Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to plot in the samme way than the shown drawing on the screen?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
974 Views, 13 Replies

How to plot in the samme way than the shown drawing on the screen?

Hello

I have used Microstation before and just used Autocad for 1 month.

I am field surveyor and use Autocad for plotting stake out or other measurements.

When I have to deliver a pdf drawning, there are 2 important things:

- It's have to be clear to see what I have done

- it's important to see the drawing I used to do job.

What I am doing is:

Making a new drawing with my measurements on it.

Attache a reference file (the drawing I used for the job).

To make it readable for the end user, I am using fading (transparency) on my referenced drawing.

It is looking fine on the screen, but not on the plot.

On the plot all the colours are coming back to the original (before I change the transparency)

I try to look on the plot style, but obviously it is not possible to change the settings for the referenced file, just for the all drawing.

What I am looking for is how to plot what I see on the screen (WYSIWYG)?

I have looked for a solution on internet (can read english, danish & french) but I didn't find the solution yet!

I would like to know how I can solve this problem?

I have to add, that I have several working sites with a lot of drawings, so I am looking for an easy/quick solution.

Best Regards

Jean-Christophe

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> On the plot all the colours are coming back to the original (before I change the transparency)

How did you assign the transparency? Did you set the PDF to a transparent layer or assigned a transparency using the property-window?

Or have you selected the PDF-attachment and modified the parameter "FADING" in the context-ribbon?

In the first case I guess you have not set the "plot with transparency" option in the plot-dialog (verify you see the complete plot-diaog with the small round icon/toggle on the lower right corner of the dialog).

In the second case I have not really an idea why it is not printed like you see it, if you can upload a sample (so we can look into it) might help.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you for your answer alfred

I think, you misunsderstand me! Smiley Wink

I am not attaching a pdf, but a normal dwg drawing

The pdf is the result of the plot.

I try the "plot with transparency" but it's doesn't help.

The plot dialog is as you describe.

I join 2 screenshots:

Screen: What I have on the screen, and the result I want to have.

Plot: What I am really plotting out.

Message 4 of 14
pendean

1. How did you create the screened look/transparency in the DWG file? This is important to know where you are starting from.
2. Are you using a plot style table? which one?
3. What happens if you do NOT use a plot style table?
4. Provide a screenshot of the expanded PLOT pop-up showng all of youor settings.
5. Which PDF driver are you using?
6. Which exact AutoCAd version are you using?
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for your answer Pendean.

[Quote]1. How did you create the screened look/transparency in the DWG file? This is important to know where you are starting from.[/Quote]

Yes I do. I attache my reference in the drawing and then, I change fading (transparency).

[Quote]2. Are you using a plot style table? which one?
3. What happens if you do NOT use a plot style table?[/Quote]

Unfortunatly, as I am a newb, I don't know wich one, I am using if I am using one.

[Quote]4. Provide a screenshot of the expanded PLOT pop-up showng all of youor settings.[/Quote]

Done, I attache PageSetupManager.PNG

[Quote]5. Which PDF driver are you using?[/Quote]

Pdf-creator

[Quote]6. Which exact AutoCAd version are you using?[/Quote]

Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014

Best Regards

Jean-Christophe

Message 6 of 14
pendean

How exactly do you change fading of the XREF? Explain it in detail, use AutoCAd command names that are activated or which buttons you are clicking on.

PDFCREATOR is a 3rd party pdf driver, I'm sorry but I'm not going to help you with that one as I do not have it.
If you want help around here you need to use a driver we all have: AutoCAD comes with a DWG TO PDF driver and a DWG TO DWF driver, test with these.

You are not using a plot style table. NONE means just that, nothing.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

In commandline I write "xref"

When the menu is opened, I klik upper left icon (attach dwg)

I choose the file, I want to attach.

I change the path type from "full" to "relative", if it's need to.

When it's done, i go to (drafting & Annotation) -> Insert (on the menubar) and clik on reference (with the arrow down, under the icons).

And the I change the Xref fading by typing the value I want.

That's it! 

Please consider that I said PDFCreator as an exemple.

It is not working with DWG TO PDF either nor directly to a normal printer.

Kind Regards

Jean-Christophe

Message 8 of 14
pendean

That's a DISPLAY only effect: on screen, for viewing only.
It has nothing to do with plotting.

When you hover over it, the TIP explains what your selection does, gives you a command name, and you can tap HELP and look it up. XDWGFADECTL. Did you not hover long enough to see the explanation, or did you turn that very useful feature off?

For plotting output results, you need to explore using either plot style table 'pen' settings to plot those layers "faint", or assign the XREF layers (in your top file) a color that will print very faint like colors 253-254 or use the actual Transparency command/feature as describe here in HELP on a page you can look up called "Control the Transparency of Objects":

"Procedures
To control the transparency level of objects
Select the objects whose transparency level you want to change.
On the Home tab Properties panel, drag the Transparency slider, or enter a value from 0 to 90 in the Trasparency box.
Press Esc to set the transparency level and clear the selection.
TipYou can also control the transparency level from the Properties palette by double clicking an object.
Double clicking hatches or fills displays the Hatch Editor ribbon contextual tab, which contains a transparency control for these objects."
Message 9 of 14
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

from 130900

>> And the I change the Xref fading by typing the value I want

from Dean

>> That's a DISPLAY only effect: on screen, for viewing only

>> [...] and look it up. XDWGFADECTL

Dean, I guess you are speaking from a different setting than the TO. 130900 referenced the PDF and then used the FADE property and not XDWGFADECTL to control the level of fading fo the PDF:

2013-12-12 17-27-23.png

When I try to repeat the TO's steps I see the fading on the plot like on the screen (while the screen does appear little bit lighter then the print, but at least the FADE-property of the attached PDF does influence the print. Look to the attached PDF, the left PFD is set to FADE=0, the right one FADE=85.

[EDIT] Sorry, I'm not able to upload a PDF, also not a ZIP containing the PDF, not withj Mozilla26 and not with IE10, so I show just the screenshot from the PDF:

2013-12-12 17-40-08.png

[/EDIT]

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 14
pendean

The steps the OP used, as I understood them, where are seen here:

ScreenShot001.jpg

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Hello

Thank you for your answers.

I am using the procedure submitted by Pendean, but it is not working as I want to.

I give up.

It is time consuming for me to do so many manipulations for something who should be straigth forward!

Happy new year

Best Regards

Jean-Christophe

Message 12 of 14
3wood

Before you find out the final fastest solution, you can try my solution below to resolve it in a few minutes.

1. Copy the reference dwg.

2. Open the copy dwg.

3. Use CHZ20.vlx (Google it) to change the transparency of all objects to 'Bylayer'

4. Save copied dwg.

5. In the master dwg, change the xref souce file to the copy dwg.(Command XREF)

6. In the master dwg, open Layer Properties Manager with command LAYER, select all layers in the xref file and change their transparency to 75 (or any value you prefer). Close Layer Properties Manager.

7. Plot the drawing. Ensure tick 'Plot transparency' option.

I also attached a test result below.

Illustration of Step 3

chz20.png

Illustration of Step 6:

layer.png

Illustration of Step 7:

PLOT.png

Result of a test plot:

transparency.png

Message 13 of 14
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I am using the procedure submitted by Pendean, but it is not working as I want to.

That is the way that is not working, Dean wrote already that this is just for display ... BUT:

have your read and tried my way (message 9 in this thread)? One slider and all will plot as you like, also the PDF with fading!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Hello

Thank you all for your interest and your engagement on the subject.

I did find a way to solve my problem.

I don't know if some people from Autodesk are reading this, but there is maybe a possibility for an improvement! Smiley Happy

If you want to plot out your transparency out (paper, pdf ...), you have to do this at first in the right side in your layer property manager when you have visited the "Page setup Manager" in the layout part.

DO NOT made transparency changement in the model part, before you visit the "Page setup Manager" in the layout part. It will not work.

When you have done that, then you can change the transparency on the left side of your layer properties manager, if you want to change your transparency in your drawing, when you work with it.

Step by step:

open a drawing

go to Layout

right click: Page setup Manager

Modify what you want (don't forgot to activate the plot transparency!)

Choose OK and then close to shut down the Page manager Layout window.

Open your Layer properties Manager.

Select the referenced file(s) layer(s) you want to change (listed under XRef)

Change the transparency values in the right part (VP transparency) and then on the left part (Transparency) if you want to.

Now can you open the plot menu.

That's it! at least on my computer...

It will make more sense for me, if it was working the other way around, but this how it is.

Thanks again for your help! I hope myself to help some people too, when I will be a little bit more experienced.

Best Regards

Jean-Christophe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost