Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a bit of assistance with PDfs and insserting them into a drawing.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
HullDrafter
2132 Views, 4 Replies

I need a bit of assistance with PDfs and insserting them into a drawing.

Good afternoon/evening,

I currectly have 5 PDFs of drawings that were create 10-14 years ago. Hence, I do not have accress to the original drawings.

In the past I was able to convert PDFs to pngs and load them into a drawing. Currently, I cannot get Adobe to open my pngs and so I tried to window the area, and pastespecial into AutoCAD 2015 Electrical. I got one loaded before AutoCAD crashed. When I recovered the drawing, the PDF didn't recover, I had a large White" sheet of nothing loaded into my drawing. I am also having trouble trying to get the other PDFs copied. The system tells me it is trying to converet text in the pdfs and when I past, I end up with a "Very" large window and just some of the text. None of the picture I need so I can trace the image. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I am doing wrong and how to getting my settings changed so that when I paste, I am given the option of inserting the image as OLE instead of text.

I am about to reboot my computer hoping that will reset some of the settings.

HD 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: HullDrafter

You know you can attached PDFs directly onto your drawing, right? Your Adobe PDF only need to be able to open PDFs to convert them to PNGs, which sounds like it does from your post. I don't understand why you need it to open PNGs? But if you really want OLE, try this method: http://autocadtips.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/embed-a-picture-not-as-a-reference/ I personally stay away from OLE as much as I can.
Message 3 of 5
smbrennan
in reply to: ToanDN

If you open your External Reference Manager, the top left by default shows the Attach DWG icon. If you select the pulldown menu next to that, you will see an option for Attach PDF. This is a relatively new feature, I believe 2013 or 2014? If you have any solid reference to dimension, scale the PDF off of that dimension. Since I work in the AEC industry, I usually have a door to scale off of. They're usually 3'0". If you're not in AEC, has your titleblock changed at all? Can you scale the PDF using the reference option and define 2 points on your titleblock?

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 4 of 5
vashalejandro
in reply to: HullDrafter

It would help if you could load some images to see what kind of PDF you have.
Message 5 of 5
HullDrafter
in reply to: smbrennan

To all that responded.

1) I can't share the PDFs as I do not have permission to let others view those sheets. The documents I am working with, are controlled drawings.

2) I appreciate the answers provided. ToianDN has provided a new ACAD Tips site that has some very good lessons that I can further my knowledge with and smbrennan85 has shown me that my xref table has more to offer. I thank you both and I have my solution.

HD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost