Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fields in Xrefs

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tclark050682
1342 Views, 2 Replies

Fields in Xrefs

Is it possible to use a field in an xref that will update based on sheet set properties? I have tried to use a title block as an xref with fields in mtext referring to sheet set properties but no Luck. I bound the title block into the sheet drawing and still no luck. When I exploded it the field updated. Not very useful to me if the text needs to be live in the sheet. What seems to be some options in using fields with title blocks? Xref's would be the most idea given that they include other items such as consulant logo's that change as new one come on board,etc. Or if a new field was to be added, using an xref would mean doing it once instead openning a bunch of drawings and adding it. Thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: tclark050682

The FIELD is in the 'other' drawing so to speak, not in your current active file: probably why it's not working the way you want it to do.
Message 3 of 3
jggerth1
in reply to: tclark050682

@tclark050682 wrote:

Is it possible to use a field in an xref that will update based on sheet set properties? I have tried to use a title block as an xref with fields in mtext referring to sheet set properties but no Luck. I bound the title block into the sheet drawing and still no luck. When I exploded it the field updated. Not very useful to me if the text needs to be live in the sheet. What seems to be some options in using fields with title blocks? Xref's would be the most idea given that they include other items such as consulant logo's that change as new one come on board,etc. Or if a new field was to be added, using an xref would mean doing it once instead openning a bunch of drawings and adding it. Thoughts?

Generally speaking - the efficient way to do that is with two parts:  an XREF that holds all the information that is consistent across the project, and a block insert that has fields for the information that changes per sheet.    XREF updates as required, and the block information updates with any change to the sheet/sheet set information.

I've pretty much standardized on using nothing but blocks - but I don't don't have many subs jumping in and out of the job.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost