Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to become Autocad drafter.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
crn001
12404 Views, 11 Replies

How to become Autocad drafter.

Hello.I'm working on printing industry by using some photoshop, illustrator and indesign. So what I'm doing is

not related to this. But, I'm interested in becoming an Autocad drafter. I have no experience and just doing self study.

Actually, I tried finding out some course in Architecture and Cad drafting. Unfortunately, the course is using different

type of CAD. I could find some course related to Autocad, but they are only a few times and the cost is very expensive.

Also, the time table doesn't match with my working. As a result, I decided to study and prepare the certification exam

by my self. At this stage, I have some question.

1. Is it possible to get a certificate by self study? Some of course I found out is designed to get a certificate. \

That's what they said.

2. Is there any website or book so that I can have a look the sample of exam? I've got some books. But the aim is to describe

the function and just put the mark as certification objet on it.

3. If I get a certificate, is it possible to get a job? I mean this is with out any taking course or experience.

How much advantage do I have if I have a certificate?

4. Is there any method to get apprenticeship by oneself?

thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
conormccartney3897
in reply to: crn001

Here's my take on this, as a professional drafter: There should be plenty of tutorials that come with autocad for a good start. by "certificate" i assume you mean the Autodesk certification for Autocad? So #1, yes it'd possible through self study, find a good book and/or lots of tutorials. #2 yes. #3 & #4 The certificate means you know THAT version and THAT version only for which you take it, yes it looks good on your resume, and may help you get a job without any working experience. Look into contract drafting houses, in my opinion this is the best way to get experience, as they will usually help fill in your training, and send you out to work for multiple disciplines (ie Arch, Struct, MEP, etc.). Certificate not really necessary for this type of entry level drafting work. Also, if your serious about drafting, do not limit yourself to just autocad, at least learn some Revit, and possibly a couple of other programs, but one step at a time.
Message 3 of 12

Learn the industry and process first, and then learn how to apply the available tools.  That way, whether its AutoCAD Architectural, AutoCAD MEP, or Revit, the knowledge will be transferable.  There aren't many drafting jobs out there anymore.  Most of it is design work, where the person is expected to understand the principles and make basic decisions even if they don't have the authority to sign off as a professional engineer.  Regardless of what papers you have if you can't size a beam you won't be doing structural design.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 12
doni49
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

Learn the industry and process first, and then learn how to apply the available tools.  That way, whether its AutoCAD Architectural, AutoCAD MEP, or Revit, the knowledge will be transferable.  There aren't many drafting jobs out there anymore.  Most of it is design work, where the person is expected to understand the principles and make basic decisions even if they don't have the authority to sign off as a professional engineer.  Regardless of what papers you have if you can't size a beam you won't be doing structural design.

If you know how to use the software, find a job with a company and people willing to teach you, that works well too.

I started out learning to do BOARD DRAFTING (pencil on paper with a t-sqare and triangles) I took an ACAD class "just to see what it's like".  I eventually studied and earned an Associates Degree in ARCHITECURAL CADD.  But when it came time to look for a job, all the Arch firms I contacted said that they don't use drafters -- the Architects do their own drawings.

I ended up working for engineers and surveyors.  In the beginning, I was always given red-line markups that told me explicitly what they needed.  Occasionally, I'd ask why they did it this way vs that.  For the most part, the engineer understood I wasn't trying to tell him he was "doing it wrong" but instead was just trying to learn.  I did have one guy who REALLY TRULY seemed to think that I was trying to do his job by telling him my ideas were better than his -- but I just wanted to learn the reasoning behind the design.

Through this process, I learned enough that I've been able to take projects from start to finish with only minimal input from a designer.

This process has given me experience in ROW design, Roadway design, Site Design (parking lots, drainage etc) and a whole slew of other topics.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 12
HullDrafter

I am sure that you can get a certificate through self-study. That in its-self is pretty good, and you may know the commands, but to use this to get a job, I would suggest getting your hands on AutoCAD first. If you don't know where the commands are on the ribbon, or have a good feel for what you are working with, you may find things a bit difficult. I currently don't have a certificate, but I only have about 30,000 hours working with AutoCAD, from AutoCAD 12 to AutoCAD 2015 Electrical. Most of my commands are 2 or 3 leter commands, about 3 dozen Lisp Macros that I put together or others (from this Forum) helped me to develop, and several Scripts that I created. As others will tell you, most companies are based on speed and general knowledge. One of the companies I worked for, I needed about 30 total commands. Our standards were buried in the Template, which held 3 of my scripts, and one set of plotting styles. Of the 8 drafters, none of us had a Certificate for AutoCAD, but all were very fast at Drafting and Design.

If you want to go to work as a AutoCAD Drafter. Get a course or two under your belt (either night classes or Saturday classes) to go with the Cert. That will be to your advantage. Before I forget, Youtube has some good classes, but it still isn't hands on.

Message 6 of 12
va_gov

A university or technical college that offers Autocad training would be the place I'd start. Being summertime schools aren't as busy as fall and spring so instructors would have fewer demands on their time. Express your interests to him/her and ask your questions. They will be in the best position to assist you at your particular location.

The other thing is a local user group if you're in a metro area; if not check the AUGI website for resources and information.  

Message 7 of 12
anelm1

I,m interested in the same thing.What books should i get?

Message 8 of 12
ennujozlagam
in reply to: anelm1

you can refer to this link Autodesk Academy, tutorials for beginner. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 9 of 12

As relevant as AutoCAD still can be, I'd lean towards learning something like Revit, Civil3D, Advance Steel, Inventor instead of AutoCAD.

With the world (and marketing) pushing more and more BIM, you'd be best off learning one or all of the above packages at some point.

Message 10 of 12

I"m not the OP here? are you referring to my suggestion?

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 11 of 12
anelm1
in reply to: Tomislav.Golubovic

Thank you for your reply.I really appreciate it.Do you think getting certified in those mentioned will get my foot in the door?
Message 12 of 12
ennujozlagam
in reply to: anelm1

to be a good autocad drafter, experienced is the best teacher and with passion. thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost