Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I plot a drawing at scale 1:100 or 1:200 correctly in cad?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
298900 Views, 15 Replies

How can I plot a drawing at scale 1:100 or 1:200 correctly in cad?

It's a simple question but I can only ask as I don't know how to set it right. Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
BuckWyckoff
in reply to: Anonymous

If you set up a paper space drawing (D Size, whatever) and set the paper space scale to 1:100, 1:200, whatever...and the drawing in model space was drawn in real world units, then it should plot at the paper space scale specified.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: BuckWyckoff

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to ask how would it be possible to plot directly from model space at that scale 1:100. I went into plot and I changed the paper size to A1 and scale (in mm) 1mm - 100 units? Is that correct? It does the plot but I'm not very sure if the paper size and scale of the drawing is set correctly. Also, my drawing is drawn in 1:1 in model space. Thank youu.
Message 4 of 16
pendean

PLOT command is where you set all that up: are you asking for someone to walk you through that very simple pop-up that appears when you type PLOT at the command line and hit <enter>??
Message 5 of 16
M_Hensley

Plotting to scale from model space takes a little trial and error. First draw a rectangle the size of your paper minus the margins required. For scale of 1:100 use the SCALE command to scale the rectangle 100 times. Put this rectangle around what you want to plot then plot using Window and select the corners of the rectangle. Use scale to fit for the scaling and print it out. Measure the print with a scale and you may need to adjust the size of rectangle and try again.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: M_Hensley

Thank you. I'd still like to understand how to set the plot at scale directly from model space as it seems simpler. I'm new to plotting, as you can easily tell... that's why I'm a bit confused...The drawing is drawn in mm at true scale and I have to plot it at scale 1:100. So when I open the plot window I set the paper size and the scale to mm. In the scale box I'm not sure if I did it right: there are mm and units. I tried to put 1 mm to 100 units...I plotted it and it comes out ok I think...I'm not sure what units are. If this prints correctly, I'm guessing units refer to mm in model space and mm to mm on the printed sheet. But if that is so, then how can 100 units = 1 mm in the plot window how I just set it; if the drawing in model space is already in mm, then 100 units should be 100mm. I'm confused.

Message 7 of 16
pendean

Are you drawing at 1:1 scale?

You are over complicating a simple task: start PLOT command, select your plotter or printer, select the output scale, select what to plot. Now click OK and it's done if your drawing is not messed up.
Message 8 of 16
BuckWyckoff
in reply to: pendean

I resisted paperspace for a long time.  Once I dove into it (help explains it well), it does make things easier.

But when I plotted from model space to a scale in the old days (and note: the previous process given you sounds good to me), I would determine the actual drawing plot area (i.e. if plotted D Size 24"x36", then I'd assume I'm going to get a plot area of 22"x34").  Then I draw a box around my model space objects with that aspect ratio. I size the box using the math of the desired plot scale (i.e. if I want 1:200 and my drawing is in mm, the bounding box should be 111,760x172,720 which is 22x34 x 25.4 mm/inch. x 200)  The box also lets me see if, at that plot scale, my drawing fits reasonably at that scale and by moving the box around, you can arrange the objects in the box ( onplotted paper).  Then if you plot "extents and set the scale, rob's your mother's brother. Once you are happy with everything, you can put the box extents bounding box on a layer that is set not to plot, so it doesn't show up.

As said before, the plot scale area in the dialog box is clear (you just need to get your mind arund it via experience). The Scale settings set the ratio of model space units on the left to plotted units on the right.  The "Units" is tied to the entry above it and reflects the scale choosen above that.  If you set a scale of 1:200 and you set the desired plot unites to mm below that, then 1 mm will plot as 200 mm and the units says "200" because that is the scale you set.  If you say "Custom" in the scale, then set 1 & mm below that, then 200 below that at "Units", that would be exactly the same as plotting 1:200 for a specified scale.

As a QC, create a drawing only with a box at an even size, plot it, then measure it on the paper factoring in the scale to see if you got it right.

All this being said, nowadays, this is overly laborious.  Paperspace simplifies the heck out of all of this.  I'd advise you to get hip to it.

Message 9 of 16
BuckWyckoff

I digress.  I learned paper space via Lynda.com.  Get a one month subscription (or a year and learn lots), then watch Bartletts training videos.  I went from knowing nothing about paperspace to plotting like a pro before the day was over. 

Message 10 of 16
GrantsPirate

This may help you visualize what is going on. In MS draw a rectangle the size of an A1 sheet, I believe that is 594mm X 841mm. Now scale that by a factor of 100. Move that rectangle to surround what you are wanting to plot. Now in the plot dialog you will select mm and set the scale to 1:100, use the window option and pick the corners of the rectangle, or use extents option and then pick preview. You will have to have a plotter selected up above in the dialog for the preview to work. The whole rectangle may not show due to the margins required on most plotters where they can't plot, so if you were to continue with MS plotting you would need to reduce the rectangle (title block) by 15 mm or so on each side. Does that make it easier to understand? Now forget about plotting in MS and learn about PS for plotting.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks a loot, Ive managed to do it from Model space, but now I'm seriously considering plotting from PS. I've watched a few videos and it looks much simpler.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Thank you, I managed to do it but I;m seriously considering doin it from PS. I've just seen a tutorial on that and it looks much simpler.
Message 13 of 16
steve216586
in reply to: M_Hensley

As soon as you click the "Scale to Fit" box you have thrown your plot scale off. Most likely it is .94% instead of 100%.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 14 of 16
abhilearningcad

hey frnd!! you are going wrong i can help you .contact me if u wanna learn

my email id - abhijit10nair@gmail.com

Tags (3)
Message 15 of 16
stevendoaty
in reply to: pendean

Thanks, very helpful, very simple.

Message 16 of 16
cadpro78
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Way too much to do! That goodness for paperspace...lol

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost