AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 11 of 20 (189 Views)

Re: Hiding/Removing ALL Toolbars

06-26-2013 10:47 AM in reply to: alex_long

I generally live by the words attributed to Mark Kiker, and those are "Don't let a management problem become a technical problem"

There are technical ways to accomplish what you want but it would be easier to handle this from a management standpoint. So after all this,, do you still want a straight up technical answer to your query?

Active Contributor
alex_long
Message 12 of 20 (188 Views)

06-26-2013 10:52 AM in reply to: dgorsman

I try to show the ribbon way as well. I guess it would make more sense if he were using the Classic workspace, but he stays in D&A with the ribbon and the toolbars and it's just clutter. 

I don't really want to mandate anyone honestly. I just need to urge this user to the ribbon and get rid of all the unecessary mess. He's not new to CAD, he's been doing this since Autodesk went to the ribbon. 

Active Contributor
alex_long
Message 13 of 20 (184 Views)

06-26-2013 10:57 AM in reply to: nestly2
Touche on the toolbars and relying on the keyboard. He doesn't create any customs and I notice I use the keyboard/command alias more, point taken.
Active Contributor
alex_long
Message 14 of 20 (173 Views)

06-26-2013 11:06 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

Randy,

The last couple posters have brought good points to my attention as have you. I do still think he is displaying some bad habits but I didn't want to force him to bend to our will. It just seemed like the last alternative before bringing disciplinary action.

I would still like to know how to accomplish this for my own edification but I will not be implementing it in any way.

Thanks,

Alex 

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 15 of 20 (169 Views)

06-26-2013 11:10 AM in reply to: alex_long
No one is name calling: you are not acting like a Cad Manager: "I don't understand/like their screen layout so I'm going to take it all away" is your sentiment here.
It appears there may be hidden/underlying passive aggressive attitudes between you two: rise above it, performance/results is what counts in an office, there are ways to address it better if that is the problem. Look around, everyone is agreeing with me and not you.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 16 of 20 (154 Views)

06-26-2013 11:25 AM in reply to: alex_long

alex_long wrote:

I would still like to know how to accomplish this for my own edification but I will not be implementing it in any way.

I'm thinking I would take a copy of "Acad.cuix" (or whatever the base menu is) and delete all the toolbars from it.

Then keep a copy of this file in a secure location on the server and have it downloaded to the workstation at every boot up.  On the other hand, if I was this user, I could work around that pretty easily. It's gets to be a petty game at some point - hence the reason to solve it from a management standpoint. :-) cheers.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 17 of 20 (147 Views)

06-26-2013 11:29 AM in reply to: alex_long

Once you get down to changing individual users to do things a certain way it can really bring out the politics.  If that particullar user sees they are not being singled out there are fewer grounds for complaints.  Its not *that* bad of an idea for new employees, actually.  I've had a few new hires try to do things the way they did at the previous employer (which *don't* fit our established process), so having them start out with a fixed workspace gets them into the company mindset first and personal setting later.

When we first migrated to AutoCAD with the workspace system, I created a number of preset workspaces in the Enterprise CUIx.  Many users are still using them, although they have the ability to re-organize and save a personalized workspace.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Active Contributor
alex_long
Message 18 of 20 (145 Views)

06-26-2013 11:32 AM in reply to: rkmcswain
Thanks Randy! I appreciate your help.
Active Contributor
alex_long
Message 19 of 20 (139 Views)

06-26-2013 11:34 AM in reply to: dgorsman
Thank you for your input dgorsman.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 20 of 20 (109 Views)

06-26-2013 08:19 PM in reply to: alex_long
Wait until the user reads this public forum thread ... .
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube