How can i model that constrained surface- Please advise

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
zawsze
589 Views, 4 Replies

How can i model that constrained surface- Please advise

Dear all,

I am struggling with that tast for some time and for now I have not found any good solution.

I need to create a surface like this:

ribbon.jpg

The triangles of that surfase should be the same, they are not allowed to deform. That surface- lets call it "Ribbon" should be able to bend like a paper ribbon ( still having the same dimension triangles inside). There is illustration of that bending concept:

ribbon2.jpg

In fact it should work just like a paper folding/ origami ribbon..

I need to prepare side/ top drawings/ plans of that ribbon for laser cutting it from steel plates.( It is part of a ceiling feature form )

If someone know HOW can i possibly create accurate model of that in Autocad I wold be more than gratefull 🙂

Looking forward to see any comments, 

Kind Regards,

Z.

EDIT:

Ideal way of creating the ribbon would be if I can somehow constrain the triangles to 'stick' their edges together .. and can move the individual triangles and all form will be reacting- changing shape BUT keeping same triangles - just like folded paper .

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: zawsze

@zawsze wrote:

Dear all,

If someone know HOW can i possibly create accurate model of that in Autocad I wold be more than gratefull 🙂

Are you a student?  Do you have access to Autodesk Inventor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
zawsze
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for reply, but unfortunatelly I am not a student any more, and need some way to model that tibbon in work. I have Autocad and 3ds Max here. I did model the basic ribbon in Autocad, but cannot deform in. Tried to deform in 3d Studio but that was not so accurate ( it was 'almost' - 95% accurate, but triangles deformed)

I need somehow be able to produce 3d model of the ribbon made of actually the same modules ( pre cut from metal sheet by laser cut).

Here you can see what is all about:

Przechwytywanie.JPG

Regards,

Z.

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: zawsze

In theory, you could create each triangle as a 3D Face or solid, then use ROTATE3D along each edge to bend/fold it as you want.  But thats just short of insane... AutoCAD just isn't built to do this type of task easily.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
zawsze
in reply to: dgorsman

Well, that I was aware of. 

Than you for your comments, I will try Inventor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost