Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Saving on server

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jamied2000
489 Views, 5 Replies

File Saving on server

I will have a drawing open for a couple hours.  Then someone else on the server will open up the same file that I already have open.  It will not tell them to open it read only so they will have full permissions.  I will then say that when i go to save it that it is read only on my computer.  Any idea of why Autocad does this?  It has been doing it for 3-4 years on me.  I was also told by another coworker that it happens to then even if they start a new drawing.  After a little while when they go to say it Autocad says its read only.  So I am baffled as to why it would do it on a brand new drawing not even saved yet.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rkmcswain
in reply to: jamied2000

My guess would be that it's something to do with the server. Give us some specs on your server environment. O/S? Any SAN or NAS involved?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 6
jamied2000
in reply to: rkmcswain

The reason that I am thinking that it might not be the server is when other fellow employees have started a new drwing from there c drive is sometimes still does the same thing.

Message 4 of 6
sthompson1021

I was going to direct you to the April Knowledge Base post. They have a section on dwg saves as tmp file but clicking the link didn't work for me. There have been a lot of posts with this problem or something similar and everything I've seen has pointed to the server or connection.

Message 5 of 6
steve216586

What is the duration between backups on your server system? If it creates a backup while you have a drawing open, then your open drawing is then NOT the current drawing. Then, when someone else opens the now current drawing they have full permissions. In order to save your work, you would have to SAVEAS and overwrite the now current file. But then that would eliminate the work the second user has accomplished on that file.

Your server administrator may have to adjust backup intervals. We had this problem before our IT guy changed it to once every 24 hours, and then at 1:00am to make sure nobody had an open file from the servers.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 6 of 6
pothied
in reply to: sthompson1021

Here is the link to the save as tmp article:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/DWG-file-saves-as-TMP-extension

David Pothier

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost