it took a little playing to figure it out:

Open pdf in adobe

Select pdf image and copy to clipboard

In AutoCAD Edit-Paste Special-Enhanced Metafile

Thanks!

Message 10 of 17
rphaddad
in reply to: mathewkol

It is not so much the DMS being used as it is the customers do not want the additional files to import. General Motors has a very specific final documentation process which does not allow for the reference files to be submitted with the cad files. This is all about protecting proprietary design information, otherwise we could simple send the cad drawings. Most customer do not require that we supply all machine drawings, but the GM and Chrysler spec's do require it.

Message 11 of 17
mattcasas
in reply to: rphaddad

@rphaddad wrote:

Open pdf in adobe

Select pdf image and copy to clipboard

In AutoCAD Edit-Paste Special-Enhanced Metafile

This process worked perfectly for my needs. Thank you.

Message 12 of 17
rphaddad

Found another thing in adobe which helped in the Edit-Preferences-Page Display click "Never" for the Show reference Xobject targets.
Message 13 of 17
bouyscout
in reply to: rphaddad

Thanks for the input,rphaddad.  I tried it and was able to get it inserted but the resolution is poor and all the edges are "saw toothed".  I've pretty much given up on accomplishing this and have resorted to using a third party package to create a vector file from the PDF image and inserting it as a dxf.  Resolution is perfect but the drawing may require extensive doctoring.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your thoughts.  It's appreciated.

Regards,

Bouyscout

Message 14 of 17
rphaddad

Bouyscout, we had the same issues with resolution. The way we took care of it was by increasing the zoom before copy to clipboard. There was a cut off point at which it wouldn't work though, meaning we could not zoom to 100%, but I think about 60% was the cut off point. That worked adequately. We did not want to supply anything but PDF because the actual proprietary CAD geometry would then be available to any other company through our customer.
Message 15 of 17
er.akssharma08

i just want to ask ...after importing pdf file in autocad ...how you make to work on it ..In actually it always showing that it is readable files only .

pls allow me to know ,how to crack it in autocad and make that workable space .

hope for good suggestion and pls revert soon.

Message 16 of 17
pendean
in reply to: er.akssharma08

work on it? For the most part, your PDF is just a picture in AutoCAD, you draw over it or around it, but you do not edit or work in the PDF image at all.

if you want to edit PDFs you need different software altogether.
Message 17 of 17
bouyscout
in reply to: er.akssharma08

You're not going to be able to do anything with a PDF in AutoCAD.  ACAD doesn't really have a good way of being able to import PDF files into a drawing to begin with and editing the PDF graphics inside a drawing is not a very reasonable expectation.  These two file formats (raster and vector) don't really like each other.  I have not found a satisfactory way of putting a PDF file into a drawing file without it requiring an XREF or other external file.

There is 3rd party software that will convert some PDF files into dxf files with a moderate level of accuracy.  It's better than having to regenerate PDF drawings but I found a lot of post conversion work had to be done on the dxf file.  Some fonts and symbols can be rather confusing to the conversion software.

Best of luck,

Bouyscout

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost