AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Message 1 of 15 (392 Views)

I can't figure out why I bought the 2013 Building Design Suite

392 Views, 14 Replies
02-21-2013 11:34 AM

OK, I just purchased the Autodesk Building Design Suite Premium 2013 and the Subscription Service all for almost $8000, and so far I'm wondering why!!! 

This piece of Cr*p locks up at a drop of a hat!

My computer meets the minimum requirements, and everything else works until I try to print out the project I've been working on for over 3 weeks and the program locks up and shuts down - EVERY TIME!!!! Autodesk sent me a patch, (1.1) for AutoCAD, and, of course, it did not work!!!

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 2 of 15 (369 Views)

Re: I can't figure out why I bought the 2013 Building Design Suite

02-21-2013 12:24 PM in reply to: PughEngineering

they do offer a 30 day refund....

perhaps if more people returned their puchase, the releases would be driven more by qa/qc and less by marketing's calendar schedule.  voting with dollars is really the best way to talk to major software vendors.

Distinguished Mentor
Message 3 of 15 (351 Views)

02-21-2013 01:38 PM in reply to: PughEngineering

Go into Options and under the Plot and Publish tab look half way down the column on the left and uncheck both boxes for plot and publish in background.  This may be your problem, I hope.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 15 (338 Views)

02-21-2013 02:28 PM in reply to: PughEngineering

>>>...My computer meets the minimum requirements...<<<
Never a good thing with any AutoCAD package, especially after spending $8k on software.

>>>..until I try to print out the project...<<<
There is always an error message, either from AutoCAD or WIndows: any chance you can share it here?

At what point in the PLOT process does the crash occur? Your post is light on details of the problem.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 5 of 15 (333 Views)

02-21-2013 02:31 PM in reply to: PughEngineering

You may find a clue in windows Event Viewer logs. 

right click on "My Computer, select Manage, and then start browsing though event viewer for errors/problems/waning that are at the same time as the failure.

Message 6 of 15 (327 Views)

02-21-2013 03:21 PM in reply to: pendean

All it says is the AutoCAD Application has stopped working and it wants to send a report to AutoDesk - which I do.  BTW I guess I probably should have more RAM, but this lets Autodesk off the hook - they set the "minimum requirements" not the customer.  If they put out that it ought to work, well then perhaps it "ought to work".  Sorry I'm not having a good day.

Message 7 of 15 (321 Views)

02-21-2013 03:24 PM in reply to: steve216586

Thx, but it didn't work.  I "un-checked" but Plot and Publish, but it still locks up.  I'm wondering if the autoCAD file itseldf is corrupted.  Thx anyway!

Message 8 of 15 (319 Views)

02-21-2013 03:28 PM in reply to: JGerth

Trust me I have thought quite a few times today about that 30 day return policy - I'm @ about 75 days now - but we are too deep into Revit.  I'm having most of the problems on the AutoCAD side.  Maybe it has something to do with the "13" in the year!  Ha, ha!

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 9 of 15 (314 Views)

02-21-2013 03:43 PM in reply to: PughEngineering

There's "ought to work", as in running a few basic commands, and "ought to work" as in doing an entire building.  Your minimum requirements may not be ours, for example.

For the patch, make sure you are applying the right one.  That "1.1" patch may be for AutoCAD which will *not* work for "Run ____ as AutoCAD" - different programs, different (technically) code, needs different patch.  Make sure tech support knows exactly what product you are using.

In addition to checking the event viewer, use Task Manager to check for memory and processor use.  If you are trying to plot some hideously detailed view with hidden lines and everything, its pretty easy to run into memory problems.  If the problem is from the source model you can try a quartering search - cut the viewport in half, remove one of them, and plot; remove the other and plot.  If one works and the other doesn't, repeat the process until the viewport is small enough to narrow down what is causing the problem.  You can also apply that with XREFs if you have them - unload half and plot; unload the other half and plot; etc.  Diagnostics can be frustrating but its important to keep a cool head and proceed one step at a time.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 10 of 15 (276 Views)

02-22-2013 05:03 AM in reply to: PughEngineering

Hi,

>> everything else works until I try to print out the project

Does it crash when you use one specific plotter or does it also crash when you try to plot to DWF or PDF?

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube