AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Active Contributor
calvindale
Message 1 of 7 (1,165 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to permanently set NAVCUBEDISPLAY and NAVBARDISPLAY to zero

1165 Views, 6 Replies
04-26-2012 10:26 AM

How can I turn off the NAVCUBE and NAVBAR features permanently?  If I set either NAVCUBEDISPLAY or NAVBARDISPLAY to 0 (zero) in a session, both items (annoyingly) reappear the next time I launch AutoCAD.

Per another post on the AutoCAD 2012 forum, I've tried setting these variables in the registry here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.0\ACAD-B005:409\Profiles\<<VANILLA>>\Variables

That post

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2012/How-to-hide-or-turn-off-NAVBARDISPLAY-at-startup/td-p/299...

instructs the reader to use a string value (REG_SZ) and set the value to "O" (presumably for "Off"; but that would conflict with "On").  I tried it with both "O" and "OFF".

So I've tried that approach; but it's not working: these UI-cluttering features (that I don't want to see) reappear upon launch.  I've also tried setting these as 32-bit and 64-bit values (to zero).  But that hasn't worked either.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks!

So we just upgraded from 2007 (it's a long and unrelated story why it's taken us so long to upgrade).  The other thing I've noticed is that when I drag the command-line box and dock it at the bottom (I want it permanently docked at the bottom), upon the next launch of AutoCAD, it appears again in the hovering undocked position.  It's very annoying that AutoCAD doesn't automatically remember and respect the user's preferences.  And since I'm ranting, my other impression with AutoCAD 2013 is just how incredibly slow it is.  I've got respectible hardware (5.9 Windows experience index), yet AutoCAD 2013 launches like a dog.  It's exasperating to use.

Valued Contributor
itbemedg
Message 2 of 7 (1,163 Views)

Re: How to permanently set NAVCUBEDISPLAY and NAVBARDISPLAY to zero

04-26-2012 10:36 AM in reply to: calvindale

The answer to both of your problems can be solved by creating your own custom workspace. Set up everything you want then use the workspace button and use "save current as" your name's workspace.

Active Contributor
calvindale
Message 3 of 7 (1,160 Views)

04-26-2012 10:46 AM in reply to: itbemedg

Thanks!  Creating a new workspace fixed it for the NAVBAR and the Command-Line.  But it didn't work for the NAVCUBE; it still reappears on launch.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 7 (1,156 Views)

04-26-2012 10:50 AM in reply to: calvindale

Hi,

start command _OPTIONS, go to tab "3D modelling" there you have (lower left) the options for ViewCube display.

HTH, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valued Contributor
itbemedg
Message 5 of 7 (1,151 Views)

04-26-2012 11:02 AM in reply to: calvindale

Also, don't forget to resave your new workspace periodically. Many a toolbar or button is lost because the workspace wasn't saved.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 6 of 7 (1,143 Views)

04-26-2012 11:32 AM in reply to: itbemedg

You *can* set the workspace to save automatically but I would recommend against it.  If for any reason there is a change (e.g. AutoCAD can't find a previously loaded partial CUIx file) the workspace will save in the new configuration which may not be what you want.  I've found it best to explicitly tell AutoCAD "Yes, this is the UI configuration I want." especially when something messes up.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Active Contributor
bluebrad60
Message 7 of 7 (1,112 Views)

04-26-2012 03:14 PM in reply to: calvindale

On the other hand...You could edit your default drawing template....turn off the navcube and navbar...resave the template..and Bobs's your uncle. just a thought.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube