AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
compassray
Message 1 of 9 (3,026 Views)

Flatshot command

3026 Views, 8 Replies
05-02-2012 09:16 AM

In AutoCAD 2012 when I made flatshots from 3d objects the resulting flatshots would be full scale. In 2013 the flatshots are a fraction of the actual size. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know if there are settings/options for the flatshot command. The command prompt says it's creating them at 1:1 scale. Thanks

Active Contributor
PaulCloutier
Message 2 of 9 (3,011 Views)

Re: Flatshot command

05-02-2012 12:49 PM in reply to: compassray

Hello

Here in 2013 the 2D Flatshot is 1=1. Verify the option "scale" in the Flatshot command.

Footrot
Message 3 of 9 (2,734 Views)

02-26-2013 02:41 PM in reply to: compassray

I have had this trouble to! For some reason it doesn't matter what the units are set to in the file that is created when you export it to a file it will always be at the wrong scale when you bring it in as a block into a new drawing. The work around that I have found is to open a blank drawing which is set up as you would expect with regards to units then do a copy and past to original co-ordinates. This then seams to be ok for inserting into a new drawing as a block file.

In my version of AutoCAD 2012 I can not get it to use the layer function properly. If you choose "bylayer" or "byblock" in the colour setting you will always get the output as white. It seams to ignor the layer properties. Very anoying as it means time reworking the output file to be more representative of the original design file. Any know solutions? Why is there no "bylayer" setting to flatten the objects but keep the layer names and colours or linetypes?

Life would be dull without a picture or drawing!
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 9 (2,720 Views)

02-26-2013 06:32 PM in reply to: Footrot

Any reason you are not using the new viewbase command rather than flatshot?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Footrot
Message 5 of 9 (2,713 Views)

02-26-2013 08:43 PM in reply to: compassray

I have not discovered this option/command until now. I will experiment with it. I somehow think that it still may not suit the style of drafting I am doing. It may suit small component drafting but when you start to put a lot of small components togeather to form a big item like a bridge or building it could be more time consuming than it is worth.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 6 of 9 (2,679 Views)

02-27-2013 11:32 AM in reply to: Footrot

The viewbase command was enhanced in the 2013 release with section and detail views.

The big advantage to viewbase is that the views are associative - if you change the model the views update to reflect the change.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Footrot
Message 7 of 9 (2,620 Views)

03-07-2013 08:34 PM in reply to: compassray

Ok I have played with the viewbase command and have a question. Is there anyway you can show only part of the view of the model when you choose "plan" or "Front" view for example? If an object is long and narrow it is an advantage to introduce break lines in a view. This doesn't appear to be an option for this type of view. Or are you required to set up views of the model then choose this as an option? It would be handy if you could stretch the side of the "view" of the model so that you can only see part of it like you can with a viewport boundary. If you could do this then you could show each end and leave out the boring bit in the middle that is taken for granted. Sure dimensions wouldn't be associative but who cares as you can quickly go down to model view and find out what they are in real life. And if you do use section etc. then the way they are represented and cut leaves a lot to be desired to say the least! Placing everything in hidden linework for stuff behind the cutting plane even though it would be visible as a solid line as a visible edge is just rediculous. Thus a complicated model requires hours of manual edits even when stripped to the simple forms.

Or am I missing something of value? Any help would be appreciated.

Distinguished Mentor
skintsubby
Message 8 of 9 (2,613 Views)

03-07-2013 11:06 PM in reply to: JDMather

JD.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but the viewbase command only works with Inventor Parts / Assemblies. It doesn't work with AutoCAD models. So it may not be a viable option for users using plain AutoCAD.

Mark

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 9 of 9 (2,599 Views)

03-08-2013 03:53 AM in reply to: skintsubby

When running the command your are given the option to select AutoCAD Solids or Inventor .

It runs with both. 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube