Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export attributes of multiple blocks from multiple layouts ?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
limezestpizzawithextracheese
5988 Views, 10 Replies

How to export attributes of multiple blocks from multiple layouts ?

Guys please, let me get this thing straight. I don't want to use external plugins, applets. All i want to do is to change some of the attributes of my blocks in each sheet that's all. I'm using only one block for each layout (sheet). So when i try to export attributes i see that i can't select blocks (objects) from multiple layouts. 

So what is the solution to this. I'm planning to export attributes of my blocks from all the sheets and then i will open that txt file in excel to modify. At the end i will import those attributes back. 

I can do this thing in model space but in paperspace in sheets, it is really frustrating. Someone please share a lean, easy to understand instruction. 

Ps: Do not forget, not applet no add in, no plugin no script or autolisp if it's possible 

Cheers. 

Deniz

Deniz
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

I understand you mentioned no add-ons, but I have to say the fastest way to do it is to use ATTOUT and ATTIN in Express Tools, which definitely / unfortunately are add-ons.

When it prompts to "Select objects:", just type "all" and it will select all blocks in both model space and paper space - includes all layouts.

Message 3 of 11

EDIT : IT WORKED //It simply does not work in Autocad 2013, i clicked express tools, then export attributes. Showed the txt file location to create, but after that when it asks objects to select, i type "all" simply nothing happened. It still waits to select objects. "_all" did not worked too. 

Agh, my mistake. Sorry by "addon's, plugins" i meant the externally installed software or packs etc. Express Tools are built in, so it's ok for me to use. Thanks for the tip. And if i want to select all the blocks just in the paper spaces (layouts / sheets) ? Then what should i do ? Because when i have a drawing and lots of layouts it will select every block that is in the document. ( can i use filter or someting after hitting all ? ) 

Deniz
Message 4 of 11

And if i want to select all the blocks just in the paper spaces (layouts / sheets) ? Then what should i do ? Because when i have a drawing and lots of layouts it will select every block that is in the document. ( can i use filter or someting after hitting all ? ) 

Plugin / add-ons is to make your life easier, they do not mean to do harms in your drawing. Either "External" add-on or "Built-in" add-on are the same, they may have bugs but at the same time, save your time. Although there are some nasty add-ons make chaos but most of them are good and useful.

Back to the question:

You can set up a selection set with filter first, then pass it on to ATTOUT with "Previous" option when prompted to select objects:

Here is a simple example code to select all blocks in layouts only - again, it is an external add-on.

(sssetfirst nil
 (ssget "_X" '((0 . "INSERT")
	      (-4 . "<NOT")
	      (410 . "Model")
	      (-4 . "NOT>")
	      )
       )
  )

Message 5 of 11

OP probably meant they are in no position to purchase an external solution due to whatever restrictions or lack of funds (or being locked-in type fear) in place: there is no need to have a philosophical/merits discussion about them 😉
Message 6 of 11

Hey, Wood thanks a lot for your help. I tried to type that code in Autocad but i really do not have an idea for how to use it. Can you give me a tip about how to use that code ? Shall i type it directly in autocad (i cant paste it ). I mean should i paste it in to a text file then should i load it with appload ? I really did not understand it 🙂 

Ps: Autolisps are ok to use too as long as the instructions are clear for a total noob. 

Deniz
Message 7 of 11

Copy and paste the code into the command line, press Enter, then type ATTOUT, Enter.

Hope it helps.

Message 8 of 11

Unfortunately not, it only selects current layout's all items.  I need to select only the blocks in each layout. Please check the attached file. 

Deniz
Message 9 of 11

In the case of your example drawing, please try the code below:

(sssetfirst nil (ssget "_X" (list (cons 0 "INSERT")(cons 2 "titleblock"))))

Message 10 of 11

Wood thanks a lot mate, it WORKED. 

Cheers, 

Deniz
Message 11 of 11
jcioffi
in reply to: 3wood

I stumbled upon this while searching for a way to update an amendment block across multiple sheets and this code was very helpful to me.  Thank you for sharing!

Is there a way to re-write it so that the block name is automatically filled in by clicking on the block, rather than having to manually type it into the code?

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost