Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Font style not working on new computer

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
alexjohns
1965 Views, 6 Replies

Font style not working on new computer

I recently got a new computer at work but now some of my font styles aren't showing up as they did before: the font is different and the formating is not the same.  I still have access to my old computer, which still has AutoCAD on it and the drawings show up fine.  I looked in the forum and people have mentioned sending the font style to the new computer but I am not sure how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Patchy
in reply to: alexjohns

Open autocad in each PC,

Type in like this  at the command line:

(findfile "fonts")

Go to the right FONTS file and  take the fonts from old PC and copy to new PC

If the fonts were .TTF go to Windows and install the fonts from old PC

Message 3 of 7
alexjohns
in reply to: Patchy

Thank you very much for the quick response.  I will try this.  How do you copy the font file from one computer to another?  I have never done this before.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 7
Patchy

Go to Walmart and buy a flash drive, plug in the old PC's USB port, open FONTS folder, Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+C ; Open flash drive Ctrl+V

Uplug from old PC, plug it to new PC's USB port, open FONTS folder............

You must have done this a few times already...........

This is how I do it with Windows PC, if it's MAC, I don't know how.

Message 5 of 7
dgorsman

Could you specify which font this is?  Include the extension (SHX or TTF).  The process is slightly different for each.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 7
scot-65

In most instances you can filter the SHX fonts by date and only grab the ones that have a unique date. After doing so, create a stand-alone folder, place these SHX fonts inside, and declare a support path (Options, Files tab) to this folder. The next computer you get you will know what SHX fonts to carry over.
For the TTFonts, these, I have noticed, are slightly revised styles even though they have the same name. You need to know which ones you will use and compare to the list of installed TTF in the windows/fonts folder.
For sake of simplicity, take your unique TTF and place in the SHX folder. To load into your new machine, simply highlight the TTF's, right-click, and select the "Install" line.
FYI: By uninstalling AutoCAD from the old computer, the uninstall program will remove all the SHX files that it originally installed and leave you with the ones it did not install.

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 7 of 7
alexjohns
in reply to: scot-65

Thanks again for the help.  I am not able to transfer files from one computer to another since they are work PC's, so I need to get the IT department to do it and I haven't been able to determine if either of these solutions work yet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost