Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Georeference problem:Import raster image.ECW with worldfile.ERS file on AutoCAD

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
fed.catania
7421 Views, 15 Replies

Georeference problem:Import raster image.ECW with worldfile.ERS file on AutoCAD

I have an .ECW file with associated world file .ERS (for georeferencing) and I would insert it into AutoCAD. You can understand that this file hasn't embedded positioning informations. These informations are located into the .ERS file.
I know that AutoCAD since 2012 natively supports files .ECW, While up to version AutoCAD 2011 you had to install the Raster Design 2011 Object Enabler to view ECW files.
Now I tried to attach the file .ECW using the commands insert--> external references --> attach image , but AutoCAD asks to me scale factor and insertion point. This is the problem, the image is not georeferenced, is like AutoCAD doesn't read the associated file .ERS. The image is inserted on the origin of axis (0,0,0). -See the screenshot-
I Know that exists "GeoRefImg" add-on and I installed it, but it doesn't work with the .ERS format. Using the GEOREFIMG command it responds saying "FILE NOT FOUND". This add-on works good georeferencing with world file .EWW format.

Now the question is, how can I import my file .ECW  whit his associated .ERS world file on AutoCAD, maintaining the correct georeference ??

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
rkmcswain
in reply to: fed.catania

AutoCAD Map should be able to do this. I'll be watching this thread to see if plain vanilla AutoCAD can. Unfortunately, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing not since there are 3rd party tools for this:

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3aGeoRefImg%...

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 16
pendean

AutoCAD MAP or AutoCAD Civil3D are designed to do what you seek, unless you want to pick this up (and other tools noted above): http://www.cadstudio.cz/georefimg
Message 4 of 16
fed.catania

Read my precedent post please. I have alredy installed GeoRefImg, but it doesn't work with .ERS world file extension.

Thank you for your kindness, but you do not help me. AutoCAD is not good for this, I will try AutoCADMap.

Message 5 of 16

I have the same problem with Map2013, and I have it with all georeferenced formats. Cad simply doesn't read data from second file.

Any answers?

Message 6 of 16
pendean
in reply to: tomislav_vargek

Message 7 of 16
tomislav_vargek
in reply to: pendean

I have Map2013 and this hotfix is for 2014-2017.

Message 8 of 16
Murph_Map

With Autocad Map3D the correct command is Mapiinsert if you want it to be geo-referenced and scaled correctly.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 9 of 16
john.vellek

Hi @fed.catania,

I don't believe this functionality is available in native AutoCAD.  I suggest you contact the manufacturer of that add-in to see what they say?

Normally I would suggest that this operation would be best performed in AutoCAD Map.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 10 of 16

@pendean nevertheless I tried it and didn't work 😞

Message 11 of 16
tomislav_vargek
in reply to: Murph_Map

@Murph_Map I am using that...

Message 12 of 16
Murph_Map

What coordinate system(s) are involved? 

Murph
Message 13 of 16
tomislav_vargek
in reply to: Murph_Map

The coordinates are in Croatia's system Cropos and I've put files to see. On my buddies PC it works normally with those files and many others like that. The .txt file is actually .jgw but I had to change extension cause I can't upload here jgw.

Message 14 of 16

I've just find out that it imports georeferenced image, but ONLY .tif format. I was playing with Quantum and exporting image in many formats to try it out with cad, and, as I found out, my MAP will import only .tif. Why only that, I can't tell.

Message 15 of 16
Murph_Map

@tomislav_vargek wrote:

I've just find out that it imports georeferenced image, but ONLY .tif format. I was playing with Quantum and exporting image in many formats to try it out with cad, and, as I found out, my MAP will import only .tif. Why only that, I can't tell.

If it worked in your buddies computer and not in yours then try a repair of your Map3D, sounds like you have a corrupt install. Also you may want to post the questions in the Map3D Forum to get more replies. 

Murph
Message 16 of 16
vmichl_cs
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi,

GeoRefImg supports only the standard georeference world files - i.e. .EWW world files in case of .ECW images (no XML, no ECW-specific formats)

Vladimir Michl, www.cadstudio.cz  www.cadforum.cz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost