Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you make text in tables annotative?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
rgarthe
4462 Views, 12 Replies

How do you make text in tables annotative?

I am using AutoCAD 2014.

When I have a drawing with both dimensions and a table I can make the text in the dimension print at .125" at any scale I choose, but I cannot do the same in a table. (Make the text print .125" at any scale.)

In the example provided I want the data text, in the table, to be .125" tall when I print as well as the dimesion text. I have a annotative dimension applied as a referance and example.

What do I need to do?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: rgarthe

Are you using an annotative text style in your table? STYLE command to define one then TABLESTYLE command to set it for use in your table. You might have to recreate any existing tables.
Message 3 of 13
rgarthe
in reply to: pendean

Dean -

Sorry to say your suggestion did not help me.

My text styles for Mtext, Single Line, and text styles used in the table are all annotative. Text I use for my dimension styles are also annotative as are my dimension styles.

What I do not know how/what to do is when I use annotative text in a table and have the text be the correct size when I plot; other than going old school and scaling the table using a multiplier.

In other words, I create a table using an annotative text style in model space, after I figure out what scale I need in paper space. I also make sure paper space and model space have the same annotative scale when I create the table. I can not make the text plot the correct size.

Message 4 of 13
pendean

You are correct, my mistake: there is no 'annotative' option in TABLESTYLE.
Message 5 of 13
rgarthe
in reply to: pendean

Dean -

Thanks for your help on this issue. It is good to know I am not going crazy, well at least on this issue.

I will go old school when making tables.

Does it make sense to have an annotation option for tables?

Message 6 of 13
pendean

Does it help to create and use the tables in papespace? no scaling needed.
Message 7 of 13
nrz13

I can't speak for everyone's use, but the way I think of it, no it wouldn't be needed.  Even if the table is in model space so it can be referenced in multiple layouts, we put it in a viewport of its own on each layout.  That means it will be independent of whatever scale you have set for your drawings and can therefore be whatever consistent scale you want it to be on all layouts that will make the modelspace table show up at the appropriate size in your layout.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 8 of 13
jdavis417

@rgarthe wrote:

Dean -

Does it make sense to have an annotation option for tables?

rgarthe,

It definately DOES make sense to be able to have Annotative Table Styles and, conversely, it makes no sense NOT to give us the option!

JD

Message 9 of 13
jdavis417
in reply to: nrz13

@nrz13 wrote:

I can't speak for everyone's use, but the way I think of it, no it wouldn't be needed.  Even if the table is in model space so it can be referenced in multiple layouts, we put it in a viewport of its own on each layout.  That means it will be independent of whatever scale you have set for your drawings and can therefore be whatever consistent scale you want it to be on all layouts that will make the modelspace table show up at the appropriate size in your layout.

nrz13,

I'm forced to translate your "solution" as "we have found a work-around and do extra work, so everyone in the world should be content with that".  Do you enjoy making extra viewports for your tables?

Message 10 of 13
nrz13
in reply to: jdavis417

jdavis417:

We don't consider it extra work because we generally set up our viewports per each plan, elevation, detail, table, etc. so we can (re)arrange them on the layout(s) as needed.

As I said, I can't speak to everyone's use, but we don't personally need annotative tables.  I tried to make it very clear in my original post that this was my subjective opinion based on how we use the software.  However, I lean towards giving users options and I can't see why anyone would be opposed to having this as an option.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 11 of 13
rgarthe
in reply to: nrz13

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I do see the extra viewport as a work around, but not a difficult one.

Maybe AutoDesk can add annotative scaling as a option.

Be well and thanks for your help.

Message 12 of 13
mendrighi

You can make a block for the table and enable the annotative scale for it.

Message 13 of 13
stephen6LLLD
in reply to: mendrighi

The only problem that I have found with both scaling up a table or making it an annotative block is that when a cell is deleted then it takes on whatever size the tablestyle is set to. If you want 1/8" paperspace text height (so the tablestyle would be set to 1/8" to scale properly) then for 1"=10'-0" the text size on placing the table is 1'-3" but if you delete any cell then that cell text is now 1/8". Obviously, you can overwrite a cell without hitting the delete key on the cell first, so it not the worst thing in the world, but can be very annoying when in a rush.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost