Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Import Microstation Linestyles into AutoCAD 2013?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
adnez
5599 Views, 3 Replies

How do I Import Microstation Linestyles into AutoCAD 2013?

I am converting Microstation (.dgn) files to AutoCAD format (.dwg) using the export feature in Microstation. I've also tried using the import command in AutoCAD. When I open the converted file in AutoCAD, there are several line styles that are not displayed because they "cannot be resolved" in CAD. These line styles are installed in my Microstation workspace so I am wondering if there is a way to import these line styles into CAD? What are other solutions to try? Would it be too difficult to build my own line styles in case I can't import them from Microstation. I am a beginner/intermediate level AutoCAD user and a beginner Microstation user.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dtiemeyer
in reply to: adnez

AutoCAD's linetypes are less robust than MicroStation's. If you open a DGN in AutoCAD, any simple linetypes should look correct. But AutoCAD is limited to dashes, dots, gaps, and text within linetypes, so if you have any line width variations or cells, etc. none of that will be able to correlate 1:1 into AutoCAD. I'd recommend starting with your own brand new .LIN file and learn the few simple rules for making line types in AutoCAD. Below is a breakdown of a non-text line type.

*DASHDOT,Dash dot __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __
A, 12.7, -6.35, 0, -6.35

First Line:

*  :  must be there

DASHDOT  :  name must be unique

,  :  separates the name from the 'Preview' that goes into Layer Manager and other parts of the interface

Dash dot __ . __ . __  :  the 'Preivew' that appears in the Layer Manager and other parts of the interface

Second Line:

A,  :  has to be there

12.7,  :  number of units of 'pen down' or 'dash'

-6.35,  :  number of units of 'pen up' or 'gap'

0,  :  the 'dot' a zero-length 'pen down'

-6.35,  :  number of units of 'pen up' or 'gap'

the pattern repeats starting with the 12.7 'dash' that follows the final -6.35 'gap'

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 3 of 4
artc2
in reply to: adnez

If the .rsc file that contains your special linestyles is in a location on the Acad search path when AutoCAD is started, then when you import a dgn file using those linestyles, they should come into the dwg file.  And, once they are in the dwg file, you can use them for new geometry because there will be same-named Acad linetypes in the linetype table that are used to hook up to the dgn linestyle data that was imported into the dwg file.

Message 4 of 4
adnez
in reply to: artc2

Thank you, I added the .rsc file path to the Support File Search File and that worked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost