Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics performance worse in 2015 than 2014

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
RChalmers2
434 Views, 10 Replies

Graphics performance worse in 2015 than 2014

Attached is screen shot of the exact same item as displayed in X-Ray mode in AutoCAD 2014 and 2015.  The X-Ray settings are exactly the same for both versions; same computer, same graphics card.  In 2015 it actually looks better with Hardware Acceleration turned off.  Smoothline Display is turned off but it looks the same with it turned on.  (Smoothline Display is kind of a joke anyway because it throws everything out of focus - it's smooth, just out of focus.)

Why does it look so much better in 2014?  Is there some setting I’m forgetting or unaware of in 2015?

Furthermore, it seems that everyday operations like move, copy, etc. are a bit slower in 2015.  No I haven't timed it and done a measured test, I just use autocad hours a day and have a sense that it's slower in 2015.

I have to say this one of the reasons I resisted subscription for so long.  So called “improvements” frequently aren’t.

Between this and the not snapping to correct points, I must say I'm kind of disappointed with my subscription choice.  Likely not to renew.

Frustrating.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: RChalmers2

2015 introduced a new system that is for the most part will be the future in later products running Win8 primarily.
2014 is the older product.

AutoCAD-centric drivers are what you may need if you want to stick with 2015: or operate with hardware acceleration off. If you need to drop back do do as well: you have to do what works best for you.
Message 3 of 11
RChalmers2
in reply to: pendean

So what are you saying?
Message 4 of 11
pendean

Message 5 of 11
RChalmers2

Nothing posted....
Are you saying that there is no way to get 2015 to display as well as 2014?
Message 6 of 11
pendean

2015 is different from 2014: not sure what part of my reply was difficult.

if you want a specific answer though you will need to post a DWG file of yours with the problem for others to try and replciate: posting a snapshot is nice but no one can dig a little deeper that you have.
Message 7 of 11
RChalmers2

Attached is a file I created in 2014 that displays very roughly in 2015.

I tried creating an original drawing in 2015 to see if it matter, but it didn't.  Both drawings display degraded in 2015.

Message 8 of 11
RChalmers2

Got it to display like 2014 by restoring the defaults in the Graphics Performance dialogue box.   I did mess around with those settings but not sure what I did that would have degraded the X-ray visual style.

Message 9 of 11
dgorsman

The display system has been changed due to XP no longer being supported and Win8/8.1/future release has to be supported, so graphics cards which were capable under 2013 in XP and marginal under 2014 under Win7 (although no noticeable problems) may not work properly under 2015.  We had the same issue when upgrading to AutoCAD 2008 - a number of our graphics cards were no longer supported.  Fact of life in the computer world: at some point hardware doesn't function like it used to since new software is being designed around newer hardware.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 11
GrantsPirate

I opened your dwg on 2014 and 2015 and they looked identical here.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 11 of 11
afuestel
in reply to: dgorsman

There is also a trick for switching AutoCAD to the older graphics using DirectX 9. I think I have seen it on cadforum.

Alex

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost