Did you mean: 

Hiding/Removing ALL Toolbars

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
alex_long
894 Views, 19 Replies

Hiding/Removing ALL Toolbars

I have 1 user who refuses to learn the ribbon and turns every toolbar known to man on.

It has been suggested that I could remove his ACAD.cui (menuload, then unload). Is this the best way to make sure he cannot use them at all and is forced to learn the ribbon?

Another option I have is to simply click the View tab and uncheck the User Interface panel, but he could just as easily turn it back on as soon as I walk away, or even better he could turn on the Menu Bar from the quick access toolbar and add them through the View pulldown menu or just type in CUI and turn toolbars on that way also. 

Your help is appreciated!

Alex

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Patchy
in reply to: alex_long

What a cruel world that user lives in Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 20
nestly2

Is there a particular reason you need to deny this user his workspace preference?

Message 4 of 20
drjohn

Why on earth would you want to take away the tools he/she uses to be effecient?

It's not (in this case) how the job is performed, but rather what the output is and the accuracy and timelyness (is that a word?) of it.

I don't understand this thinking.  Maybe I'm missing something (other than the ribbon).  Smiley Happy

Regards,

DJ

Message 5 of 20
steve216586

Yeah, I have to agree with the others. There's an old adage:

"All roads lead to Rome." 

I also like to add an additional line for the "Pokies":

"Just make sure you use one of the ones which gets you there in time to join the rest of us."

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 6 of 20
TrevN
in reply to: steve216586

Leave them alone,

I only use the ribbon in a civils 3D setting. When I'm just drafting 2D ribbon is c***, icons and ket strokes all the way!!!!!!!!!

Message 7 of 20
pendean

You all need to man-up and use AutoCAD in CLEANSCREEN mode 🙂

OP, If the user is unproductive, initiate disciplinary action as directed by management and your company policies: otherwise go do you own work and leave then alone. Quit being so petty.
Message 8 of 20
alex_long
in reply to: pendean

We have been urging our users to learn the ribbon as it is intended. No one and I mean NO ONE uses that many toolbars (over 30). Wish I could screenshot his display. He also keeps the layer manager, properties, xref, sheetset manager, toolpallette, quickcalc and every other window you can open open. Yes, actually he is rather unproductive and has complained his CAD runs slow. I've been trying to avoid company discipline and have that go in his file when I can simply alleviate the issue by 'customizing' his CAD. I'm not trying to lock down all my users machines. Just trying to get one on the straight and narrow. 

p.s. Dean, I am doing my job buddy. Keep your posts professional. I'm not asking for your judgements nor do I appreciate your name calling. 

Thanks,

Alex

Message 9 of 20
dgorsman

A little finesse can go a long way.  I've been putting our customizations in the Ribbon rather than toolbars; when users are asking "How do I do ___", I show them the Ribbon way.  Most of them are getting the hang of it, those that are not don't get their work done.

You could be *really* blunt and mandate everybody uses a centralized set of workspaces tailored to certain tasks, until everybody is up to speed on using the new interface.  Managment *might* buy it from a user training and efficency perspective.  You'll catch a lot of flak for it from the users though.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 20
nestly2

@alex_long wrote:

No one and I mean NO ONE uses that many toolbars (over 30).

I don't know about that.  My preferred workspace uses 22 toolbars (eight from AutoCAD, thirteen custom, and the QAT)  and my drawing area is still larger than it would be using the Ribbon.  Even my Ribbon workspace uses 10 toolbars.

@alex_long wrote:

... and has complained his CAD runs slow.

... also keeps the layer manager, properties, xref, sheetset manager, toolpallette, quickcalc and every other window you can open open.

First, I'd wager good money that AutoCAD would actually benchmark better with all 50+ standard toolbars open vs the default Ribbon.   Layer Manager and Properties can certainly have an affect, but neither of those are directly related to Ribbon vs Toolbars.

Secondly,  not everyone's brain processes information in the same way,  so there is no gaurantee that every user will eventually become more productive using the Ribbon interface.

If the Ribbon has made me more productive, I'd say it's mostly because it's taught to rely more on the keyboard and less on tabs, panels, and buttons.

Message 11 of 20
rkmcswain

I generally live by the words attributed to Mark Kiker, and those are "Don't let a management problem become a technical problem"

There are technical ways to accomplish what you want but it would be easier to handle this from a management standpoint. So after all this,, do you still want a straight up technical answer to your query?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 12 of 20
alex_long
in reply to: dgorsman

I try to show the ribbon way as well. I guess it would make more sense if he were using the Classic workspace, but he stays in D&A with the ribbon and the toolbars and it's just clutter. 

I don't really want to mandate anyone honestly. I just need to urge this user to the ribbon and get rid of all the unecessary mess. He's not new to CAD, he's been doing this since Autodesk went to the ribbon. 

Message 13 of 20
alex_long
in reply to: nestly2

Touche on the toolbars and relying on the keyboard. He doesn't create any customs and I notice I use the keyboard/command alias more, point taken.
Message 14 of 20
alex_long
in reply to: rkmcswain

Randy,

The last couple posters have brought good points to my attention as have you. I do still think he is displaying some bad habits but I didn't want to force him to bend to our will. It just seemed like the last alternative before bringing disciplinary action.

I would still like to know how to accomplish this for my own edification but I will not be implementing it in any way.

Thanks,

Alex 

Message 15 of 20
pendean

No one is name calling: you are not acting like a Cad Manager: "I don't understand/like their screen layout so I'm going to take it all away" is your sentiment here.
It appears there may be hidden/underlying passive aggressive attitudes between you two: rise above it, performance/results is what counts in an office, there are ways to address it better if that is the problem. Look around, everyone is agreeing with me and not you.
Message 16 of 20
rkmcswain

@alex_long wrote:

I would still like to know how to accomplish this for my own edification but I will not be implementing it in any way.

I'm thinking I would take a copy of "Acad.cuix" (or whatever the base menu is) and delete all the toolbars from it.

Then keep a copy of this file in a secure location on the server and have it downloaded to the workstation at every boot up.  On the other hand, if I was this user, I could work around that pretty easily. It's gets to be a petty game at some point - hence the reason to solve it from a management standpoint. 🙂 cheers.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 17 of 20
dgorsman

Once you get down to changing individual users to do things a certain way it can really bring out the politics.  If that particullar user sees they are not being singled out there are fewer grounds for complaints.  Its not *that* bad of an idea for new employees, actually.  I've had a few new hires try to do things the way they did at the previous employer (which *don't* fit our established process), so having them start out with a fixed workspace gets them into the company mindset first and personal setting later.

When we first migrated to AutoCAD with the workspace system, I created a number of preset workspaces in the Enterprise CUIx.  Many users are still using them, although they have the ability to re-organize and save a personalized workspace.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 18 of 20
alex_long
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks Randy! I appreciate your help.
Message 19 of 20
alex_long
in reply to: dgorsman

Thank you for your input dgorsman.
Message 20 of 20
pendean

Wait until the user reads this public forum thread ... .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost