Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAGECLIP using a POLYLINE as boundary?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
doni49
13480 Views, 6 Replies

IMAGECLIP using a POLYLINE as boundary?

I've done it MANY times in 2012.  But I just tried it in 2014 and it won't allow me to use a pline as boudary.  It only allows me to create boundary by clicking points.  Did they REALLY eliminate the ability to select a pline as boundary?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
David_Knight
in reply to: doni49

On Autocad Architecture 2014 - could clip an image with a predrawn polyline.

Select image to clip: Specify opposite corner:

Enter image clipping option [ON/OFF/Delete/New boundary] <New>:

Outside mode - Objects outside boundary will be hidden.
Specify clipping boundary or select invert option:
[Select polyline/Polygonal/Rectangular/Invert clip] <Rectangular>: s

Select polyline:

clipped succesfully.

Is your pline closed?

Message 3 of 7
doni49

@David_Knight wrote:

Is your pline closed?

I never even got the option to select a pline.  But yes, the pline is closed.  I've got the pkg that I think they call Infrastructure Design Suite -- anyway, before posting, I tried it using "Raster Design on Civil 3d", "Raster Design on AutoCAD", "Raster Design on Map3d".

Hmmmmm.....  Just when I was getting ready to post this, I decided to try something and I WAS able to get it to work this time.

I was using "Raster Tools>Insert" to insert an image as this includes a way to tell it to use the world file.  After the image was attached, I used the IMAGECLIP command.  The prompts looked the same as what I'm used to -- EXCEPT there was no option to select a pline.

Acad2014_IMAGECLIP1.png

BUT...... since you said it DOES work for you, I decided to just try attaching the image using the IMAGE command as opposed to the one under Raster Tools.  That DOES allow me to use a pline.  But here's the kicker -- after seeing that it did in fact work that way, I attached another image using the Raster Tools option, but then not only could I NOT use a pline as boundary on this image, I could no longer use a pline on the other image any more (the one that it did allow previously).

Acad2014_IMAGECLIP2.png

EDIT:  I just found that after I attach the image(s) using the Raster Tools method (so that they're geo-referenced), I can save out of the file and then start Acad (without the Raster Tools) and open the file.  I'm now able to clip the image(s) using pline.  It seems that the Raster Tools somehow eliminate the option.

Thanks.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 7
Partenheimer

I can confirm this behavior. I just ran the IMAGECLIP command twice in AutoCAD 2014; once in AutoCAD 2014 alone and once in AutoCAD 2014 with Raster Design 2014 acivated. I used the same file and the same image. With Raster Design activated, the selections were limited to Polygonal and Rectangular as described by Don Ireland. Without Raster Design activated, Select polyline and Invert Clip were included in the options.

Michael Partenheimer

Message 5 of 7
ing_sergio_serra

Solved by CLIP command > New boundary > Select polyline then select clipped raster image > right click > image > write > export to new raster dataset

Regards, Sergio

Message 6 of 7
tuomo.jarvinen

I found "Select polyline" - selection available with image in jpg - format, but not with image in png format.

Message 7 of 7

Forget this - CLIP works!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost