Did you mean: 

Help!!! Copy Nested objects, "NCOPY" has quit working all together

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
KyleR13
10395 Views, 6 Replies

Help!!! Copy Nested objects, "NCOPY" has quit working all together

I recently used the ncopy command to copy some line work from an xref and everything was working fine. I went on to run a few other commands and then went back to using ncopy and now it no longer works at all. I have since closed autocad and reopened and ncopy still doesn't work with either xrefs or standard blocks. The command gives the following error message "Unknown command "COPY". Press F1 for help." after I hit enter once all the objects that I want to select are picked. I've tried looking in the "trexblk.lsp" file and to my surprise ncopy isn't a defined function in the file anymore. I'm assuming this is due to ncopy being migrated into the standard autocad commands and no longer part of the express tools add in. Has anyone else had this problem or know of how I can fix it without reinstalling acad?

Thanks

Kyle

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: KyleR13

NCOPY hasn't been an Express Tool is a long time friend.
Are the objects you are selecting on a locked layer?
is your DWG file a different year-version than your top file?
Are you using a vertical, like CIVIL perhaps?
The error is failing command COPY, not "ncopy" so the problem is, well, unique.
Message 3 of 7
KyleR13
in reply to: pendean

I realize that ncopy hasn't been a part of the express tools package since 2011, if memory serves correct, but it was migrated into the otb version after its removal from the express tools package.  Both files are being created and edited in the same version of acad, and in fact I created the xref that contains the objects that I want to copy from a exported dwg out of revit, that was modified and cleaned up prior to being inserted into the for comparison.  I use this tool when updating our structural files to match architectural revisions.  I am definitly not selecting any verticals as this is one of the things I check when cleaning up the revit exported dwg to use as a underlay file for picking up those revisions. 

No the objects are not on a locked layer, this includes in the main file that contains the xref from which I am trying to copy and the xref'd file. 

My copy command works just perfect, that is the sequence of commands that I get when I run the ncopy command. 

PS this problem happens whither I have inserted it as a block or an xref.

Message 4 of 7
pendean

"...exported dwg out of revit..."
That may be a conributing factor: doew NCOPY fail at all with other XREFs you have? Works fine here but none of my XREFs are from REVIT.
Your version of AutoCAD? Windows version?
Message 5 of 7
KyleR13
in reply to: pendean

Yes it does.  Doesn't seem to matter which program created the file, acad or revit, neither works properly. 

ACAD 2012

ACAD 2013 - used the most.

ACAD 2014

Revit 2012

Revit 2013

Revit 2014

All of these are currently installed on my workstation, which runs windows 7 pro. - 64 bit.

Message 6 of 7
rkmcswain

As a test, and possible workaround in these cases....

Run the NCOPY command, pick your object and instead of pressing <enter>, press <escape>

Then run the standard MOVE command, LAST selection.

You may find that the object is being copied from the block/xref, and it exists right on top of the block/xref object.

Doesn't explain why a portion of the NCOPY command is failing, but you may be able to use this as a workaround.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 7
KyleR13
in reply to: rkmcswain

R.K McSwain,

Thanks that does work as workaround and I will definitely use it going forward.  Hopefully there will be an a solution found in the future, because as it stands right now that will take some mental retraining not to hit the space bar, or right click the mouse after my selection.

Thanks again

Kyle

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost