Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fillet one corner where a solid and surface meet?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
autocadcollegestudent
1628 Views, 6 Replies

Fillet one corner where a solid and surface meet?

Hello,

I'm trying to create a 3D model of a bracket. At the moment I have a structual support or a rib (drawn using MESH then CONVTOSURFACE) that joins two solids together.

What I would like to do is fillet the 90 degree edges where objects meet. This would be a realistic representation of welding.

However, Autocad says "cannot blend this edge". Autocad doesn't even say why?

I've tried converting everything into a surface then use SURFFILET.

But Autocad then says "cannot create a fillet surface of radius 3.00 from the selected surfaces." I'm guessing Autocad means the fillet radius is too big. However Autocad must be looking at all edges rather than the one specific edge I want.

When I try to turn the rib into a solid using CONVTOSOLID . Autocad says "3 objects cannot be converted". As far as I'm concerned the rib is a closed box with no overlaps.

Any ideas how I can overcome this?

At the moment, I'm studying CADD at college and it seems most of my efforts are working around around Autocads niggles to get the outcome you want

Thanks,

Ben.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

You should be posting in the ACAD for mac forum.

Message 3 of 7

@autocadcollegestudent wrote:

At the moment, I'm studying CADD at college and it seems most of my efforts are working around around Autocads niggles to get the outcome you want

Thanks,

Ben. 

That should be a trivial simple assembly to model with only solids (no surfaces needed) in AutoCAD, but then, I have no experience with the Mac version.

Can you attach your *.dwg file here (the entire thing should only take 20 minutes to model if working from given dimensions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7

Sorry if I posted my question in the wrong section. It's Autocad 2013 for Mac that I used.

JDMather, thanks for your reply. The top section is a trapezoid shape. I thought it would be quicker to construct the trapezoid by drawing the outline using 8 lines then using the Edge Mesh command. Then I used the boolean subtract to cut the cylinders from the ends of the trapezoid. This left me the object as whats seen in the attachment. I hoped to convert the object to a solid.

I'm now thinking about deleting the trapezoid and redraw it again using 2 solid wedges back to back,then cut them to shape. I've had a quick play in the second attachment. Hopefully once this is a solid, thats the end of my fillet troubles 🙂 Looks like you cant fillet a solid a surface together.

Message 5 of 7

Those are image files.  I am not familiar with editing image files in AutoCAD.

I specifically requested a *.dwg file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 7

JDMather, sorry this forum said the .dwg file was too big in size to attach, so I had to take screenshots instead.

However, you were correct when yous suggested it should only be modelled from solids. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... After deleting the trapezoid object I made from meshes and surfaces and then redrawing it as a solid. I then managed to union the touching solids and place the fillets where I wanted. Case solved. Looks like Autocad wouldn't allow a surface to be unioned and filleted to a solid.

Message 7 of 7

I use surfaces to create solids all the time - but this geometry was so simple - no surfacing needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost