AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

chronicboy11
Message 1 of 6 (696 Views)

How to edit a dwg file that has been saved in a pdf file format

696 Views, 5 Replies
02-28-2013 07:22 AM

Good afternoon.

Maybe this has been posted a lot with or without any result.

I'm going to lift this dead topic (if it is) again.

How and why do people do so?

I want to know how to open a dwg file that has been saved as a pdf file format so i can edit it.

Why do people save it to a pdf anyway? Doesn't that degrade the quality of the drawing?

I have a lot of clients that send me there drawing but i constantly have to tell  them that they have to send the original form if they want it to be edited. Most of the time I have to use a converter to to convert it to a dwg file but the quality degrades drastically. I can’t believe in 2013 I’m still having problems with this.

Are there any solutions out there?

I’ve tried Any PDF to DWG Converter but it doesn’t convert it very well.

Any suggestions

Thank you in advance for your help.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 2 of 6 (685 Views)

Re: How to edit a dwg file that has been saved in a pdf file format

02-28-2013 07:36 AM in reply to: chronicboy11

chronicboy11 wrote:

Good afternoon.

Maybe this has been posted a lot with or without any result.

I'm going to lift this dead topic (if it is) again.

How and why do people do so? Because more people have Acrobat Reader installed than have DWG Trueview (with the appropriate object enablers) installed.

I want to know how to open a dwg file that has been saved as a pdf file format so i can edit it.

Drawings are not "saved" as a PDF. A PDF is just a plot file, the drawing remains intact.

Because it's a plot file, it does not contain things like blocks, styles, and other non-graphical data. PDF's can contain layers, but it may not also. Drawings scanned to PDF are just a TIF image in a PDF container. So what you are trying to convert back to CAD will most likely be an inaccurate representation of the original DWG anyway.

Why do people save it to a pdf anyway? See above, and maybe some people do not want to give out their DWG files. Doesn't that degrade the quality of the drawing? Depending on who works for who, and how the work contract may be structured, that is not the problem of the DWG file author.

I have a lot of clients that send me there drawing but i constantly have to tell  them that they have to send the original form if they want it to be edited. Most of the time I have to use a converter to to convert it to a dwg file but the quality degrades drastically. I can’t believe in 2013 I’m still having problems with this.

Are there any solutions out there?

I’ve tried Any PDF to DWG Converter but it doesn’t convert it very well.

I would keep pressing for the DWG file. Why would they not send it to you, unless you do not need it to do your work for them? 

We use the PDF->DWG convertor from Dotsoft.com -- usually when we have some details that only exist in PDF format and edits are needed. Although many times, it's just as easy to scan the file to TIF and make those edits using Raster Design.

chronicboy11
Message 3 of 6 (679 Views)

02-28-2013 07:41 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

Because most of get there drawings from another architect and, somethimes they are very emotional about there stuff. I've already sent dolsoft a evaluation form so i can test the program out.

I'll give it a try and a soon as i see some result i post back.

thanks

Distinguished Contributor
greg.battin
Message 4 of 6 (667 Views)

02-28-2013 08:55 AM in reply to: chronicboy11

Keep in mind that AutoCAd isn't a PDF editor and probably will never be one.

These converters are free and do the job...

http://www.convertpdftoautocad.com/

http://www.cometdocs.com/

~Greg

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 5 of 6 (644 Views)

02-28-2013 12:56 PM in reply to: chronicboy11

chronicboy11 wrote:

Because most of get there drawings from another architect and, somethimes they are very emotional about there stuff.

Probably not so much emotion as it is protection of their intellectual property.

Without knowing who is working for who and what your contract may or may not say regarding the exchange of digital data, it's hard to say any more.

I realize that you came here asking a technical question, but you may be able to avoid needing a technical solution if you can tackle this from a management standpoint. Find out what you're *supposed* to be receiving and if it's not enough, then ask why.

chronicboy11
Message 6 of 6 (641 Views)

02-28-2013 01:01 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

It still remains a technical question. Because i have to keep working.

Where i'm from it doesn't matter if you have an agreement with no one. 

i've already got some answers about how to convert the pdf. 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube