Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find layer references

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bcsurvey
2406 Views, 4 Replies

How can I find layer references

This seemed like a simple thing to do, but it's taken me over 2 hours to track down references for 4 layers.  One was in block text that was set to null by default and the others were in styles.  I didn't want to use LAYDEL as this will just delete those references without notifying you of WHAT the references are, and QSELECT isn't much help with no object in the drawing.  Which brings me to my question:

Is there a way to determine references to a particular layer?

Thanks

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
p_mcknight
in reply to: bcsurvey

Before I start throwing a bunch of custom routines at you, is there a reason why laymrg won't work?

Message 3 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Is there a way to determine references to a particular layer?

Besides of development I use in such cases the option to save the file as DXF, open that file with a good ascii-editor (like notepad++) and search then for the layername.

As long as there is no binary content in the DXF you will then find the objects on that layer and where they come from.

As you have Civil3D it might be a little bit more complex as there are some additional references like default layer in drawing settings, like layers used in styles (and so saved in none-readable areas in the DXF). I you don't need the Civil3D-styles you can first export the file using command -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD .. that creates a file free of AEC-content. Then start "Civil as AutoCAD" (just to make sure you don't add again styles) ... and then save as DXF.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 5
bcsurvey
in reply to: p_mcknight

I'd prefer to know what setting/style the layer is being referenced as some layers have mutiple roles and merging it might make the new layer reference in accurate.  Conversely, if I did know what layer(s) to merge it with, I'd maybe have an idea where to look and wouldn't be losing a good chunk of my day for something that should be quickly done.

Alfred . . . yes I am using C3D and therefore wouldn't it be more likely that one of the styles is what's referencing the layer?  I don't understand the starting "Civil as AudoCAD" you mentioned.  Can you clarify please?

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 5 of 5
bcsurvey

I found the "Civil 3d as Autocad" in the Start/All Programs/Autodesk/ . . . 2014/ . . . and opened the '14 file there, exported to dxf 2010, and opened it with notepad.  Searching for the layer, I did find it in 2 instances, but not associated (from what I could tell) with any style, which I expected as the C3d styles had been stripped when I exported the .dxf.  I did see "AcDbPointEntity" and "AcDbLayerTable" (or something similar, can't remember). preceding each entry by a few lines.

The solution was going through all styles/settings and just hunting down the reference.  For those which have several categories (Model, Plan, Profile, etc.) it was a bear, but I did find a few there.  But they may also be referenced inside block definition, which is where the last one was..

Here we are in 2014 with all the "Featured Apps" that come OOTB, and something as simple as this apparently requires a complicated work-around.

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost